Are bananas poisonous?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hammerhead

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2001
No, that's just what the biology student's girlfriend told him. That's her excuse for not eating the banana.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
It's true. And if you burp and fart at the same time you'll blow out your instestines - happened to my friend's sister's boyfriend's dad's friend's coworker's kid. You got the cooties btw, triple stamps no backsies!!!

Lol, where do you people come up with these things, and why do you post them? :(

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I once read that they are if they get lodged in your veins, but it takes a lot of pressure to get them to break the skin.

JMWarren

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Eeezee
I don't know, but they are definitely radioactive. I believe the isotope is K-40. Don't worry though, I think the source in your average banana is like 1 nC, or maybe just a little more than that, which is essentially harmless.

I'm not joking, there are actually a lot of food products with detectable amounts of radioactive isiotopes in them. Eating a bunch of bananas won't hurt you, you're well below the average yearly radiation dosage unless you fly a lot or experience prolonged exposure.

QFT

My GF's Dad works in a Nuclear Plant and has to have a radiation scan monthly to make sure he didn't pick anything up. If he eats too many Banana's he'll test positive...

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Eeezee
I don't know, but they are definitely radioactive. I believe the isotope is K-40. Don't worry though, I think the source in your average banana is like 1 nC, or maybe just a little more than that, which is essentially harmless.

I'm not joking, there are actually a lot of food products with detectable amounts of radioactive isiotopes in them. Eating a bunch of bananas won't hurt you, you're well below the average yearly radiation dosage unless you fly a lot or experience prolonged exposure.

Bananas are radioactive. You have to eat something like 500 bananas in a day to actualyl get messed up by that radiation.

We did some calculations in our chem class before

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Bananas are fine. Apples are deadly and counteracted by the skin they have. Strawberries are also deadly, but the pips on the outside save you.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
poisonous no, but for me if i eat a banana im guranteed a a sh*t will be heading for the exit in 20 min. best laxative in the world for me.

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Hammerhead
No, that's just what the biology student's girlfriend told him. That's her excuse for not eating the banana.

not eating the banana huh...i think she was talking about sex with her boyfreind..boy dont you feel stupid now....

Away

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
The poison is in the Chiquita sticker and it soaks into the banana...everyone knows that...geez.

Alone

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2006
Supposedly those white strings from the banana peel can be dried and smoked. I say this without and proof or anything to back it up. Just something I heard.