Are E-Machines a good value??? Please help//

Maxfly

Jan 25, 2000
Is this a good value??
E-MACHINE
Powered by the Intel® Celeron? 500MHz(w/128KB L2 Cache) the etower 500ix packs a punch. It comes standard with a built-in 40x Max. CD-ROM, 10 GB hard drive, 64MB main memory, and an internal 56K Fax/Modem. The etower 500ix is Internet ready and comes loaded with Microsoft Windows® 98 Second Edition, Works 2000, and Money 2000 application software.

Total $528.00 @ buy.com

Windogg

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
ewwwMachines are junk. Probably a mated to a lowend video adapter w/ crappy sound card. Monitor is extra right? eMachine has a very poor tech support that costs a bunch. Cheap, yes. Good value, no.

windogg

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
Only eMachine I have seen had a soldered-on Celeron CPU. Couldn't upgrade it. It was AT form factor, and proprietary as hell. After seeing it, I can conclude:

eMachines is suck!

AMDJunkie

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 1999
Build it yourself or have a tech build it for you, just don't get a (obsolet)eMachine.

kamiam

Banned
Dec 12, 1999
I was working on an emachine that had a dead power supply...was so propriatory you couldnt use a generic($30)power supply...called up tech support to buy a new p.s.... sorry we dont sell the p.s they said but we will sell you a new tower w/a p.s. for $200... I told them that I guess I was right in telling my customer that emachines are junk then!:p

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
my emachine's pretty decent for what it does (anything but recent games).

kamiam, what do you mean the power supply is proprietary? on mine, the motherboard is atx, so i assume that a regular atx power supply will do?

Stosh

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
From a technical perspective, they are complete junk. They use the cheapest crappiest parts they can think of.

For end users, like my mom who was not about to spend $1000+ for a computer. All she does is surf the web and type letters. They're fine. (She's 75 years old) She will NEVER upgrade!

My brother bought one too. (Man, did I ever try to talk him out of it) The first one would not log on to the net. The second one would not boot. Third times the charm. He stood next to the technician, made him boot it, and made him log on to the net.

His attitude was the same, Duh! I don't want to pay $1200 for a computer. All I want to do is surf the net. If you want to do a bit more than that, then buy a real computer... better yet, have one custom built, or as many of us here have done, build it yourself.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Is any OEM machine a good value? NO

Not when you know how to build your own. If you do not know how to build your own, but want the best value for your money, then learn how.

DABANSHEE

Banned
Dec 8, 1999
If you're after just a cheap sytem for browsing the web, checking your e-mail, writing the odd letter & doing your tax with, then there's nothing wrong with a E-Machine. Epecially as the've bundle MS Works 'n Money with its W98/IE5/Outlook Express operating System.

However if you plan to do anything that pushs the System a little, such as something graphics intensive &/or games related, you'll be pretty limited. As the system will definitly have embedded (on board) graphics, & Sound, & most probaby a embedded winmodem & ethernet controller, plus at the most (if your lucky) 2 expansion slots (some don't have any). All of which Which will tax your CPU cycles & system memory, & make your system virtually unupgradable (or is it nonupgradable, do such words exist?:)). As someone suggested it might even have a propietry powersupply (even though it probably has a standard ATX plug, many of them come in non standard mini sizes, smaller than even 1/2 a normal ATX powersupply) which probably outputs no more than 145w.

If you don't feel up to knocking together a system yourself. For that price (Between US$500 & US$550), you should be able to get your local 'mom & pop' computer shop* to knock together a system, complete with standard OEM (upgradable) parts of your own choosing. I'd suggest s Intel i815 based motherboard (pending avaliability), cause even though it has embedded Graphics & sound (plus the spec 2 version has embedded modem & ethernet too), it still has an AGP slot & (except for the MicroATX version which has less than 4 PCI cards) arround 4 to 6 PCI slots. So there's plenty of room for upgrading in the future as needed & as finances permit. Also it supports PC133 SDRAM natively (unlike the i820/840 boards which need a system taxing translator). As there's no need to immediatly buy any cards (graphics, sound, modem, ethernet), you could even get them to install a DVD-ROM drive & still be within budget (probaby not the latest fastest ones though).

However its importent to make the right choice in the beginning as far as cases & monitors are concerned. Because if you do get those right at the beginning, the odds are you'll never need to upgrade them in the future. I suggest getting an Enlight 7237 case as it has a slide out mainboard & expansion slot tay, drive rails, four 5.25" drive bays & (the later ones) have good cooling pontential.

Now why does one need four 5inch drive bays? Well as you upgrade over time you can have a DVD Dive at the top, a CD burner underneath, & in the lower 2 drive bays you can have a pair of slide-out removable HDD caddies (the cheap plastic ones can be had for less than $15 each, or you could even get aluminium hardware hot swap caddies - there's a bit of cicutry at the back with a couple of chips in the wiring between the slide in Hard drive plug & the plug at the back that the IDE cable plugs into, plus you get a driver floppy - that have built in fans - & thats plural - that are graranteed to support 10000rev drives) for your 2 hard drives - As you upgrade, you'll probably want to buy a newer, faster, higher capacity hardrive. well if thats the case, you'll put your windows system on your new hard drive & use your old hard drive for storage (ie for you data & downloads, plus backups of your 'windows\application data' file & your 'windows\favorites' file)

If you can fit a descent graphics card in your budget. One of those new GeForce2MX cards, which can be had for I think $115 (I saw a link at http://www.hardocp.com). These new OEM budget version of the GeForce 2 perform virtually as good a a GeForce 'classic' SDR, for a hell of a lot less money.

Now I'm no expert on monitors, so maybe someone else can suggest one. However many of those lower spec E-Machines (hows that for a but of repeditive tortology:)) don't even come with a monitor, so maybe you already have one.

* Are there any 'mom 'n pop' shops left in the US? When I was last there virtually all the sops appeared to be franchises or chain stores - maybe that's a slight generalisation, but you know what I mean:). BTW (well from my experiance in Oz) the local little computer stores are often very competitive price wise (especially when you consider how uncompetitive Australian E-trader prices are like, they are just as expensive as the chain stores are in Oz). Plus its always good to support local small businesses.

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
For the price, emachines are not that bad. It's basically a "disposable" computer... don't expect upgradabiltiy. Any decent home built computer will cost more than an emachine.

The only consistent problem I've seen with them is the power supply I've replaced three in different systems in for service so far. PC Power & Cooling makes a decent replacement.

hubbs

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2000
You can compare a eMachine to a Packard Bell. You have the whole story right there:)

The only thing you can upgrade is basically the RAM and the HD. You could just as well get a laptop. Basically the same in the upgrading areas.

Stifko

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
yeah but, buy.com has been having a 366 cyrix processor emachine for only 299 for a while. for that price, ya can't really go wrong, right?
Just for surfing and text/number editing, it'll do, plus its mad cheap!

biohazard2

Banned
May 1, 2000
AHHH you put two bad words together!!! Cyrix and Emachine. My neighbor bought one of those things, or should I say 3 of them. Power suply died, onboard video died (can't add a card), this one the modem toasted, but was repairable.

You would honestly pay $299 for a headache? I would pass on that.

BTW you get the following in that system:
cyrix PR366 (300mhz)
32mb ram
integrated board that takes 8mb ram for video
has builtin sound 1 (yes 1) shared pci/isa slot
which is used by the crappy winmodem
4.3gb drive
no monitor
speakers that are nothing more than headphones
a POS keyboard and mouse
win98 (not se) and works2000
125w powersuply
the smallest and hardest to workwith, cheeseball case you could possibly imagine

kinda reminds me of Packard Bell (no throwing rocks just cuz I said that bad word too).