are rechargable batteries (AA,AAA) worth it in the long run??

jjyiz28

Platinum Member
Jan 11, 2003
do you end up saving money since you could recharge it several times instead of just buying regular batteries such as AA or AAA???

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
those should be rechargeable for hundreds of times, at least if you don't abuse them by using quick chargers or whatnot

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: jjyiz28
do you end up saving money since you could recharge it several times instead of just buying regular batteries such as AA or AAA???

Don't forget to figure in things like how much your time is worth and how much the electricity you use costs (though probably negligible)

Cheers,
b0 (pronounced b naught)

jjyiz28

Platinum Member
Jan 11, 2003
Originally posted by: dighn
those should be rechargeable for hundreds of times, at least if you don't abuse them by using quick chargers or whatnot

what do you mean by quick chargers?? does the battery have to be totally dead before you should recharge it?? also, if you recharge it, is it best to recharge it fully, instead of just 50% or whatnot??

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001

what do you mean by quick chargers?? does the battery have to be totally dead before you should recharge it?? also, if you recharge it, is it best to recharge it fully, instead of just 50% or whatnot??

Quick chargers charge the batteries in a span of like 20 minutes as opposed to 12-15 hours. They basically "abuse" the battery when doing it though, which hurts both the life of the battery and the length of each charge. I was pretty sure NMiH isn't supposed to have the memory problems that NMiC batteries had, but I might be wrong. My NMiH rechargables last much much longer, per charge, than regular batteries. Definitely worth it, imo.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001

quick charger as in those 15min-1hr chargers. I believe they shorten the life span of the batteries except those specifically designed for such abuse (expensive and rare I think)

most of the rechargebles these days are NiMH, which supposedly have no memory effect so you don't have to discharge and charge completely. but there's always debate on that.

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
Considering I found AA Rayovac 2500 rechargeables in 4 packs being clearanced in bulk at a walmart one day for 2$ a pack - I'd say yea. I bought 10 4 packs. . .still on my first 2 easily :)

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
what do you recommend for a AA charger than that is not a quick charger??

Meh, I'd just go to Sam's or Costco and get a packaged deal, regardless of if the charger is a quick charger or not. With likely 4-8 AAs and 4-8 AAAs packaged plus the charger, it'll still be cheaper and less hassle than going to the store and buying AAs and AAAs all the time.

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Definately worth it.

I'm still using the same 4 I bought for my digital camera 6 years ago.

I have 2 more sets of 4 that I use in remotes, flashlights, etc..

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Definitely. My wireless mouse has them in it just in case I don't have time/forget to put it in the charging dock. Same 4 batteries have lasted me 6 years.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: b0mbrman

Don't forget to figure in things like how much your time is worth and how much the electricity you use costs (though probably negligible)

Cheers,
b0 (pronounced b naught)

How much time does it take to use rechargeable batteries? :confused:

And yeah, the electricity cost is negligible.

OP - they're easily worth it if you use a lot of batteries.

eplebnista

Lifer
Dec 3, 2001

I have been using this one for a long time now and it works great. I charge 2 AAA NIMH batteries(from a pair of Sennheiser wireless headphones) almost daily with it.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Yes, if you use them maybe more than 5x.

Originally posted by: PhoenixOrion

Best AA Charger
Good place to go for batteries. They've got all kinds of deals running too, and there are combo kits there, to get batteries with the charger. Shop around their site though, sometimes the pre-made combo deals aren't always the best. Sometimes.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

yes

wlal clocks
digital cameras
old palm pda's that use AAA batteries. (i've had one since the 20th century :Q )

the only common item i dont use it for is flashlights.

the downside of recharables is that they discharge in about 60 days even if u dont touch them.

very bad if the lights go out and your flashlight has been sitting in the drawer for a year.