Are politicians so base as to endorse a candidate just to help themselves?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I was just wondering if politicians would be so dishonest and base to endorse another candidate just to help themselves?
I was wondering if endorsing Barack Obama could possibly be thought to help a Democratic politician gainssupport from African-Americans?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: techs
I was just wondering if politicians would be so dishonest and base to endorse another candidate just to help themselves?
I was wondering if endorsing Barack Obama could possibly be thought to help a Democratic politician gainssupport from African-Americans?

Why would you think otherwise? :confused:

"You scratch my back, I scratch yours."

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Of course they are endorsing candidates to help themselves. Is it dishonest? I don't think so, at this point in the race; it's too close to call and it's a huge gamble for high level politicians to endorse one of only two people likely to win the nomination. If you are referring to Ted Kennedy and other Senators, those guys have a very high re-election rate, especially a guy like like Kennedy from a very white state (Massachusetts). Besides...most African-Americans vote democrat anyway; I doubt democrats really need to pander to that group as you suggest.

I think sombody is bitter Clinton's nomination is slipping away. Perhaps you'd like to like to denounce all the dishonest endorsements Clinton has received; I bet they are just pandering to the female vote :roll:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

What? Like Ted Kennedy needs getting elected in Mass?

Jeebus :roll:

Fern

Dec 10, 2005
I wonder if we would be seeing this thread if those "base politicians" were endorsing Hillary...

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
There's no way Ted Kennedy could get all the black votes in MA without endorsing Obama! And that Caroline Kennedy clearly has her own presidential aspirations...

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Brainonska511
I wonder if we would be seeing this thread if those "base politicians" were endorsing Hillary...

of course.

it's just that someone else would be posting it.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: Brainonska511

of course.

it's just that someone else would be posting it.

no, because it wouldn' even been news and noone would have thought it an issue.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
There are no good people in the world who would do anything for pure and idealistic motives. I know this because its how I am and I see in others what I am. People are shit.