Are there any rules about legislating while drunk?

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Meh, he still speaks better than a sober GWB did and he makes a lot more sense.

sciwizam

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
Probably had a shot each time he thought of including the word "bipartisan" in his speech

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I forget the Republican, but right after the Republicans took over in '94 they kicked him out for decades of feeling up the elevator operators and aids. His excuse for the one that got him expelled was that he was drunk; the girl replied "Maybe, but he was on his way to the floor to vote." I doubt it's that uncommon.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I forget the Republican, but right after the Republicans took over in '94 they kicked him out for decades of feeling up the elevator operators and aids. His excuse for the one that got him expelled was that he was drunk; the girl replied "Maybe, but he was on his way to the floor to vote." I doubt it's that uncommon.

At least they kicked him out (eventually). :D

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Well if you cannot give consent when you are drunk, I doubt you can enter into a legal contract. I would also guess that since he cannot give consent he "technically" cannot vote.

Nothing however, will be done about this.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well if you cannot give consent when you are drunk, I doubt you can enter into a legal contract. I would also guess that since he cannot give consent he "technically" cannot vote.

Nothing however, will be done about this.

Why not? I think I speak for a vast majority of workers when I say I can't be drunk when I'm working. If I was I'd be fired immediately. This guy should be no different - especially considering he's being paid by our taxes and allegedly representing our best interests.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
At least they kicked him out (eventually). :D

Yes. I imagine for the Dems it was useful to have such an idiot Republican so they let him stay, whereas for the 'Pubbies it was more embarrassing so they kicked him out. (But then I have trouble ascribing anything in Washington DC to pure morals.)

Ah, Bob Packwood. (What a name for a serial groper!) I remember that although he was a serial groper, he had a good record on "women's issues" which is supposedly why NOW et al never pushed for his expulsion.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Why not? I think I speak for a vast majority of workers when I say I can't be drunk when I'm working. If I was I'd be fired immediately. This guy should be no different - especially considering he's being paid by our taxes and allegedly representing our best interests.

aahahahahahaa!

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Heh. I'm sure it's a longstanding bipartisan American tradition, at every level of government. The actual state of consciousness really isn't an issue wrt the voting itself- what matters is the level of sobriety in the consideration and judgement used to determine the vote.

When Repubs controlled both the legislative and executive branches during the GWB years, they were drunk on power the whole time... not to mention being intellectually and emotionally crippled by cookie cutter litmus test ideology...

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
It's really annoying that every single thread turns into a "the other team was worse" shit fest. I don't care how many on each side are fucked up, or how it's ok for Senator dickweed to screw a kid because Senator numbnuts screwed two, I just want them gone. A worthless drunken piece of crap is a worthless drunken piece of crap, no matter what letter is after his name.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Don't America's drunks deserve representation? No doubt many ordinary voters cast their vote while under the influence.
Though its not fair on the nation's stoners and crack-heads. They need to demand to be represented also.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Don't America's drunks deserve representation? No doubt many ordinary voters cast their vote while under the influence.
Though its not fair on the nation's stoners and crack-heads. They need to demand to be represented also.

You had Kennedy for damn near fifty years, and Bush for eight, how much representation do you need?

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
they exempted them selves from drug/alcohol testing so who's surprised??

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Why would you say that? You see what they did to Charles Rengal with the investigations into his actions?

William Jefferson didn't get the boot from office until an election.
I am not going to hold me breath and wait for Pelosi and the Democrats to "drain the swamp".

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Teddy did it for almost 50 years.

Teddy also killed a woman while being drunk and then left the crime scene.
I would like to think that killing someone while being drunk is worse than legislating while drunk.......

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Teddy also killed a woman while being drunk and then left the crime scene.
I would like to think that killing someone while being drunk is worse than legislating while drunk.......

One less democrat....just sayin'...you sure you're upset about that?

Last edited: