Question Are on-board audio and USB audio off the same hardware?

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
My new ASRock z690 Steel Legend doesn't have the on-board audio showing up in device manager. My headphones though works fine with USB. I was wondering if I might have a hardware issue and didn't know a good way to check.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
For me it does show up as an Intel controller in Linux.....

lspci

00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-S HD Audio Controller (rev 11)

I know when I went rooting around for drivers I think I stumbled upon a driver pack from somewhere else besides ASR and the OEM. For Linux though specifically I recall having to apply some update modules to get unnamed items to show accurate descriptions. Should affect the functionality though just your OCD when looking at things. There's still a couple of "unclaimed" options that bug me but not enough to invest more time in figuring them out.

One page is showing "Realtek ALC897" as the audio controller which conflicts with my output above. RTL though sometimes just shows up with a generic driver from Windows.

One of those 3 should get it to show up in DM.

zir_blazer

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2013
One page is showing "Realtek ALC897" as the audio controller which conflicts with my output above. RTL though sometimes just shows up with a generic driver from Windows.
Its perfectly normal. lspci reports the PCI-to-HD Audio Bridge, which is Intel branded (And AMD on AMD platforms). The Realtek audio that is plugged into it is a HDA Codec, NOT a PCI Device, so lspci doesn't index it in any way.
There were other commands to know what was plugged on HDA Bus, but too lazy to search.