Are speedometers always off by percentages?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BennyD

Banned
Sep 1, 2002
wtf does "pure digital" look like anyway, binary is just an analogue reprisentation of digital

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: propellerhead
All electronic does not mean not analog.

doesn't even mean it has anything digital in it, to boot

aeroguy

Mar 21, 2002
Originally posted by: notfred
It's off by a percentage, not a set amount (unless it shows 5mph when you're not moving, then maybe the needle got bent or something).

My car is within one percent of accurate, based on mile markers on the freeway. Drive 10 miles, measured by mile marker, and also measure your odometer readings at the start and end. It should be 10.0 miles. if it's 10.1 miles, you're off by about 1%.

I was really bored and did this once. My odometer was showing that I was going further than the mile markers, so I was actually going slower than the speedometer said I was.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Once GPS's make it into all vehicles speed will probably just be based off it. That would be the most accurate I believe.

Also any speedometer will be off a slight bit as tires change in size as they wear or the pressure changes....also different makes have slightly different rolling diameters.

In most areas, it is also why speeding tickets do not carry a point or fine penalty for 4mph or under....

Originally posted by: Koing
Originally posted by: C'DaleRider
Originally posted by: propellerhead
All electronic does not mean not analog.

Thank you.........only an idiot nitpicker would say "But the numbers are analog"..........well, DUH! Surprise, we only read analog.......don't suppose you know anyone who can read pure digital information with their eyes, eh?

Ditto with C'rider. No one reads bloody digital fluent!

hey! speak for yourself!:p

MattCo

Platinum Member
Jan 29, 2001
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Once GPS's make it into all vehicles speed will probably just be based off it. That would be the most accurate I believe. Also any speedometer will be off a slight bit as tires change in size as they wear or the pressure changes....also different makes have slightly different rolling diameters. In most areas, it is also why speeding tickets do not carry a point or fine penalty for 4mph or under....

The only problem with GPS is that it doesn't work in tunnels, under bridges, or inbetween tall buildings.

-MC