Are jeans considered Business Casual?

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
I am sure it has been spoken of before, but this is my first time asking :). I seem to have a few job options available and most require Business Casual. Current job has no real requirements to what we wear. Thanks all!

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Originally posted by: SpunkyJones
Jeans are not business casual. Time to get some khakis! :)

I have dreaded the day I wore khakis like my dad....my old co-worker had a mohawk for crying out loud! That is how much attire was not a big deal around here.

Guess it is time to grow up and be a khaki man.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Raduque
Business Casual ftl. Stupid dress codes.

Ditto. I've never understood dress codes in offices where you never physically interact with clients.

The only argument FOR them in that situation that ever made any sense was that they encourage a professional atmosphere. To me, it's the people that make it professional, not their clothes.

edit: I'm at work, in jeans and a teeshirt. About one in ten people I work with dress like they're on their way to a punk rock show.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Originally posted by: rivan
Originally posted by: Raduque
Business Casual ftl. Stupid dress codes.

Ditto. I've never understood dress codes in offices where you never physically interact with clients.

The only argument FOR them in that situation that ever made any sense was that they encourage a professional atmosphere. To me, it's the people that make it professional, not their clothes.

only if 'higher ups' thought this!

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
At my old job, which was business casual, there were more people with outrageous hair styles and colors then there are at my current job which only prohibits open-toed shoes and really baggy clothes around the machines which have moving parts. Of course the clean room has a special dress code.

Hell at my last job, one guy I was in training with had a spikey purple mohawk and 2" guages in his ears with more spikes. And while I get written up for wearing a plain solid color t-shirt, he gets promoted.

Edit: Last job was a call center. Only customer interaction was verbal! Couldn't even see in the windows!

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Doesn't have to be khakis. I have black slacks/trousers/whatever. The constant sea of khaki & plaid in IT sickens me.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Doesn't have to be khakis. I have black slacks/trousers/whatever. The constant sea of khaki & plaid in IT sickens me.

I will be going black too, or dark blue. It will be for the IT world too. Guess I can go ahead and get a mohawk....haha

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
doesn't have to be khaki

but jeans... not unless it's dress-down day

but check this out... i am wearing some khaki coloured demin pants that look like khakis... but they're JEANS

they're JEANS

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
just ask, it can be in different in different offices. but to be safe i would say no, jeans are not business casual.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Originally posted by: moshquerade
just ask, it can be in different in different offices. but to be safe i would say no, jeans are not business casual.
lol the first time i read that as "orifices"... hehe

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
IMO, jeans are regular casual. Business casual would be khakis/slacks.

Totally casual work environments FTW! I'm sitting here in jeans and a long sleeve t-shirt, rocking out to Hard Sun by Eddie Vedder ("Into the Wild" soundtrack). I have no fears about my tattoos being visible.
/gloat

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
I will be going black too, or dark blue. It will be for the IT world too. Guess I can go ahead and get a mohawk....haha

I prefer wearing black khakis :p.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Gooberlx2
IMO, jeans are regular casual. Business casual would be khakis/slacks.

Totally casual work environments FTW! I'm sitting here in jeans and a long sleeve t-shirt, rocking out to Hard Sun by Eddie Vedder ("Into the Wild" soundtrack). I have no fears about my tattoos being visible.
/gloat

same thing here, cept different song