Question Are there any issues using NVME drives for page file?

boing

Sep 13, 2001
I built a new system (below) for rendering on 3DS Max thinking that 32GB of RAM should cover me and if not, running an NVME HDD would let the page file run pretty well to handle any overspill. Problem is, I run out of RAM quite a bit on certain types of render and when I do I'm getting a total system shut down and reboot, a crash of 3DS Max or a graphics driver failure. Not even a BSOD just a shutdown. I've checked that the page file is enabled and set to 'managed by windows' and that there is 60GB of spare space, I'm running default wind 10 drivers as the Samsung driver was causing me issues with instability during rendering too. Is this a common problem? the drive seems to be functioning normally in allother regards and the Samsung health and performance checks look good.

CPU - Threadripper 1950X
MB - Gigabyte X399 AORUS Gaming 7
GPU - Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 Ti
HDD C: - Samsung Evo 960 500GB
RAM - G Skill F4-3200C14-8GFX (32GB)
OS - Win 10 64 bit.
PSU - Seasonic SSR - 750 GD

Last edited:

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
If you're getting random reboots that aren't even generating Events or BSODs then I think you've got something more wrong than just using Page file.

To answer your specific question, there's nothing wrong with using your NVMe disk as a Page File. But you shouldn't be crashing from using the Page File, just like you shouldn't be crashing from using the Samsung driver. I think you've got more wrong here, and this is more a symptom, than the cause.

ItsFlybye

Apr 30, 2018
When I have a system just shut down like that, it has been typically due to a failing PSU regardless of its age. Rendering is going to turn up the juice requirements from when just sitting on idle, and the PSU will be like ok OK OKAY over and out. Even after testing all the rails to be well within spec, and having sufficient amount of wattage, I have had them still fail on me.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
chkdsk /f /v /r on the nvme drive, reboot for the test to start as it requests.
for the results, eventvwr > windows logs > application log > source wininit at around the time the test completed.

also, eventvwr > windows logs > system, look for ntfs/disk warnings errors that refer to harddisk0 , C drive, etc.