are americans over-indulgent?

dolph

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
amused's other thread about banning smoking on beaches in ca got me looking up some stats, and it got me thinking. hundreds of thousands of people die every year directly from cigarettes, alcohol, and obesity-related diseases, all of which are disgustingly simple to prevent. not to mention the hundreds of billions of dollars it costs everyone. how can so many people engage in such self-destructive behavior? is it to society's benefit for them to do so, or maybe we should consider doing something more about it? every once in a while i can have a double cheeseburger with fries, a beer, and a cig to finish it off, but obviously a lot of people can't make it an occasional thing. how can we teach people moderation? is it even possible? or is it simply something that no one should care about, because we're all gonna go sometime and if it's sooner than later then there's more stuff for the rest of us.

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
PEOPLE are over-indulgent. Just give anyone the chance to be, and they will be.

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
It's not that Americans are genetically over-indulgent, it's that Americans have the most opportunity to over-indulge.

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
how can we teach people moderation?

I don't want you to teach me moderation. I want to do what I please, and if it doesn't negatively effect you, why should you care?

Also, have you ever seen "Demolition Man"? Where does it stop? Fining people for swearing? Not letting people eat a steak if they want to?

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004
As long as people overindulge in something that doesn't harm other people, why should it be our job to prevent it? Leave the decision to them.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
hmm...where's a Denis Leary quote when you need one?

edit: ah yes
I'm into freedom of speech and freedom of choice. I'm the kind of guy who'd walk into a greasy spoon and ask 'Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecued ribs with the side order of gravy fries?' I WANT high cholesterol. I wanna eat bacon and butter and BUCKETS of cheese, okay? I want to smoke Cuban cigars the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section. I want to run through the streets naked with green jello all over my body reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly might feel the urge to, okay?

amcdonald

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
Originally posted by: KingNothing
It's not that Americans are genetically over-indulgent, it's that Americans have the most opportunity to over-indulge.
So true. Rich europeans drive sports cars too.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Sifl
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
Originally posted by: AvesPKS

I don't want you to teach me moderation. I want to do what I please, and if it doesn't negatively effect you, why should you care?

Damn straight.
It's your fat ass I have to sit next to on the plane, isn't it?
Hence the negatively affect you part. I do think that we need to get off our fat asses and execise and eat right, but I'll be damned if they're going to pass a law requiring me to do that. And BTW, I'm about 170lbs.

dolph

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001

Also, have you ever seen "Demolition Man"? Where does it stop? Fining people for swearing? Not letting people eat a steak if they want to?

you're making my point all too easy.

do you think anyone wants to taught moderation? does that mean they don't need to be taught? and it effects me if you develop lung cancer without having adequate medical insurance, or get behind the wheel of a car after you've been drinking, or any other variety of things that would exactly negatively effect me.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: dolph

do you think anyone wants to taught moderation? does that mean they don't need to be taught? and it effects me if you develop lung cancer without having adequate medical insurance, or get behind the wheel of a car after you've been drinking, or any other variety of things that would exactly negatively effect me.

See that's the thing. It doesn't negatively affect you.

Just the possbility. And last I checked we lived in a free country.

But yes, americans are over-indulgent because we're so dang wealthy. Also we're "consumers"...we like to consume and that is banged into our heads since birth.

And no I don't want to be taught how to live because maybe I don't agree with the teacher who has his own personal agenda in mind and not my liberties.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Originally posted by: RaynorWolfcastle
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
And BTW, I'm about 170lbs.

...you conveniently forget to mention that you're a midget ;) :p
Hey, I prefer "vertically challenged". :p
Actually, I'm 6'1" (not that anybody really cares).

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: spidey07

Just the possbility.
Wrong. It happens at predictable rates.
And last I checked we lived in a free country.
Last I checked we lived in a Republic, which,while not a police state, is not free.
But yes, americans are over-indulgent because we're so dang wealthy. Also we're "consumers"...we like to consume and that is banged into our heads since birth.
Yes, we want. But then we want more.
And no I don't want to be taught how to live because maybe I don't agree with the teacher who has his own personal agenda in mind and not my liberties.
As long as it doesn't affect me or anyone else, you can do whatever you want. However, many addictive things (smoking, drinking, gambling) will affect others. After all,nobody got hurt when others played the stock market...

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
You know I don't want to live in a little 1 bedroom apt, I don't want to ride a bike to work, I don't want to eat healthy all the time and I don't want to take 2 min showers. Why? Because I like flavor in my life. If everyone did the above and just lived by what they needed and not by what they wanted then this country would collapse in on itself. This would probably be a good thing in the long run but I don't care. Pass me a beer.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Cerb

Just the possbility.
Wrong. It happens at predictable rates.
And last I checked we lived in a free country.
Last I checked we lived in a Republic, which,while not a police state, is not free.
Yes, we want. But then we want more.
As long as it doesn't affect me or anyone else, you can do whatever you want. However, many addictive things (smoking, drinking, gambling) will affect others. After all,nobody got hurt when others played the stock market...

smoking does not affect you
gambling does not affect you
drinking does not affect you
obesity does not affect you
crime in topeka kansas does not affect you

get the picture?

dolph

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001

get the picture?

did you miss my last post? yes, it does effect me. all of it does. that's the whole point. if it didn't effect me i wouldn't give a shjt. do i care that someone chooses to play video games at night instead of reading to blind kids? no. but do i care if the same person gets loaded and decides he can drive home? yes.

"This would probably be a good thing in the long run but I don't care."
right.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

get the picture?

did you miss my last post? yes, it does effect me. all of it does. that's the whole point. if it didn't effect me i wouldn't give a shjt. do i care that someone chooses to play video games at night instead of reading to blind kids? no. but do i care if the same person gets loaded and decides he can drive home? yes.

"This would probably be a good thing in the long run but I don't care."
right.

How does it affect you? I'd really like to know because I honestly don't see any way that it can.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

How does it affect you? I'd really like to know because I honestly don't see any way that it can.

medicare/medicaid/increased hospital costs for under-/not-insured, etc.