• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Are there any Picture in Picture TV's available to buy?

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Jan 23, 2007
In the next few months, I'm probably finally going to upgrade from our old 1080p TV to a 4K TV. The main feature that I'd like to have is picture in picture. When I'm watching things like Hulu that come up with commercials, I'd like to be able to swap over to something else and let the commercial 'play' in the smaller screen. If I actually switch over to another input presently, Hulu seems to be able to tell, and the commercial pauses until I come back.

I remember really enjoying this feature - like being able to watch part of one game show while waiting for the other to come back from commercials. I truly miss the feature, and would like to pay to get it back. Are there any sets that still have it? Thanks so much!

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
PIP was a feature based on dual tuners. Now a days I am not aware of any tv sets with two tuners, let alone being able to play two streaming services. Some might do broadcast plus a stream.

Last edited:

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
My 43" 4k monitor allows PIP/PBP using two separate input devices. I have a fireTV cube hooked up to one of the inputs, and my desktop PC hooked up to another. It allows me to display the two inputs side by side each with 50% of the screen, or top and bottom, again both with 50% of the screen. It also allows for a 2x2 grid of 4 different 1080p inputs. Or traditional PIP with one source full screen, and the other in a box in one of the corners (all 4 corners are options)

Though it is a bit cumbersome to switch inputs back and forth, and takes a good 3-5 seconds to switch between PiP and non PiP modes. BUT since the PiP input is treated identically to any other monitor input as far as the source device is concerned, hulu (or any other streaming service) would have no idea if you're watching or not.

As far as 4k TVs and PiP modes, especially when dealing with built-in smart TV apps, I have no idea.

pic related
20210427_124157.jpg

ASK THE COMMUNITY