Are there any ideas for destroying domes?

positivedoppler

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2012
As the country bakes in 100 degree heat for weeks, I wonder can scientists figure out a solution for this d? Perhaps detonating explosive at high altitude to create a temporary low pressure funnel for heat to escape. i tried googling for ways to destroy heat domes but all i can find are suggestions to stay cool. has anyone here heard of any far fetch ideas or have one of their own?

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
We could fill up a rocket full of ice cubes, launch it above the heat dome, then blow it up.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
They could backfeed power into wind turbines to convert them into fans!
Funny that you would mention that. I actually believe that the emergence of "heat domes" is because of Wind Power. Unlike Solar (in a way) Wind Power is VERY dangerous. It draws / steal energy from an entropic environmental system chaotic attractor. (Damped / driven system.) Thus reducing the overall energy of weather systems, thus leading to "stagnant areas" aka Heat Domes.

If only we hadn't stolen the power from the weather! They will eventually exclaim.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Funny that you would mention that. I actually believe that the emergence of "heat domes" is because of Wind Power. Unlike Solar (in a way) Wind Power is VERY dangerous. It draws / steal energy from an entropic environmental system chaotic attractor. (Damped / driven system.) Thus reducing the overall energy of weather systems, thus leading to "stagnant areas" aka Heat Domes.

If only we hadn't stolen the power from the weather! They will eventually exclaim.
We create more drag by just building buildings that we do through power generation. Not even close to a thing to consider. The dynamics that keep air currents moving aren't going to be affected by our constructs at this point in time.

Heat dome emergence is entirely to do with rising atmospheric temperatures, nothing more needed to explain it.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Why is it we when we have a problem we always want to treat the symptoms instead of the cause?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

Maybe the solution is to level ALL hills/mountains and trees to make the earth more "aerodynamic" ???

:p ;)

I REALLY hope you've just forgotten the "/s" on the above-quoted post! (this is some seriously idiotic tinfoil-hat material if not)

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Oh, I know, we can launch a spacecraft and helicopter team to move a huge tube into the center of the heat dome, allowing the heat to rise through the various spheres and vent harmlessly into space, since, as everyone knows, heat rises! Wow, I'm such a genius. If I keep this up I could be the next SaltyNuts (hallowed be his name).

Reactions: Captante

positivedoppler

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2012
Why is it we when we have a problem we always want to treat the symptoms instead of the cause?

Because I don't see a path for treating the cause, and even if we did, the problems are still here. For the sake of argument and assuming global warming is real and caused by man made greenhouse emission, and that the impact is catastrophic.

1. Damage is here to stay for some time. If we were to somehow cease all emission, the carbon's still in the atmosphere. Things will only stop getting worse...maybe. It took hundreds of millions of years for organic life to accumulate the quantities of fossil fuel stored within the earth so I don't think all that carbon is going to go back over night.

2. There is no political solution on the horizon. Assuming that immediate stoppage of all emission will make everything better, how do we get there? We can't stop China, Russia, and India. Within the United States, we can't get our act together. I don't think our elected politicians actually wants to solve the problem. If they actually do want to solve this, there would be a bill that deals with ONLY helping green energy like solar, wind, EV, nuclear, etc .... I strongly believe such a bill would get the support of most voters on the left, mid, and a huge chunk of the right. But such a bill does not exist. Instead, we get so called green bills bundled with minimum wage, abortion, healthcare, eliminating fossil energy etc...stuff that right leaning folks would never support. Even portions of the bill that deals with clean energy has an infusion of poison politics(example exclusion of Tesla in favor of the other Detroit car companies). I'm not advocating one party or another and I don't want to inject politics into this, I'm just stating given the political climate in this country I don't see a political solution.

Nov 17, 2019
Earth is like a hundred thousand quatrillion times more powerful than anything we peons will ever create.

It will shake off anything we've ever done or will ever do ..... once it gets rid of us.

The idea of destroying or altering an atmospheric feature is akin to the idea of destroying a concrete wall with a single dartboard dart. You might put a small barely noticeable pock mark in it, but nothing more.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Earth is like a hundred thousand quatrillion times more powerful than anything we peons will ever create.

It will shake off anything we've ever done or will ever do ..... once it gets rid of us.

The idea of destroying or altering an atmospheric feature is akin to the idea of destroying a concrete wall with a single dartboard dart. You might put a small barely noticeable pock mark in it, but nothing more.

Reactions: Captante and olds
Jul 27, 2020
Get all available helicopters to hover as high as possible in the area. Don't ask me why. Maybe it will work.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Plant a trillion trees, stop all use of internal combustion engines and wait 100 years.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Preferably by killing as many humans at possible.
Prevent Hitler from ordering Rommel back to Germany instead of going to Normandy like he wanted.
He was almost there when the orders came.

Wonder how successful the Allies would be if Rommel arrived with his tank division?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Oh, I know, we can launch a spacecraft and helicopter team to move a huge tube into the center of the heat dome, allowing the heat to rise through the various spheres and vent harmlessly into space, since, as everyone knows, heat rises! Wow, I'm such a genius. If I keep this up I could be the next SaltyNuts (hallowed be his name).
Yeah, why can't we vent the heat into space?