Are there any mail order record clubs left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I should say CD music clubs.
I noticed BMG has gone bye bye or been sold. And columbia house only has the DVD movie club. So no music CD clubs? Did the mp3 and itunes kill them off? I liked BMG. You got 5 free, then bought one at club price, then after got 6 more free. So it was like 11 free CD's for the cost of the one. Columbia house was and still is with their DVD club just a racket.

JMapleton

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2008
Whats a mail order "record club"? Like a wine club, where they send you a random cd every month?

acheron

Diamond Member
May 27, 2008
I used to use BMG too, all through high school and college. It went away a couple years ago. I'm pretty sure iTunes killed the concept.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Whats a mail order "record club"? Like a wine club, where they send you a random cd every month?

That's pretty much exactly it. You either returned the card they sent you in the mail, or they charged you $24 or so for some CD based on your genre selections, when you could have just gone to the store and bought it for $10-17.

acheron

Diamond Member
May 27, 2008
That's pretty much exactly it. You either returned the card they sent you in the mail, or they charged you $24 or so for some CD based on your genre selections, when you could have just gone to the store and bought it for $10-17.

? Not sure what club you were using; BMG usually charged about $8/CD, when you could go to the store and buy it for $17. That's why I used it so much. Also you could respond online rather than sending in the card (at least starting around 1997 or so).

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
? Not sure what club you were using; BMG usually charged about $8/CD, when you could go to the store and buy it for $17. That's why I used it so much. Also you could respond online rather than sending in the card (at least starting around 1997 or so).

It was $17 if you were a sucker and went to Sam Goody or something :p
You including shipping/handling in that $8? I was on BMG, and IIRC the only way to get good prices was to get multiple CDs in one order.
You could also call and opt out of the automatic CD thing, which I did.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
You including shipping/handling in that $8? I was on BMG, and IIRC the only way to get good prices was to get multiple CDs in one order. You could also call and opt out of the automatic CD thing, which I did.
The 'selected CD' for the month was never a good deal, the one they sent you automatically unless you returned the card or called to decline it. Neither were most of their new releases. But if you ordered from their special sale sections, purchased multiple CDs and avoided new releases, it was a good deal. I ordered a couple hundred CDs from BMG and Columbia at various times, and paid somewhere around $8.00 or $9.00 per CD (on average) shipping included. This was back in the 90s when CD prices at retail were at an all-time high.

Status
Not open for further replies.