Question Are PSU prices coming down?

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
I'm looking at this one from Seasonic:

https://www.newegg.ca/seasonic-focu...omepage_dailydeals-_-p1_17-151-201-_-10242020

It's more than double what I paid for my current 550W PSU (EVGA B3...paid $54 CAD for it new in 2018) which has been great and is so quiet I need to check sometimes to make sure it's still on (ECO mode I suspect). My son wants a new one so I was going to give him this one and get another.

His works just fine, but is loud (hand-me-down 600w OCZ from many moons ago). I also want to be ready if I get impulsive and buy a pricier video card than I actually need when the nonsense dies down.

The one linked was as high as $190 not too long ago, but even $129 seems really high. Are the prices of these creeping down overall to return to the low levels they were, or was 2018 a blip?

I just don't want to pay $129 and then find it for $75 in a few months. I checked the camel site, and it seems the lowest price a fully modular, similar PSU from Seasonic ever got to (SSR 750-FX) was about $90 USD ($120 CAD).

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Power supplies around the end of 2017 were exceptionally cheap because of the mining collapse, and suddenly there was a ton of inventory.

In 2020, prices of PSUs are mostly back to MSRP or a little bit lower. That said, the price will likely continue to fall a bit, but don't expect it to get anywhere like it was in 2017. If you need a PSU, just watch for a good sale from Newegg or Amazon.

You can always look at the pricing history at places like CamelCamelCamel or PCPartPicker to see if the current price is a good deal or not.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Power supplies around the end of 2017 were exceptionally cheap because of the mining collapse, and suddenly there was a ton of inventory.

In 2020, prices of PSUs are mostly back to MSRP or a little bit lower. That said, the price will likely continue to fall a bit, but don't expect it to get anywhere like it was in 2017. If you need a PSU, just watch for a good sale from Newegg or Amazon.

You can always look at the pricing history at places like CamelCamelCamel or PCPartPicker to see if the current price is a good deal or not.

Yah, I figured that was a blip. I don't *need* one, so I can wait to see if there's a better sale. They have dropped consistently for a few months now. Just wondering where the bottom may be. I did check the price history, but 2017 and 2018 show where the best deals are...nowhere close to where they are now. It is listed at $110 USD ($149 CAD), so maybe $129 is a pretty good price.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Yah, I figured that was a blip. I don't *need* one, so I can wait to see if there's a better sale. They have dropped consistently for a few months now. Just wondering where the bottom may be. I did check the price history, but 2017 and 2018 show where the best deals are...nowhere close to where they are now. It is listed at $110 USD ($149 CAD), so maybe $129 is a pretty good price.
It seems like a decent price to me. You might be able to catch it on sale for another $10 - $15 off (usually a mail in rebate for power supplies), but Seasonic PSUs tend run a little higher compared to the competition. You might be able to find a comparable unit from Corsair or Super Flower, and save a few more bucks that way.

The other day when looking at PSUs for another user, I saw that Newegg (U.S. site) had a Super Flower Leadex III 650w for only $99.99, and it is a great unit with a 10 year warranty. However, it doesn't look like Newegg carries it on their Canadian website.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/antec-neoeco-gold-zen-good.2586146/

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
I checked out that Super Flower one, thanks. I can get it on Amazon, but it's like $300. Even at $100 USD that's still $136 CDN. I'd also like a 750w so I never need an upgrade again.

Nov 20, 2009
Last week I went looking for their SnowSilent model in the same power range and rating and couldn't find anyone selling it. But I did find several people on eBay selling used ones for $150-200. That was just crazy.

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
They are coming down in price, but unfortunately won't come back to those "almost free AR" prices.
We need to remember that PSUs were heavily impacted because of trump's trade war with China, so they won't come back to those prices