Are any of the HDTV's at Wal-Mart any good?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
There are 4:3 HDTVs but, what's the point? You'll have letterboxed displays on all network 16:9 programming.

Widescreen HDTVs are 16:9 and that Panasonic is certainly widescreen.

I doubt WalMart will be very accommodating if it's not already setup as a demo TV.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: AMDman12GHz
Originally posted by: conjur
Originally posted by: jumpr
If it's an HDTV it'll have component inputs. How many though, is an important feature. :)

Well the reason I ask is the model # from Wal-Marts site is PT-47WXC43. However that is not a valid # on panasonics site. They have the PT-47WX49S & PT-47WX53. Can somone find me a Link to specs on the PT-47WXC43, Thanks.

Thanks,
Josh

Could be just a difference between their model #s destined for discount stores vs. higher-end A/V stores.

Ohh, so like one of them things where walmart has it and sells it for 1000, but best buy has the same thing for 1500 with just 2 numbers changed ;).....

BTW, a widescreen TV has a 16:9 ratio right? well on panasonics site there is a widescreen tv that does not have a 16:9 ratio, what does this mean?

If I go to walmart and tell them I want to watch a regular dvd on the TV, should they be able to do this before I buy it? Or possible play a video game, I know they have an Open PS2 at my local walmart.

Thanks,
Josh

Dont expect it.

Quick question for you: If that TV breaks, or if you need some help setting it up, will you ask Jon Boy from the toilette paper department to help you set it up?

I sell electronics and it makes me very mad that people would actually buy such an expensive item from a place that most people debate on whether or not its safe to buy underwear there.

Go to a local retailer and tell them what price range you are working with. They will find you a TV to suit your needs.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: rudeguy

Dont expect it.

Quick question for you: If that TV breaks, or if you need some help setting it up, will you ask Jon Boy from the toilette paper department to help you set it up?

I sell electronics and it makes me very mad that people would actually buy such an expensive item from a place that most people debate on whether or not its safe to buy underwear there.

Go to a local retailer and tell them what price range you are working with. They will find you a TV to suit your needs.

Bet you push Sony every chance you get, too!

:p

:D

jcovercash

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
If it's an HDTV it'll have component inputs. How many though, is an important feature. :)

Well the reason I ask is the model # from Wal-Marts site is PT-47WXC43. However that is not a valid # on panasonics site. They have the PT-47WX49S & PT-47WX53. Can somone find me a Link to specs on the PT-47WXC43, Thanks.

Thanks,
Josh

Could be just a difference between their model #s destined for discount stores vs. higher-end A/V stores.

Ohh, so like one of them things where walmart has it and sells it for 1000, but best buy has the same thing for 1500 with just 2 numbers changed ;).....

BTW, a widescreen TV has a 16:9 ratio right? well on panasonics site there is a widescreen tv that does not have a 16:9 ratio, what does this mean?

If I go to walmart and tell them I want to watch a regular dvd on the TV, should they be able to do this before I buy it? Or possible play a video game, I know they have an Open PS2 at my local walmart.

Thanks,
Josh

Dont expect it.

Well I mean if they want thats fine. I dont expect them too at all, I doubt circuit city or best buy would, unless the guy wanted to make his commision really bad. I was just wondering if anyone had did this. If I go to a larger store they will be more strict and pricey.

jcovercash

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001

Dont expect it.

:p

:D

LOL, thats what has happened to me the past 3 weeks everytime I look at a TV at circuit city. I will never buy Sony again, they are overpriced POS'es

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001

Thanks,
Josh

Thanks,
Josh

Dont expect it.

Well I mean if they want thats fine. I dont expect them too at all, I doubt circuit city or best buy would, unless the guy wanted to make his commision really bad. I was just wondering if anyone had did this. If I go to a larger store they will be more strict and pricey.

CC and BB dont work on coms anymore. Go to a store that does. I know that if you came into my store and said you wanted to watch a dvd on the tv before you bought it, I would do it in a heartbeat. Of course all of our big screens and plasmas already have dvd's hooked up to them.

jcovercash

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001

Thanks,
Josh

my bologna has a first name...its Meijer

Thanks looks like it has 2 componet inputs.

What is the quality comparison of componet vs. S-Video...

BTW no-one ever answered if My home signal will be better than walmarts since there signal is running to many Tv's, and also I know people have fooled with the TV settings and it will take me a while to get it adjusted to my liking.

Josh

jcovercash

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001

CC and BB dont work on coms anymore. Go to a store that does. I know that if you came into my store and said you wanted to watch a dvd on the tv before you bought it, I would do it in a heartbeat. Of course all of our big screens and plasmas already have dvd's hooked up to them.

May I ask where you work, just out of curiosity, if there is one of your stores local, I may as well go check it out.

Sorry about the commision thing, last I knew they did but I heard that a while ago.

thanks,
Josh

vtqanh

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: vtqanh
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Their quality probably won't be as good. I've never had a bigscreen either. I almost bought one in January, but I just couldn't quite come to terms with spending that much money when I considered a few drawbacks such as 1) Viewing angle (sucks my gonads on most of these tvs. You go off center and you can't even tell if it's turned on), 2) non-HDTV quality: If you're watching regular cable/satellite, it can be somewhat shocking in how pixelated or artifacty it looks. I went to Tweeter - which has great setups - and I specifically asked to see a non HDTV image through their satellite setup. It was quite ghastly, I must say.

Bestbuy is one store, and also sears, that has your RCA tv, so you can check them and see how their setups are with it, then you could buy it at wallymart.

to address your #1: that's why i prefer tube-HDTV over the projection one. Check out the Sony 40 inch XBR (I believe 40-inch is the largest tube HDTV as of now). I have never seen anything with picture quality that comes even close!
The major drawback is that it's too heavy.

Hunh???

RPTV HDTVs kick tube-HDTVs up and down the sales floor!

Unless you go to front CRT projection, there is no better display.

I suggest you do some more research on avsforum about the Sony CRT HDTV (more specificly, the famous 34XBR910)

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001

Actually I sold 3 Sony's on Saturday. I am sitting there telling these people that they are paying an extra $200 just for that little Sony badge on the front. They didnt seem to mind.

The one guy I liked came in and picked up a 60" Hitachi LCD projection set. I told him I was coming over to watch the game at his house!

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Their quality probably won't be as good. I've never had a bigscreen either. I almost bought one in January, but I just couldn't quite come to terms with spending that much money when I considered a few drawbacks such as 1) Viewing angle (sucks my gonads on most of these tvs. You go off center and you can't even tell if it's turned on), 2) non-HDTV quality: If you're watching regular cable/satellite, it can be somewhat shocking in how pixelated or artifacty it looks. I went to Tweeter - which has great setups - and I specifically asked to see a non HDTV image through their satellite setup. It was quite ghastly, I must say.

Bestbuy is one store, and also sears, that has your RCA tv, so you can check them and see how their setups are with it, then you could buy it at wallymart.

to address your #1: that's why i prefer tube-HDTV over the projection one. Check out the Sony 40 inch XBR (I believe 40-inch is the largest tube HDTV as of now). I have never seen anything with picture quality that comes even close!

Hunh???

I suggest you do some more research on avsforum about the Sony CRT HDTV (more specificly, the famous 34XBR910)

YEAH!!! I mean, who wouldnt want a TV with something like a 40% defective rate!
CRT HD sets do have a great picture, greater viewing angle, and less of a glare issue. They are just as expensive as RP's though. If you want a good CRT check out the Toshiba 34hx83 (I hope thats the right model number.)

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

Hunh???

Sony's last gasp in tube technology.

$2500 for a 34" set. No thanks!

jcovercash

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Sony's last gasp in tube technology.

$2500 for a 34" set. No thanks!

Yea I think I paid $400 or so for a 27" Sony Trinitron a few years back.... It somehow got dropped of my entertainment center :| and now has a green discoloration on its side, hence the reason for an upgrade :p

Josh

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

Thanks,
Josh

BTW no-one ever answered if My home signal will be better than walmarts since there signal is running to many Tv's, and also I know people have fooled with the TV settings and it will take me a while to get it adjusted to my liking.

Josh

S-video is a non progressive input.

If you want 480p and better you cannot use the S connector

jcovercash

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith

Thanks,
Josh

Josh

S-video is a non progressive input.

If you want 480p and better you cannot use the S connector

Newb question here... What is the difference between regular RCA input, S-Video Input, Progressive, 480p, 1080i, or whatever, etc....
Is it sorta like the resolution on a monitor?

Thanks,
Josh

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

Newb question here... What is the difference between regular RCA input, S-Video Input, Progressive, 480p, 1080i, or whatever, etc....

Thanks,
Josh

I used to have a great analogy for that.

Anyway, composite, S-Video, and component inputs are the transport mechanisms. Component inputs look like composite (RCA inputs) but require greater bandwidth and, hence, better shielded cables.

Progressive is how the image is written to the screen. Interlaced displays the image in alternating displays (even-number lines...then the odd-numbered lines). That's 480i (only displays 240lines at a time). Progressive displays all lines of data at once (480p). Looks a heckuva lot better...esp. on faster motion. 1080i is just another level of resolution and is considered HDTV.

You'll need component inputs to do 480p or 1080i.

jcovercash

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001

Thanks,
Josh

I used to have a great analogy for that.

Anyway, composite, S-Video, and component inputs are the transport mechanisms. Component inputs look like composite (RCA inputs) but require greater bandwidth and, hence, better shielded cables.

Progressive is how the image is written to the screen. Interlaced displays the image in alternating displays (even-number lines...then the odd-numbered lines). That's 480i (only displays 240lines at a time). Progressive displays all lines of data at once (480p). Looks a heckuva lot better...esp. on faster motion. 1080i is just another level of resolution and is considered HDTV.

You'll need component inputs to do 480p or 1080i.

Ok so since the Panasonic has 1080i or 480P display capability, I will be able to use componet cables with my xbox and DVD player for progressive scan correct? Which will give me the best displays possible from these items?

I can see no reason why not to get the Panasonic, Is there any reason Y I shouldnt?

Josh

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

prvteye2003

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
also, as of right now, not all broadcasts are done in hd. But supposedly, within the next 4-5 years, they will be.

jcovercash

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001

that's it...same thing I have (but have yet to hookup).

So, yeah, go for the Panasonic! :)

One more thing, you do realize to get HDTV programming you'll need either 1) Cable company that provides HD programming; 2) Satellite subscription (DISH, DirecTV, etc.); or 3) HDTV receiver with Over-The-Air (OTA) reception.

Yea we have digital cable right now, I have Time Warners digital receiver but we dont subscribe to any digital channels atm except like 3 that came with our service.

Josh

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
i've had bad luck with RCA so far, whereas JVC has been REALLY good go me, never had anything to break, so i can't say much about service, but they products are top notch(for my sector anyways)

CTrain

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
Costco has this Akai 42 HDTV for $999-$100 rebate AKAI
It is a rebaded Samsung

Thinking about buying it. I heard Costco has a great warranty.