Are the google ads user, machine, or ip specific?

SaturnX

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
I always figured they were influenced by content (as per the thread) and then stored in a cookie... although that may be wrong.

myusername

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2003
I actually followed the ad right after I made this thread, and the K&N ad hasn't been back for me since I clicked on it.

Jun 4, 2005
Google AdSense targets towards content, obviously. It'll scan the text and pick out relevant words. Obviously the ad will change once clicked, because who'd click the same thing twice?

Compton

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2000
One of my extensions is showing a script from googlesyndication.com. Its probably scanning the text in the threads you're reading and displaying relevant ads.

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
I used to have a kick-a$$ HOSTS file that blocked almost al ads. But...I went for a reinstall of XP w/o backing it up. Ooops!

myusername

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2003
Originally posted by: altonb1
I used to have a kick-a$$ HOSTS file that blocked almost al ads. But...I went for a reinstall of XP w/o backing it up. Ooops!

I tried blocking ads.google at my router once. It got rid of the ads, but then the website never finished loading :(

Not that I particularly want to get rid of the ads. If they bothered me I would research it. The side ads are fine .. it's the google ads that you often see at the top of pages that bother me more.

What was bothering me is that I was seeing the K&N ad when I was logged in, days after the thread had dropped off the page. I didn't take meticulous notes, but I didn't remember seeing it when I wasn't logged in, and that just seemed a little iffy.

What should I waste my next post on?