Question Are 2 Heatsinks on an M.2 SSD problematic?

Morgray

Jan 27, 2011
We got a Adata M.2 SSD and it came with one of those sticker heatsinks which we put on it. When we put the SSD into the M.2 Port on the ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming Mainboard we noticed that the mainboards' M.2 Heatsink also has one of the Sticker-type heatinks on the M.2 Cover meaning 2 heatsink-stickers would be stacked on top of each other, so I was wondering if its ok to leave both those heatsinks on or if we should remove for example the heatsink sticker that came with the SSD?

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Not that I've ever seen.

In fact, some drives incorporate thermal material in the label (such as the Samsung 970 EVO Plus).

Thanks ;)

My 970 Pro has a shiny black label across the chips that doesn't look like it will stay for long and my ARock Z390 Phantom has this crazy heatsink/pipe with that gummy transfer bad that looks it'll damage the label.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I've had a 960 EVO for many years now (I think I bought it in 2016?), and its label is still going strong. I've used it without any heatsinks on it, and in add-in cards that used thermal tape directly on it, and the sticker is not peeling or coming off at all.

Reactions: paperfist

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
my gigabyte mb has a heatsink that came with it with double sided tape material to stick onto the NVME drive. If I were to change NVME drives, is that tape re-usable? it'd be so stupid if it was 1 time use...

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
When using the motherboards heatsink, remove the heatsink your drive came with. Many of the new PCI-E 4.0 drives have heat sinks on them, but many mobos (like most all X570's) have an integrated heatsink that requires removing the drives stock heatsink.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
When using the motherboards heatsink, remove the heatsink your drive came with. Many of the new PCI-E 4.0 drives have heat sinks on them, but many mobos (like most all X570's) have an integrated heatsink that requires removing the drives stock heatsink.
Why not leave the OEM heatsink on? Its installed from the factory, may/may not be a problem in warranty situations. Its also probably glued on so a small percentage of people may damage the bare drive.

What makes the OEM heatsink better/worse than the heatsink that comes with your motherboard?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Why not leave the OEM heatsink on? Its installed from the factory, may/may not be a problem in warranty situations. Its also probably glued on so a small percentage of people may damage the bare drive.

What makes the OEM heatsink better/worse than the heatsink that comes with your motherboard?

They are not compatible together. On my motherboard for instance, if you remove the motherboards heatsink, you end up with several other chips that now have no heat sink. So the motherboards heatsink has to be used in this case. The heatsink that comes with the drive are intended for boards that don't have an integrated m.2 heatsink.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
They are not compatible together. On my motherboard for instance, if you remove the motherboards heatsink, you end up with several other chips that now have no heat sink. So the motherboards heatsink has to be used in this case. The heatsink that comes with the drive are intended for boards that don't have an integrated m.2 heatsink.
Yea, that's a definite.

But with boards such as:
13-145-082-V01.jpg

The 2x m.2 heatsinks are individually removable, so one can use a m.2 drive without them, and use the m.2 drive with its OEM heatsink if it has one.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Yea, that's a definite.

But with boards such as:
13-145-082-V01.jpg

The 2x m.2 heatsinks are individually removable, so one can use a m.2 drive without them, and use the m.2 drive with its OEM heatsink if it has one.

Ahh, for that style for sure, the user can use one or the other. But the op had been asking if using both was an issue.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Using both heatsinks together will degrade the performance of both heatsinks, making it harder to keep the drive cool. Best not to use the heatsink provided with the motherboard.