Are the "eating" dares in Fear Factor real or faked?

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
For one thing I'm assuming that participants have to sign some kind of consent form "if I die the producers aren't liable" etc.. Obviously for most of them there is no reason why they couldn't be real, eating cockroaches, slugs and worms is at most just disgusting but won't hurt you. Some of the raw meat they eat looks like it's been soaked in disinfectant or something and raw meat isn't usually going to hurt you anyways as long as it's been carefully butchered. Some of the "rotting" stuff they eat though seems more staged. One would think that easting rotting seafood and maggot infested meat would put you in danger of contracting food poisoning. But the real kicker is that on one show they said that one of the dishes was 1000 year old eggs. Now aside from the insanity of that statement there really is such a thing as "1000 year old eggs" well actually that's the Chinese name for salted duck eggs:

Recipe
http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/asia/chinese/thousand-year-old-eggs1.html

Photo:
http://www.foodsubs.com/Photos/saltedduckeggs.jpg

And this was exactly what they were eating too. Having a lot of trouble eating too, never mind the fact that it's a common side dish with congee. So if that's fake why not a lot of the rest. Though the eating of the insects I'm sure is true.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Locut0s
For one thing I'm assuming that participants have to sign some kind of consent form "if I die the producers aren't liable" etc.. Obviously for most of them there is no reason why they couldn't be real, eating cockroaches, slugs and worms is at most just disgusting but won't hurt you. Some of the raw meat they eat looks like it's been soaked in disinfectant or something and raw meat isn't usually going to hurt you anyways as long as it's been carefully butchered. Some of the "rotting" stuff they eat though seems more staged. One would think that easting rotting seafood and maggot infested meat would put you in danger of contracting food poisoning. But the real kicker is that on one show they said that one of the dishes was 1000 year old eggs. Now aside from the insanity of that statement there really is such a thing as "1000 year old eggs" well actually that's the Chinese name for salted duck eggs:

Recipe

Photo:

And this was exactly what they were eating too. Having a lot of trouble eating too, never mind the fact that it's a common side dish with congee. So if that's fake why not a lot of the rest. Though the eating of the insects I'm sure is true.

what do you mean by fake???

everything they do is real, eating the eggs is real, they just play on the fact that ppl dont know wtf it actually is.

MIKE

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
If a common name is "1000 year old eggs" then I don't see what the problem is. Most folks on Fear Factor don't know what 1000 y-o-e are and would find that dish disgusting regardless.

Atomicus

Banned
May 20, 2004
maggots are very clean and in some cases used on patients to remove necrotized tissue from wounds.

as for the rotten food, probably just chemicals which makes it smell and taste bad IMO

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: nourdmrolNMT1

Recipe

Photo:

what do you mean by fake???

everything they do is real, eating the eggs is real, they just play on the fact that ppl dont know wtf it actually is.

MIKE

Well of course. that is what I'm saying. What I mean is that if they are willing to get people to eat insects why the need to fake some other stuff? There are plenty of disgusting things you could eat that won't killing you or seriously make you sick, so they don't really need to make stuff up.

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
Well of course. that is what I'm saying. What I mean is that if they are willing to get people to eat insects why the need to fake some other stuff? There are plenty of disgusting things you could eat without killing you, so they don't really need to make stuff up.

What did they make up?

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Atomicus
maggots are very clean and in some cases used on patients to remove necrotized tissue from wounds.

as for the rotten food, probably just chemicals which makes it smell and taste bad IMO

True but the flies that lay them aren't so clean. However as long as the meat rotted in a controlled environment I imagine it would be perfectly safe to eat.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: royaldank
Well of course. that is what I'm saying. What I mean is that if they are willing to get people to eat insects why the need to fake some other stuff? There are plenty of disgusting things you could eat without killing you, so they don't really need to make stuff up.

What did they make up?

The fact that they were eating rotten eggs.

OulOat

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
I eat 1000 year old eggs all the time. No problems, it's standard Chinese food. You have to realize something; somewhere in the world, someone actually pays money for whatever they are eating in fear factor. Bugs: Canned and live bugs are sold in Africa. Animal heads: Asians eat them (my parents still do, althought heads are hard to come by in the US supermarkets). etc etc.

ucdnam

Golden Member
Jan 28, 2000
Yea, those eggs aren't that bad. You get use to them, especially if you eat them or seen them eaten all your life. Same with quail eggs, coagulated blood, etc. They're all traditional asain dishes.

As a note. The only recorded death from eating insects was some guy who ate a ton of grasshoppers or some other animal with thick legs, and over time, they collected in the passage down to his stomach. They caused a clog and he died.

Yo Ma Ma

Lifer
Jan 21, 2000
Medical maggots are put through a cleansing process before use, and then discarded. Maggots just munching away and passing waste are not really as sanitary, though still probably healthier than having a raging infection in your body, if you had to choose.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: OulOat
I eat 1000 year old eggs all the time. No problems, it's standard Chinese food. You have to realize something; somewhere in the world, someone actually pays money for whatever they are eating in fear factor. Bugs: Canned and live bugs are sold in Africa. Animal heads: Asians eat them (my parents still do, althought heads are hard to come by in the US supermarkets). etc etc.

That's true. I'm 1/2 chinese myself, lived in China and Malaysia and eat all kinds of things regularly that are considered common fair there that I'm sure would make a few people take pause.

hjo3

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: OulOat
You have to realize something; somewhere in the world, someone actually pays money for whatever they are eating in fear factor.
I saw a clip from Fear Factor once where a girl was eating a giant cave spider. There's no way anyone pays to eat those!

cerebusPu

Diamond Member
May 27, 2000
i remember they tried to do fear factor in africa and everyone passed the eating testing with flying colors. several folks thought it was delicious and gobbled it all up. they later changed it to hamburgers and stuff and they were so disgusted by it.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
i dunno about those spiders man... i remember hearing somebody say it bit them while it was in their mouth :Q :Q :Q omfg teh horror

bootymac

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2001
Originally posted by: cerebusPu
i remember they tried to do fear factor in africa and everyone passed the eating testing with flying colors. several folks thought it was delicious and gobbled it all up. they later changed it to hamburgers and stuff and they were so disgusted by it.

LOL

desteffy

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2004
I havent but some of my Chinese friends said they have. Sounds like some of them came to like them after eating them many times, but if someone were to just try it, it would probably taste bad the first time.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Even ABCs like me eat 1000-year-old eggs without a 2nd thought... Good with Ramen too.

CTrain

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
I do think some of the really disgusting food they have given been conjured up to make it look more disgusting than it is.