Are Snap-on tools really the best tools?

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
I heard that Snap-on brand tools were the best. They certainly cost like they're the best - like twice or 3x the price of normal tools. Are they actually that much better or do they just have good brand recognition?

I was looking at pictures of their 14.4volt cordless drills and I really can't believe that Snap-on would be any better than Porter Cable or Makita...

rival

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2001
i think snap-on makes the best 'mechanics' tools, ie wrenches/sockets etc...but for a cordless drill, i would go with makita..we use em at work, they take a beating and work well, i think they are 14v

Johnnie

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
May 28, 2000
for the money..Craftsman is the way to go...lifetime warranty...just like Snap-On...MAC..etc.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
My uncle is a Toyota mechanic, & he started out using Craftsman because of the price difference. Eventually he realized he needed to switch to Snap-on. His main reason?

Not necessarily the quality (Craftsman also comes with a lifetime warranty on their hand tools), but apparently there are some applications where the Snap-on tool is the only one that will do the job due to how thin they are compared to other brands.

Other than that, I dunno.

And that doesn't apply to electric tools anyway.

Viper GTS

JC

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
I've not used any of their cordless stuff, but their hand tools and pneumatic tools are certainly the best I've used. I think of the 3x you pay, you pay 2x for the top quality, and 1x more
for the brand-name and the truck that comes to your shop to sell and replace the tools. Gotta pay those tool guys somehow :)

EDIT: Sure, Craftsman comes with a lifetime warranty too...but you'll use it way more than with Snap-on, plus you have to take it to Sears for replacement, the Snap-On guy comes to you.

Oh yes, and I speak from first-hand experience here.

JC

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
brxndxn, I too believe that Snap-On does make the best "mechanic/hand" tools. Craftsman and Husky are great as well, both offering lifetime gurantee's [sp?] . As for power tools, like rival says look elsewhere. Makita it great when it comes to cordless drills, as well as Black & Decker, Porter Cable & even Craftsman. Hope this helps.

technogeeky

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2000
Snap-On tools have a lot of uses that other tools don't quite fit. And their profesional grade tools are widely used for mechanic jobs (cars, especially).

I would go with Craftsman, though. Lifetime warantee. They'll replace stuff they didn't even know existed 30 years after you bought it.

Quite a deal.

-tg

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001

<< Snap-On tools have a lot of uses that other tools don't quite fit. And their profesional grade tools are widely used for mechanic jobs (cars, especially). >>

Exactly, Snap-on makes a lot of specialty tools that Craftsman doesn't. They also have tighter tolerances and are generally known to fit the application better and slip less. But, Craftsman are fine for most non-professional environments.

S*K Tools are also highly regarded, and they're completely made in the United States from forge to finish, unlike Craftsman and Snap-on, who forge most of their tools elsewhere, ship them to the U.S. for finishing (trimming, cutting, bending, polishing, assembly, etc), then call them "Made in the US".

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Snap On, MAC, Cornwell, Matco. All are about the same, as far as hand tools. Way better than Craftsman.

Wrenches, Ratchets, Screwdrivers.....all the above mentioned companies make superior products than Craftsman or anyone else.

In addition to being stronger, thinner, and feeling better, they actually FIT better.

Easy to prove if you can get your hands on one: Just take a 1/2" Craftsman wrench and a 1/2" Snap On, etc. wrench, and put it on a bolt head. You can easily see how much looser the Craftsman wrench is. Same for sockets.

Also, if you're using the open end of the wrench, it's very easy to make the Craftsman wrench spread out, or "give" and round the bolt or nut head. You can also do this with the other brands, but they take much more effort to do so, considering they're stronger, and fit tighter to begin with.
Same thing goes for screwdrivers. Try a Phillips head of both brands and you'll know what I mean.

Bottom line: You don't need Snap On tools unless you're a pro (like me), but they are nice if you can afford them.

BlackOmen

Aug 23, 2001
ViperGTS is definitely right about how thin Snap-on tools are. After replacing the engine mounts on my mom's cavalier two weeks ago, the only breaker bar that would fit was my friends Snap-on; my Craftsman just couldn't make it.

As far as power tools, I'm gonna go with the crowd ans say makita. I love my makita drill and grinder. Mmm, tools....

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Our family owns a cattle ranch in New Mexico where they are constantly reparing tractors, trucks, spinklers, etc etc etc. They use exclusively Craftsman, inlcuding for their power tools and compressors. I asked my uncle why he used them a couple years ago and he said because of the warranty-if they break for any reason, including you breaking it, they will replace it.

I tend to go with craftsman, but I dont have many tools myself.

One time when I was on the ranch during a visit, they were trying to change the tire on one of their balers. Tire probably hadnt been taken off for several years, and was rusted and really tough to work with. They put the wrench on, attached a 4 foot iron pipe over the handle, and jumped on it for leverage. Came off quite easily and the wrench didnt cry a bit, which I think's pretty impressive .

Halogen

Banned
Dec 18, 2001
if Snap-on actually last long then the name is rather misleading :D

i dunno, most tools in my toolbox are mastercrap because they have a warranty. whenever i need to pry something i reach for my mastercrap wrench because they replace it if i break it lol

QTPie

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2001
Snap-on is higher quality than Craftsman. But I'm not a pro, Craftsman is good enough for me. Same quaranty, though

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Exactly, Snap-on makes a lot of specialty tools that Craftsman doesn't. They also have tighter tolerances and are generally known to fit the application better and slip less. But, Craftsman are fine for most non-professional environments.

S*K Tools are also highly regarded, and they're completely made in the United States from forge to finish, unlike Craftsman and Snap-on, who forge most of their tools elsewhere, ship them to the U.S. for finishing (trimming, cutting, bending, polishing, assembly, etc), then call them "Made in the US".

Yes, indeed. You pay for what you get. Snap-on definitely has tighter tolerances. They also manufacture many special-need, custom tools for industrial applications.

If I'm not mistaken, actually Craftsman (Western Forge) is older than Snap-on. And they were the ones who patented (read: stolen) the ratchetting handle.

S*K is very good too. Also an old company. I love their swivel ratchet.

Vagrant

Oct 2, 2000
I am an Aircraft engineer for the Royal New Zealand Airforce. I've just finished putting together a tool set for my team. I went for snapon pliers because they have the best feel in the handles, snapon also got the nod for screwdrivers, best handles again. For spanners and socket sets we went Sidchrome, Snapon's polished finish is nice, but too slippery with oily or sweaty hands.
Airtools by desouter, powertools by Panasonic.

On the Main Hanger toolboard, we have just about 100% Snapon stuff. We have a 1" cranked offset double openender. There is 0.015" difference across the jaws of each end. One end fits everything, the other won't fit on flexible hose fittings.
Its within manufacturing limits according to the Rep.

BearX00

Nov 28, 2000
My father has been a mechanic for 26 years and all his tools at work are snap-on
so for hand tools id go with them
as for a cordless drill.. i would have to put my money in DeWalt, in my opinion they make the best cordless drills out there. ive got one 2 of my roomates have one, my father has one, my brother. the list goes on. they power they give and the long lasting battery life of them is really top notch. i worked on my car one day with my dewalt for 6 hours, that included drilling through metal and unscrewing/screwing in many screws (ive got the 9.6V one). from what ive seen,t here just isnt any topping the dewalt for cordless. and they are very durable.

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
I agree with everyone here who says that Snap-on hand tools are the best ones out there (even if the wrenches get slippery), but whether it's worth it to you or not depends on how much you're going to use them. If you're a professional mechanic, or a serious home mechanic with the money, by all means, get Snap-on. If you're doing the occasional car or home project, or money is tight, it's probably not worth it.

sharkeeper

Lifer
Jan 13, 2001
It's kind of funny how tool brands go by trade. Electricians usually have Klein or Ideal. HVAC people have Malco, Vaco, Diamond. Industrial mechanics (including truck and auto) usually have Snap On, MATCO, MAC, Blackhawk, Easco, Husky, Craftsman and others. Don't forget Starret for the machinists! I like Ingersol Rand for impact wrenches and compressors. (athough Quincy makes a nice screw compressor)

Cheers!

yellowvespa

Oct 9, 2001
Snap-on tools have a nice "feel" to them. Just like anything else, you can buy a lesser brand that will do quite well and get the job done but if you have to work with hand tools all day for a living most pro's will use Snap-on. They are easier to use and things like the handles don't rip your hands up. The fit and finish is superior and because they use a higher quality of metal the tools are trim and fit into tight places better.

Turbopit

Dec 17, 2000
For electric tools I buy nothing but Dewalt. Mainly because that is what my dad, a general contractor only buys. For the average homeowner though, just about anything would probably do, depending on how much you use it.

For mechanics tools, I mainly buy Craftsman, based on cost. Just about anything with a good warranty will do for the home mechanic. I hate Craftsman screw drivers. They are brittle. A replacement warranty doesn't help me at 3 a.m. and I break a tool. :)

No,they are not the best for the professional Automotive Technician. (For me at least)

For one thing,the Snap On wrenches (Box and Open End) are way too thin (Handle Area),when applying a lot of force,they tend to cut into the palm of your hand.
I prefer MAC tools,they are a little easier on the wallet without sacrificing the quality and generally are much more ergonomically friendly to the user. :)

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

<< Makita it great when it comes to cordless drills, as well as Black & Decker, Porter Cable & even Craftsman. >>

Black and Decker? If you will likely use the tool once or twice, get a black and decker (they are cheap!). If you will use the tool a lot, get something good. Craftsman is the bottom end of good when it comes to power tools. Their warranty gives them a boost though. Dewalt (yellow) Makita (blue) Milwaukee (red) and Porter Cable (gray) are all high end stuff that will last FOREVER. Porter Cable is the best, but also the most expensive.

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999
"Snap-on

Set, Honda, Apprentice

This set was developed by our field research department in conjunction with Master Level Technicians from Honda dealerships throughout the United States.
HONAS contains all the tools used by the entry level technician to service and repair Honda vehicles.

$3,710.10

yowsers!!

BTW Roger tx 4 the PM

Ramses

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2000
Ditto Roger on the snap-On wrenches, I like the regular thick in the middle Craftsman's, evern though they make a thin highly polished one also. I've abused and mistreated them on ocasion and have had zero problems with them brakeing or not fitting tightly. Their ratchet's could use a thghter head I think, the action is a little floppy, there's a round headed one that has a smaller movement between clicks, it feels better, but the damn handle is thin and round, same problem as the Snap-On wrenches.
Neither beat a Cornwell ratchet I had awhile back, course someone liked it more than I do.. :)

DeWalt has treated me very well with power tools, did comercial electrical work with them, and we all know how electricians are on company owned power tools... :D

veryape

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2000

<< for the money..Craftsman is the way to go...lifetime warranty...just like Snap-On...MAC..etc. >>

For the money you'd be right, and Craftsman actually has a better warranty/return policy, but for the quality of the way the tools are made Snap-On cannot be beat. They have so many specialty tools that you can get into places that Craftsman tools just cannot get into with their straigh-ass tools. That is why I buy Snap-On, but for the money and if you are the average joe, Craftsman is the way to go, but if you are a mechanic or someone who uses your tools alot, Snap-On definitely has advantages over Craftsman, price just isn't one of them.