Are there any issues playing games with USB based keyboards?

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
I'm thinking of buying a new USB based keyboard to replace my PS/2 keyboard. Are there any issues with playing games using a USB based keyboard?

The reason I'm doing this is because I just ordered a new Belkin KVM switch with DVI. It has USB based keyboard and mouse so I have to buy a new keyboard.

teckmaster

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2000
na, I've been using a usb keyboard for over 2 years now and pretty much all I do is play games.

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
Originally posted by: teckmaster
na, I've been using a usb keyboard for over 2 years now and pretty much all I do is play games.

How do you get into BIOS? I thought USB keyboards are only active after Windows starts.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: TommyVercetti
Originally posted by: teckmaster

How do you get into BIOS? I thought USB keyboards are only active after Windows starts.

Depends on the mobo. All of mine, you have to access BIOS with a PS/2 board first, enable USB keyboard, enable USB mouse and it's done. I havn't seen a board without this option since the end of Socket 7.

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
Oh, I guess this means I have to use my old PS/2 keyboard first to go to the bios screen in order to enable support for USB keyboards?

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: StormRider
Oh, I guess this means I have to use my old PS/2 keyboard first to go to the bios screen in order to enable support for USB keyboards?

Yep. Just do it for every box you build on the first POST. There's no reason for it to be disabled anyway, and I'm still pissed that the manufacturers refuse to make it the default setting.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
not that i've seen. i had an Abit Max board and it didn't even have PS/2 ports. You had to use a native USB keyboard to access the BIOS. never had any problems with that.