Are Democrats getting too cocky?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: nobodyknows
Originally posted by: Sheik Yerbouti
I am not cocky at all, the last time I was cocky was dumbya v kerry, and this country elected that smacktard for a second term. I will not rest easy, nor will I doubt any other Obama voter, until he takes the oath of office. I've seen too much go too wrong with our voting system over the past 2 presidential elections. 2000 pretty much destroyed all trust I had in the voting process.

I think McCain is toast, but on the other hand I think the Dems just might lose control of the Senate. If they do then Techs question will be answered for him. ;)

Hmm. Interesting since a lot of talk is whether the Dems could get to 60 seats, you are raising the possibility of them losing seats?
Despite my warnings about being too cocky, that's something I find extremely unlikely. Even if the Dems lose every close race, the have states like Virginia where the Democrat has 28 point lead in the polls to take a Republican seat and New Mexico where the Dems have 15 point lead to take a Republican seat.
So even if the Republicans win ALL the close races they are only retaining the seats they already have. And the Dems will pick up 2. So even if Lieberman switches parties they still have a majority.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Don't forget, nothing can stand before the will of God and a mighty wave is coming.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
The Democrats are already starting to plan what they will do next year. Pelosi is even looking at calling congress back so they can get started post election.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
The Democrats are already starting to plan what they will do next year. Pelosi is even looking at calling congress back so they can get started post election.

I can't wait - hope she comes through with her 2nd stimulus package idea. More "free" gov't money! Democratic Christmas could be early this year!

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
What swing states has McCain lost?

None since the election hasn't happened yet. Which ones is he likely to lose?

Here's a list of states Bush won in 04 that Obama now leads in and by how much:

Florida +4
Ohio +3
Colorado +6
New Mexico +7
Missouri +6
Virginia +3
West Virginia +8
Iowa +13
Nevada +3
North Dakota +2

Obama up in early/absentee voting in NM/OH/GA/IA/NC by 5-35%.
http://www.fivethirtyeight.com...g-early-voters-in.html

Since 1936 only one candidate has ever come back to win after being down as much as McCain is with less than 3 weeks to go: Mr. Ronald Reagan. And the country didn't really have serious dislike for republicans that year the way they do now.

kef7

Diamond Member
May 11, 2001

I think McCain is toast, but on the other hand I think the Dems just might lose control of the Senate. If they do then Techs question will be answered for him. ;)

I agree with the first part but I don't think the Dems will lose the Senate this year. However, I'll predict they lose the House bigtime in 2010. I think the 2010 mid-term election will be very similar to the 1994 election.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: jonks
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
What swing states has McCain lost?

None since the election hasn't happened yet. Which ones is he likely to lose?

Here's a list of states Bush won in 04 that Obama now leads in and by how much:

Florida +4
Ohio +3
Colorado +6
New Mexico +7
Missouri +6
Virginia +3
West Virginia +8
Iowa +13
Nevada +3
North Dakota +2

Obama up in early/absentee voting in NM/OH/GA/IA/NC by 5-35%.
http://www.fivethirtyeight.com...g-early-voters-in.html

Since 1936 only one candidate has ever come back to win after being down as much as McCain is with less than 3 weeks to go: Mr. Ronald Reagan. And the country didn't really have serious dislike for republicans that year the way they do now.
McCain/Palin are no Reagan/Real Bush

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: AnnonUSA
Please explain something specific about Obama's plans for America that would make you "rest easy".

Something more substantial than, he is not McCain.

Given it's Obama or McCain that's all that's necessary.

MagicConch

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2005
I think there is a signficant chance Obama could lose because of the Bradley effect. If that does give the presidency to McCain, it really will be a success for no one though imo.

AnnonUSA

Nov 18, 2007
Not one answer other than he is not McCain. From either side.

Think long and hard about what you are doing if you cannot answer the question. What makes the Guy you are going to vote for "better" than any one else? If you cannot give a definitive answer to that question, why would you vote for that person?

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005

That would be ideal but I dont see it happening. Short of bowing to Allah while taking a dump on the flag, Obama's got this one wrapped up. Just watch Pelosi's congress rubber stamp every ridiculous spending proposal that comes through.

SigArms08

Apr 16, 2008
Originally posted by: Mursilis
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

I can't wait - hope she comes through with her 2nd stimulus package idea. More "free" gov't money! Democratic Christmas could be early this year!

lol, the first one really helped take our economy to new and sustainable heights.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

Think long and hard about what you are doing if you cannot answer the question. What makes the Guy you are going to vote for "better" than any one else? If you cannot give a definitive answer to that question, why would you vote for that person?

How about he graduated with honors from Harvard Law School? I'd rather have an intelligent president rather than an idiot. We already had 8 years of idiot.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Democrats/Libs in this forum have always been pretentious a holes, why stop now.

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: bozack
Democrats/Libs in this forum have always been pretentious a holes, why stop now.

As opposed to unrepentent and illiterate "a holes"? ;)

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
It appears that critical thought is a foreign concept.

Blind loyalty is indeed much easier.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

why not? Take your pick...

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
And the Republicans have always been petty mean spirited a holes. Hmmm McCain is the perfect representative for them ;)