Are some Ebay Buyers Just Retarded?

aurareturn

Jul 1, 2005
Look at what this guy is selling:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZnicknaso

Now look at his feedback.

He's selling "sold as is" RAM and says that he doesn't have time to test them all.

People are giving him negative feedback left and right about how the RAM doesn't work. The sad part is, there are still a lot of people bidding on the "as is" RAM. Do they have any common sense or do they just want to throw money away?

Why are Ebay buyers so stupid?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
yeah they are.

i have seen bidding go above the cost of buying the product new.

aurareturn

Jul 1, 2005
I too have seen a lot of items being sold on Ebay at higher prices than brand new from retail stores. They can't type the item in pricegrabber and find out that they're getting ripped off?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: aurareturn
I too have seen a lot of items being sold on Ebay at higher prices than brand new from retail stores. They can't type the item in pricegrabber and find out that they're getting ripped off?

its not just ebay. i have seen things in teh FS/FT goign for almost as much as new products.

also seems to be getting worse.

though part of the reason ebay rpices go for higher could be the buyers are from other countries. where buying it on ebay+shipping is cheaper then buying it there.

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
To be fair, some people can "overpay" for items and have them shipped overseas cheaper than just walking down to their nearest electronics store and buying the same item.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
there is that classic case of the woman who bid and paid ~60 dolla for a 50 dolla walmart gift card...sad.

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
Well, to be fair in this case I think 1 person said the ram worked, everyone else said it was faulty.

I personnally would never bid on anything 'as is' , especially not 50$ when you factor in the shipping...

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
If it were some shady seller, who barely mentioned the quality of the product, then I'd say it's something the buyer has a right to contest.

This guy has very obviously stated as-is, not tested, it was a large lot they got liquidated, buyers should know better. Probably all of that neg feedback will get removed, as he's stated it more than once in his auction listings, not his fault people can't read.

Edit:

After reading the feedback seems that 75% of the sticks he's sending out are bad, he probably knows that too. The people leaving him positive/neutral feedbacks are at least decent about it, the people leaving negs are just stupid. Still, who doesn't have time to randomly test 5-10 out of 500? He would've seen that 7 out of 10 were bad, and mentioned that in the auction. Instead he seems to be making almost $50 a stick for bad memory, doubt he paid even half that for it, if he paid at all.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Yet another example of how the free market has created a tax on stupidity.

elevated

May 27, 2004
that's not even the dumbest thing - look at the gift cards, especially amazon - people pay over what the gift card is actually worth

out of control. even if there's shill bidding involved i'd think people would stop bidding when the high bid reaches ~the card value

goog40

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Sphexi

After reading the feedback seems that 75% of the sticks he's sending out are bad, he probably knows that too. The people leaving him positive/neutral feedbacks are at least decent about it, the people leaving negs are just stupid. Still, who doesn't have time to randomly test 5-10 out of 500? He would've seen that 7 out of 10 were bad, and mentioned that in the auction. Instead he seems to be making almost $50 a stick for bad memory, doubt he paid even half that for it, if he paid at all.

Yeah I think there's no doubt that this guy knows that most of the sticks are probably bad, and he's just hiding behind the "As-is" clause. While his description is accurate, his ethics are questionable.

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
Originally posted by: goog40

Yeah I think there's no doubt that this guy knows that most of the sticks are probably bad, and he's just hiding behind the "As-is" clause. While his description is accurate, his ethics are questionable.

I agree, but people should still be careful. Before I buy anything on ebay I always go through a few pages of recent feedback on a seller. If I see neutrals, or negatives, I look at the auction in question. I've bought stuff from sellers with less than perfect feedback, because the negatives they got were obviously bogus, but I've also passed on stuff from sellers with great feedback, because of positives that included negative comments. I wouldn't personally buy from this guy, even if there was a chance I'd get a working piece of cheap memory.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Right now, there's puzzlement within the Minolta/Sony photographer community about people paying a high premium for Konica-Minolta branded external flashes that are IDENTICAL to the newer Sony-branded flash units (there's some evidence that the Sony ones are slightly better, actually).

You can buy a Sony flash for $310 brand new with a warranty, and people are paying $375 and more for the same flash with Konica-Minolta written on it. No warranty, probably reduced output/power of the used flash, and a higher price. :confused:

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy

its not just ebay. i have seen things in teh FS/FT goign for almost as much as new products.

though part of the reason ebay rpices go for higher could be the buyers are from other countries. where buying it on ebay+shipping is cheaper then buying it there.

And then when you PM them with a lower offer they call you a lowballer...it's ridiculous.

These are used items people!!! Expect to lose money!

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: elevated
that's not even the dumbest thing - look at the gift cards, especially amazon - people pay over what the gift card is actually worth

out of control. even if there's shill bidding involved i'd think people would stop bidding when the high bid reaches ~the card value

money laundering is big bucks

Gigantopithecus

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2004
Probably all of that neg feedback will get removed, as he's stated it more than once in his auction listings, not his fault people can't read.

No, it's not, but that seller is probably going to get a vacation and/or be banned (for however long it takes them to re-register, heh) what with eBay actually starting to enforce it's seller non-performance criteria.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
Meh... I side with the buyers. The lazy seller should've just gone ahead and tested them.

Killerme33

Jan 17, 2006
Why do people leave neutral feedback when the item is broken. One of them says:

"Both faulty, $100 down the drain, but very fast shipping."

So you got a broken product but at least you got it quickly?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Nutdotnet
Originally posted by: waggy

And then when you PM them with a lower offer they call you a lowballer...it's ridiculous.

These are used items people!!! Expect to lose money!

Not always. My PIII-S 1.4 sold for more than I paid for it a few years earily because a web company needed them for spares for it's production webfarm.

Most people don't understand ebay. As-is deals can be great buys. However when you see a company / person selling memory they "can't" test and then have PC's also for sale that use that same memory you know they are lying.

My HP Scanjet 4c I bought new in box for $60 in 2001. It's still going great and would be hard to replace for cheaper than that (legal flat bed scanner).

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Killerme33
Why do people leave neutral feedback when the item is broken. One of them says:

"Both faulty, $100 down the drain, but very fast shipping."

So you got a broken product but at least you got it quickly?

because on an "AS-IS" auction it's not the sellers fault if it doesn't work.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Yup I love selling on ebay for the same reason :)
I bought a camera once for $350, plus $30 for the memory card and $20 for an extra battery.
Sold all the stuff on ebay 4 months later for $475. The woman who bought it paid an extra $40 for overnight shipping too. She was a domestic US buyer too.
I like getting paid to use things. :)

Another story... I bought a pretty nice Sigma 28-70mm F/2.8 EX lens off ebay for $150. I sell it a year later, and it went for $280. The lens costs that much new!