Are gamers the master race?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bullbert

May 24, 2004
Originally posted by: nuMERICA
I remember in early teens me, mother, and step-father used to play Civilization: Call To Power when it came out in Hotseat. That game almost broke apart our family... They actually almost got a divorce!

It starts out of course always - "Why don't you want to trade with me?", "Why did you build that wonder before I did, knowing that I was doing it?", and escalated to "You're a heartless, selfish bastard, I don't know why I married you".

Same thing happened with Monopoly. My mother is a little nuts.. :D

It is hereditary. ;)

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: HamburgerBoy
No, there are far too many Asian gamers bringing down the percentage of Aryan ones.

burn the heretic!

Eric62

Apr 17, 2008
Originally posted by: Eeezee
Originally posted by: Eric62
Originally posted by: mooncancook
I am a gamer and...
1. married - checked
2. play online - checked
3. fun way to interact (Wii) - checked
4. up to date on tech - checked
5. household income - checked
6. play sports, go out with friends - checked
7. buy new tech gadgets - checked
8. pay premium for new tech - checked

... I guess it must be true!

What sport?
Can't imagine too many adults actually playing a real sport.

Define real sport - I'm an adult, and I play basketball and racquetball with my friends. And I'm a gamer. More rarely we'll play football or water polo

Why is it hard to imagine an adult playing sports? It's on TV all the time, the Olympics, etc.

What you see on TV represents less than 1 in 10000 adults - lol.
I call what you describe activities. I define sport as a formal competition involving winners, losers, officiating, ect... Semi-pro football is a sport, touch football is not. Powerlifting is a sport, lifting weights in the gym is not - IMO.
Point: Very few adults compete in sports. The training is to time consuming (and physically risky) for most with adult responsibilities, especially if you can't make your living from the sport.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
I am a gamer and...
1. married - checked
2. play online - checked

What sport?

Define real sport - I'm an adult, and I play basketball and racquetball with my friends. And I'm a gamer. More rarely we'll play football or water polo

Why is it hard to imagine an adult playing sports? It's on TV all the time, the Olympics, etc.

I call what you describe activities. I define sport as a formal competition involving winners, losers, officiating, ect... Semi-pro football is a sport, touch football is not. Powerlifting is a sport, lifting weights in the gym is not - IMO.
Point: Very few adults compete in sports. The training is to time consuming (and physically risky) for most with adult responsibilities, especially if you can't make your living from the sport.

what?! I play Wii Sports so it doesn't count? j/k. I just play some casual street basketball. In the article it says "PLAY" sports, not "COMPETE", and I don't think the author means sports in any professional sense cause that's a very tiny fraction of the population and probably not relevant to the context.

Eric62

Apr 17, 2008
I am a gamer and...
1. married - checked
2. play online - checked

What sport?

what?! I play Wii Sports so it doesn't count? j/k. I just play some casual street basketball. In the article it says "PLAY" sports, not "COMPETE", and I don't think the author means sports in any professional sense cause that's a very tiny fraction of the population and probably not relevant to the context.

Then you have an unusually balanced and healthy life. Something for most to strive for :)

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
I am a gamer and...
1. married - checked
2. play online - checked

What sport?

Your definition is really professional, competitive sports. The reason the adjectives are appended is because there are many types of sports, and you don't need to 'train' to just play sports.

Playing sports = picking up a basketball and shooting a game of hoops with your friends. That's good enough. You don't need to be focused on winning, you can just be having fun. You don't need to be an athlete to play sports.