are parking valet attendants being car racist when they keep the nice cars in front?

are parking valet attendants being car racist when they keep the nice cars in front?

• yes! I have a dream that little yellow hondas and mazdas will one day play with white m3's

• no. nice cars deserve better treatment

• depends - restaurants and hotels its ok, hospitals it is not ok

Results are only viewable after voting.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
This even happens at the hospital I work at. It's like we are letting everyone know - if you have a nice car or good insurance, you will get better treatment

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
no, they are pandering for tips. drive an '88 camry, tip the valet $10, and i guarantee the camry gets parked up front.

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I don't want anyone touching my car, and most aren't qualified to move it. It has special operating instructions :^D That is to say, I've never used valet parking, and any place that has it is probably a place I don't want to be.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Yes, of course they are. My Toyota should be parked next to the Lambo not hidden out in back.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
maybe the people with nicer cars tip better (which I seriously doubt) and that's why they give them better placement...

who?

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2012
If the people with the fancier cars see that other affluent people eat or shop there maybe they'll stop and spend.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
no, they are pandering for tips. drive an '88 camry, tip the valet $10, and i guarantee the camry gets parked up front.

Need pics of this....

However, I tip $3-5 for a Valet and my car is usually close.

It's really about the valets want that "GUY" that had the epic car to be the one they can drive.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
It's not car racism. In college I worked valet for 3 years on weekends. The cars in the front are front spots. The front man (guy who doesn't run to get cars, just hands tickets and keys), makes money this way. First it's a way to draw attention to the restaurant or club. You charge extra say $100 or more to keep the car up front if the owner doesn't want it driven. On busy weekends such as new years or other holidays the front guys would make about 500+ bucks in extra cash just from front spots.

If the parking authority comes by and wants you to move it you risk getting a ticket which the boss won't pay for so that's why you charge extra money. Athletes like Ryan Howard and football players would come in and ask me to keep the car close. If they didn't pay what we asked then we would keep it up front for as long as we could, park it and then bring it back up front at the end of the night before they come out.

It's the quickest way for the front guy to make extra bucks because they are responsible for tipping the runners. I loved being a front guy when others were absent. I'd make about $100+ in tips every night from people with nice cars who wanted them parked out front.

It was fun and I got to drive pretty much every car made up until I quit, from beat up Fords that died once you got to the garage to the lamborghini diablo, Ferraris, etc. The best part was when the parking authority would start walking around we would hop in and take the cars out for a spin around the block and then back up front.

Last edited:

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Racism would be making all cars from Japanese companies, etc etc, only in yellow.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Minimizing their risk by keeping a better eye on the most valuable cars?

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
All cars should have the opportunity to be placed in the front row. They need to be respected and nurtured, have supportive statements by their owners/and drivers spoken to them. Strengthening their fragile self esteem is our first and only duty.

In this way we can truly bring about vehicular equality.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
Privilege.jpg

If you wouldn't call it racist, would you call it an example of 'auto privilege?'

Uno

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
When I finally had cars nice enough to Valet in a certain area of the Irvine Spectrum (basically your average suburban outdoor mall with too much Chinese/tech money), I got an eye-opener. The "nice enough" cars had the normal valet experience.

Once I had a flashier vehicle or two, when I would get back into my vehicle, there would be a hand towel and bottle of water sitting in the cup holder.

Money talks, bullshit walks, I guess.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Once I had a flashier vehicle or two, when I would get back into my vehicle, there would be a hand towel and bottle of water sitting in the cup holder.
And a bottle of Jergens in the footwell?

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
When I finally had cars nice enough to Valet in a certain area of the Irvine Spectrum (basically your average suburban outdoor mall with too much Chinese/tech money), I got an eye-opener. The "nice enough" cars had the normal valet experience.

I used to work at ISC as a valet. During busy times the guys up front don't give a shit what kind of car you drive, they just want money. There are 2 schools of thought:

if times are tough, you keep all the nice cars OR cars you think will tip up front.

if times are good, all the cars go to the lot except for cars who tip $10-$20.

I once sent a ferrari to the parking lot cuz the dude thought he was hot shit and I'd leave his car up front just cuz he drove a ferrari. NOPE.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I once sent a ferrari to the parking lot cuz the dude thought he was hot shit and I'd leave his car up front just cuz he drove a ferrari. NOPE.

Right play, my friend. Having nice things is one thing, being smug IRL deserves this kind of humble-pie every now and then. :p