Are CD-KEYS stored on the CD

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
sorry nope.
Usually only on the sleeve for the cd or manual .

The cd are bulk printed making it impractical to put individual keys on each cd.
And the cd itself are pressed off a single master , so no way to put it in the data on the cd.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
I have an excel doc that I email myself with all the cd keys of the games and software I buy so if I lose anything I still have the codes.

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: manimal
I have an excel doc that I email myself with all the cd keys of the games and software I buy so if I lose anything I still have the codes.

Can you forward that to me??

lol

:D

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I remember after I lost my HL:GOTY edition CD I dug through the windows registry and found the code, then used it to install the games from steam. Of course, I later found the CD in a box in my closet defeating the purpose, but you may be able to find the key if you still have it installed on a machine.

Unkno

Golden Member
Jun 16, 2005
As said, sometimes the cd keys are stored in the regestry...however, they may be encrypted. Depending on what program/game you're trying to get the cd key for, you may find a program that directly tells you what cd key is used.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: manimal

thats actually a pretty good idea