Question Are the ethernet ports on all routers completely passthrough?

viivo

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
All software-level settings being equal, is there any signal processing that could differentiate between products’ wired performance?

I ask because wireless performance has never been important to me so I’ve used cheap routers, but I’ve also pretty much always had issues with ping times, packet loss, and latency, even across multiple providers.

For example, with my current connection (1Gb fiber), on a game server hosted 50 miles from me my average ping is in the mid-70s, while others much farther away can be in the 40s and 50s. I know I could test this by going straight from the wall, but the resulting instant outrage at the loss of wifi prevents it.

Reactions: QuietDad

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
It's more likely the routing issues of the ISP providers in your area.

If you are playing games, better use wired ethernet.

Like what VL has said, wired LAN switch/router shouldn't add more than 1 ms for the latency.

==

WAN to LAN throughput router charts, apparently most routers won't add too much latency either.

** I don' t play games **

Last edited:

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
The only time I've seen any latency is when a router is overloaded with the number of devices it's trying to handle. Then as you approach the hardware limits stuff can get wonky. But that's about it. As long as a router has the wan-to-lan performance you need, you don't need to worry.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Never had ATT I take it?

Their router/gateway adds about 4-6ms of latency.

How old is the router? We had 500Mbps service in one of our offices that crumbled during the day. Replacing the router fixed the issue. Sounds like they had a model that was terrible.