Are nerds & geeks getting riped off when it comes to books?

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
Are nerds & geeks getting riped off when it comes to books? :Q

My sister bought a romance novel for $4.99 cdn cover pricec while a sci-fi book which I just bought and was half as thick ........cost me $9.99 cdn :p Both published in the same year (2001)

I think use fantasy/sci-fi readers are getting the shaft :p

Cheers,
Aquaman

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
I know I'm getting ripped off at school!!! $150 bucks for a stupid math book, screw that you greedy ass bastards!!!!! :|

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: dighn
college/university students are the most ripped off when it comes to books

I'll second that. There's no reason for that b.s. either. My school rips us off every chance they get...

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: rbloedow
I know I'm getting ripped off at school!!! $150 bucks for a stupid math book, screw that you greedy ass bastards!!!!! :|

get gray market books. a lot of times the exact same book is sold overseas, even in western europe, for a lot cheaper than in the US or canada. amazon.co.uk probably has it and ships internationally.

hjo3

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
It's probably just the publisher. Besides, romance books are like the cheapest fiction out there... my grandmas buy them by the dozen.

If you don't like the prices, try Amazon's used books... I've gotten a lot of books for less than a dollar.

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
Some school books can justify a high price........... like a course that only has very limited numbers of students.

Cheers,
Aquaman

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Aquaman
Are nerds & geeks getting riped off when it comes to books? :Q

My sister bought a romance novel for $4.99 cdn cover pricec while a sci-fi book which I just bought and was half as thick ........cost me $9.99 cdn :p Both published in the same year (2001)

I think use fantasy/sci-fi readers are getting the shaft :p

Cheers,
Aquaman

have you checked the price of comic books lately? i used to get all the spidermen, xmen and a bunch of others every week. Then the cost went up in price to like $3 a book. my wife (fiance at the time) pointed out iwas spending like $200 a month on them. but thats not why i stopped buying..it was that crappy clone saga pfft.

Swag1138

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2000
Comics are better now, but still, at 2.25 a book, not the cheapest things on earth. Thats why I wait for trade paperbacks.

but yeah, geeks get ripped off. Have you looked at any non-fiction geek books? Insane prices.

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
But the quality of the comic books now as compared to the 70' & 80' is a lot better.

Cheers,
Aquaman

matt426malm

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3
Originally posted by: dighn
college/university students are the most ripped off when it comes to books

I'll second that. There's no reason for that b.s. either. My school rips us off every chance they get...

37 bucks for this collection of bout 40 pages of selections from books and articles they xeroxed off, man that ticked me off.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Aquaman
But the quality of the comic books now as compared to the 70' & 80' is a lot better.

Cheers,
Aquaman

true the artwork is way better.

But comeon did you read the spiderman clone saga? or onlsaught sega? pfft