Are Intel getting Worried? - 9900KS

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
I already showed (# 79 above) that on this system I can run 5GHZ all cores on the 9900K at ~ 168w.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Responsible? I smell confusion. You should be talking "overbinning," which is my whole point - clocking chips to within 100MHz of their lives!

No, you weren't. You're accusing AMD of setting the tone for the entire industry, which they aren't. If you would actually listen to what anyone else in the thread is saying, you wouldn't be continuing this line of inquiry. I'm not confused about anything.

I already showed (# 79 above) that on this system I can run 5GHZ all cores on the 9900K at ~ 168w.

How many people can do that? AT did worse:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13400/intel-9th-gen-core-i9-9900k-i7-9700k-i5-9600k-review/22

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
It's going to depend heavily on load. I don't think what load was used in post #79. Anandtech mentioned a much lower v-core on their 5 GHz overclock while reporting 192 W which makes me think the earlier post was a much lighter load, even if it spanned decently across all threads.

Agreed. My 8700K power consumption is heavily dependent on the load. Running something that stresses CPU/FPU/Cache all to the max simultaneously with a full AVX load is going to eat more power than a CPU-only benchmark with no AVX code.

The Asus motherboard in question is also listed in the "expect to use an AVX offset for 5GHz with 9900K" category on the VRM tier list on OCN:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/27657582-post2156.html#/topics/1638955?page=216&gid=1&pid=1

I use no offset on my 8700K and on some loads can get close to the #s reported... and that's with a 6c/12t chip, delidded.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
And I know a guy who basically never brushes his teeth and yet he has bright white and nice teeth. You should both bless your lucky stars and shouldn't think that it applies to everyone else - or rather anyone else.

Reactions: epsilon84

RaV666

Jan 26, 2004
The thing with 9900KS part isnt really about being realistically better or having better pricing.
Its about perception.
This thing is on newer stepping that has some hardware fixes for exploits.
And as it will run at 5ghz flat. Its gonna occupy the top of the gaming charts.
So intel will claim best gaming performance, and this kind of thing trickles down in peoples mind to other parts , its the kind of thinking "oh, intels are best for gaming as this 9900KS proves, so im gonna buy this 9600..."
People are gonna project its performance on all the lineup.Its stupid.But thats how people mostly work.Thats the reason nvidia can pull the prices its pulling on 1650 for example.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
It's going to depend heavily on load. I don't think what load was used in post #79. Anandtech mentioned a much lower v-core on their 5 GHz overclock while reporting 192 W which makes me think the earlier post was a much lighter load, even if it spanned decently across all threads.

That's likely a factor. If i get around to it I will run Blender 1.0B2.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
All of these games have a feature that records your input and allows you to render them the same way you would render any 3d scene...all except for GTA V that only shows 11% improvement.

Are you really suggesting AMD is not being deceptive, but outright cheating with those numbers?? That would turn out to be a PR disaster if not outright illegal.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
How low is low enough?
They'll be eating close to 180w for 8c at 5GHz even with the most efficient CPUs. That'll be twice what AMD will be matching it with the 3800X.
Sure they will.
Well, 180 is still better than 240.
The key thing I took away from the announcement was this: "Q4".
Yup they will have the "stocking buster" ready for holidays because that's when people spend the most money on this stuff.
You have it all wrong, and if you think it is right do you think it is any kind of sustainable business model?
Do I think what is any kind of sustainable business model?
Adding 50% more cores each gen to try to compete against a couple of generations old nm and arch?
No, I definitively do not think that this is sustainable.
Are you really suggesting AMD is not being deceptive, but outright cheating with those numbers?? That would turn out to be a PR disaster if not outright illegal.
It's neither deceptive nor cheating because they simply do not state what exactly they measured there was zero words or video or even picture,just an icon of the game and a percentage, we have no idea what they benchmarked.

OTG

Aug 12, 2016
It's neither deceptive nor cheating because they simply do not state what exactly they measured there was zero words or video or even picture,just an icon of the game and a percentage, we have no idea what they benchmarked.

It would be precisely the dictionary definition!
Deceptive - giving an appearance or impression different from the true one; misleading.

A claim like "34% faster in CS:GO", with no other details, would be assumed by any reasonable person to mean an increase in gameplay performance. That's what is measured in benchmarks (ideally), gameplay reviews like HardOCP, and really just about any time people discuss gaming performance, including product launches in every category.
It's not impossible that AMD is trying to pull a fast one here, or maybe they just decided that replay performance is what people really care about.
It just doesn't seem very likely, when they would be outed IMMEDIATELY after the embargo lifts, and lose any scrap of goodwill and credibility they've built up since Ryzen launched.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
It would be precisely the dictionary definition!
Deceptive - giving an appearance or impression different from the true one; misleading.

A claim like "34% faster in CS:GO", with no other details, would be assumed by any reasonable person to mean an increase in gameplay performance. That's what is measured in benchmarks (ideally), gameplay reviews like HardOCP, and really just about any time people discuss gaming performance, including product launches in every category.
Lol the last (quite a) few years all we get is canned benchmarks,any time you saw a CS:GO bench with more then 300FPS it's from a pre recorded game.
Especially HardOCP still uses the lost planet canned bench that just throws tons of objects on the screen and has nothing to do with how the game,or any game, runs.

OTG

Aug 12, 2016
Lol the last (quite a) few years all we get is canned benchmarks,any time you saw a CS:GO bench with more then 300FPS it's from a pre recorded game.
Especially HardOCP still uses the lost planet canned bench that just throws tons of objects on the screen and has nothing to do with how the game,or any game, runs.

A canned benchmark is a known, standardized test, that's generally a pretty good indicator of how a game will perform.
OF COURSE there are exceptions, but because we have a pretty good idea what the CS:GO, or Tomb Raider, or GTA benchmarks show, we have an idea what performance should be like outside the benchmarks.
I'm sure it's what AMD used for comparison, because doing otherwise would be stupid.

JTaylor2005

Nov 27, 2018

epsilon84

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2010
I have just seen this. Cracked me up a bit. What gaming person is going out and spending £500 on just the CPU!! It's not about "The perfect gaming CPU" it's about usability and cost effectiveness. Which Intel has been useless at for a while.

Oh you'll be surprised. My friend has a 9900K / 2080 Ti setup and when you have that kind of money, who am I to argue?

I suggested a 8700K, he wanted a 9900K because it was 'the best'. *shrugs*

But on the KS chip it's totally a desperation move to keep the 'gaming crown'

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
What are the chances of the upcoming 9900ks not running hotter than the 9900k at their stock speeds? Won't the cooling requirements be even higher than the current 9900k requires to avoid thermal throttling?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
when math defeats your math-based business because marketing told you to do a thing.

Marketing is all they've got left . . . for now.

What are the chances of the upcoming 9900ks not running hotter than the 9900k at their stock speeds? Won't the cooling requirements be even higher than the current 9900k requires to avoid thermal throttling?

Depends on how you define "stock". If all Intel is doing is jacking up PL1 to 180-210W and setting all-core turbo to 5 GHz, then as long as you operate in that mode, yes, you'll need better cooling. Launch 9900ks have a PL1 of around 160W and draw that much when not restrained by thermals/VRMs.

TheGiant

Jun 12, 2017
unless you are high FPS gamer, it is pointless to buy anything from Intel now
if Intel makes the voltage required for 5GHz lower, it will run colder than current all core 4,.7GHz 9900K

Last edited:
Reactions: epsilon84

epsilon84

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2010

Simple physics says no, all things being equal. However, it's likely that the KS model will be a heavily binned chip, let's say only 1 in 10 'regular' 9900K chips can do 5.0GHz at 'stock volts' then those are the chips that will likely end up being 9900KS chips.

I'm assuming Intel will slap a $50 premium on it at least so it really seems like a pointless chip to me unless its priced appropriately. With current market prices, that would mean $400 tops, but it'll probably end up being $500+, knowing Intel.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Well the street price of the 9900K is still around $484, so I figure it will be more than that. Doesn't have to be much however. they need to ensure that they sell most of the stock before Comet Lake launches.