Are Optical Mice good for FPS games?

gregshin

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2000
I'm wondering if the optical mice are good for games such as Counter-Stike? any 411 would be greatly appreciated.

TAsunder

Oct 6, 2000
I use an intellimouse explorer in Q3 and UT... it takes a long time to get used to but I think in the end it's actually helpful. I'm a bit more accurate now than I was with a less sensitive mouse.

aUt0eXebat

Banned
Oct 9, 2000
I also have the same mouse as TAsunder. And it is great for FPS. I use the buttons for Half-life, TFC, CS and all of those games. You need to prgram the buttons to your preferrances(sp right?) though.

Shudder

Platinum Member
May 5, 2000
You'll get some complaints how bad it is from some people, but they're dumb :)

There's 2 major complaints.
1. If you pick up the mouse and put it back down, it jars around and messes up what you had lined up.
2. If you move the mouse around really really fast, it messes up.

Truth: 1. Lift up your mouse? Who the hell is using this thing? I can do a 360 in about 1-2 inches of desk space. Which leads me to say that you don't even need a mouse pad anymore, so you really can't run out of room even if you did have the speed set really low.

2. If you have the speed set right, you have no reason to move the mouse THAT fast. The only time it really does it is if you move it at least about 12 inches back and forth really really really fast. You shouldn't move it that distance #1, and #2 if you moved a normal mouse that fast in a FPS, you'd throw up. Secondly, optical mice don't really need Acceleration because you start out moving as soon as you move your hand, there's no speed build up like in a ball mouse. Turn off accel, jack the speed up, and man it's incredible.

daddyo

Oct 9, 1999
It depends on how you play.

When I play an FPS, my mouse sensitivity is WAY down, and it's the only way I can control the game. It also means I need a rather large mousepad because I end up travelling a lot more distance.

I have an optical mouse, but I have found it impossible to use when I play any FPS. I keep my PS2 mouse there for those times.

gUEv

Oct 11, 2000
i use a logtiech optical mouse, and if you know of my exploits, you can let that speak for itself, buwahaha :p.