Are there any socket 754 or 939 motherboards

Alexey Romanov

Apr 3, 2006
I have a SATA II hard drive w/ NCQ, an older IDE drive and an AGP graphic card. It seems that pretty much all boards that support SATA II have PCI-E slots only :( Are there any exceptions?

The only motherboard I've found that supports SATA II and AGP is ASRock 939Dual-SATA2, but it isn't clear if it supports NCQ (I've read the SATA-II drivers aren't too good). Does anybody know this? It is also socket 939 and I would prefer 754 if possible.

This is pretty urgent for me, so please answer if you can!

grooge

Dec 23, 2004
NCQ will most likely slow down the system, as it is designed for server environnement and not desktop. So, you should not be concerned with.

I have the Asrock, with a SATAII HDD, running in SATA1 mode and everything is fine. I don't need SATAII hotswapping feature too..

Alexey Romanov

Apr 3, 2006
Huh. Well, if NCQ really isn't much use, I can just buy about any SATA motherboard. But all reviews I've seen basically say that 3 Gb/s part of SATA II is pretty much useless, but NCQ is a good thing in most situations. Can anybody else advise me on this?

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
ncq is useful in a heavily multitasked environment and well a server one would be one of those.

but if you say have 4 torrents running , and are say swapping to disk and copying files and ripping a dvd at the same time it should help a bit. that said it probably doesnt really matter most of th etime.

300 mbps is useless though.

grooge

Dec 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Alexey Romanov
Huh. Well, if NCQ really isn't much use, I can just buy about any SATA motherboard. But all reviews I've seen basically say that 3 Gb/s part of SATA II is pretty much useless, but NCQ is a good thing in most situations. Can anybody else advise me on this?

3gbs is interface speed.. no hdd would actually use that bandwidth. Fact is, even the Raptor, which is the fastest drive around is still SATA1 and don't even saturate the SATA1 interface..

NCQ is useful in server operation where lots of different files have to be read/write in short time, which is not what desktop user do. Desktop usually read on one file at the time.

Unl;ess you multitask a lot, and I say a lot.. then ncq will probably create more overhead on the subsystem that it won't help at the end of the day.

My experience with NCQ is that my computer looks like it was running slower and not as responsive as without it.