Arctic Silver good?

ogn

Mar 17, 2000
I read all the reviews and decided to purchase it myself. I have a Duron 650@950 on KT7 Raid. I have been using the Radio Shack stuff. When I put on the Arctic Silver, my cpu temperatures go up!!! After a few minutes of Seti, it reaches 46. The Radio Shack stuff never passes 44. I've tried applying the silver stuff twice with similar results. Went back to the Radio Shack stuff and it's back to the lower temperature. What is going on here. All the reviews say it's the best thing out there. I have an Alpha also...any ideas?

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
is your kt7 measuring temps from the backside of the cpu via thermistor or actually measure CPU temperature?

Either way, the temps should be going down. Did you put too thin of a layer? Its okay to put some excess artic silver because it compresses so easily. Once you mount the clip, it'll squeeze out any excess grease.

Mike

ogn

Mar 17, 2000
First I put on a thick layer. When I put on the Alpha, most of it was pushed to the side. Then I tried a thin layer with the same results.
The KT7 measures with a thermistor on the backside. And you're right, either way it should lower the temperature. I emailed Arctic Silver person, and he told me to put on a thick layer too. I replied saying I already tried it...wonder what he'll say back.

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
What's weird is that you're sayign the AS was pushed to one side of the cpu... do you hvea an original alpha, or an alpha with a revised socket A clip?

I just bought a tube last nite. Waiting on the delivery.
Im hopeing that this will make a difference here for me.
Running a p3 700 cbo @ 700 (until RAM purchase is made)

ogn

Mar 17, 2000
Just tried it on my P3 600@800. Initial results show it 1C HIGHER!!! I don't get it. This is on a MSI 6309. I don't remember the Alpha model, but it's for socket processors, has copper insert, and doesn't have any "feet" on it. My P3 had some grey compound on it. I don't even remember where I got that from...Is the copper insert having adverse effects? I need more info please from those who have already bought and used this stuff. I bought 2 tubes too and so far my results aren't very impressive.

The AS was pushed to all sides. The downward pressure I applied caused it to be forced out, not just on 1 side. I get good contact with the Alpha because when I remove it, there is an imprint of the die. I can sometimes even make out some letters. I don't think the mount is the problem...

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
hmm, since its "hand" manufactured, maybe you got a bad batch? i've installed my tube on over 30 CPu's and haven't seen the temp jump up once.

Mike

Vrangel

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2000
They make two varieties of Arctic Silver:
for small contact area (FCPGA) and for a large contact area (socket 370).
Which one you've got?

ogn

Mar 17, 2000
The variety is just the applicator. The large area one just has a bigger opening at the end. I have the small area one with smaller tip for tight installations.
MikeWarrior2: Have you ever installed in with an Alpha w/ the copper insert.

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
Yeah, PLenty of copper Alpha's. The Latest "victim" was my friends 600e@800 with a PEP66. i swapped out the MPU3.7 for Artic Silver, adn the temps dropped 4C under load.

I personally am using a PEP66/Pal35t(depends which MB i'm using) and both have copper. I haven't had any adverse effects with Artic silver.

My only concern is, if you have an original alpha, and not hte socket A revised clip, the clip could potentially be the trouble maker.

Mike

DrSheep

Jul 30, 2000
I got a 7c temp drop under full load using Arctic Silver with FOB32+ fan vs Vantech with the A7V default white stuff.

ogn

Mar 17, 2000
I have the socket A revised clip for sure. I dug up one of my older alphas (all aluminum) and the clip didn't even give a good hold on the cpu, so I'm pretty sure I have the revised one. I wanted to test to see if it was a copper thing.
I will try it again soon, maybe third time's a charm. *knock knock*
Is this AS stuff supposed to be thick? I mean like the Radio Shack paste? Mine feels more liquidy (if that's a word) than the Radio Shack stuff.

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
You only have the revised clip if you bought a new pal6035 within the last few weeks. They were just released(and in small numbers might I add).

Artic Silver is more liquidy than most thermal paste's. It makes it very easy to spread out.

Mike

ogn

Mar 17, 2000
Third time was NOT a charm...I'm running at 48C. That was 2 higher than the last time I put it on and 4 higher than Radio Shack stuff. Maybe I'm getting false readings.
About the clip, even if it was too lose, shouldn't I get higher results with the RS paste using the same hsf?
But I'll look into the clip...

I bought my alphas from 3dfxcool. They should be the ones that support socket370/A. I tried the AS with a Taisol socketA fan. The taisol temperature was about 1 to 2 C higher than the alpha with the RS paste. With the AS, the Taisol also was 48C. Arrrggggg!!!

I may just have to send this back.

How do I get this AS stuff off!!?? It's all over my CPU now.

Rapha

Mar 13, 2000
Did you clean surfaces with this two steps ?
1. Quality degeaser
2. Isopropyl alcohol

ogn

Mar 17, 2000
All's gone to hell now. I removed the CPU, took off the lame OEM sticker off from under the CPU, bent the thermal diode to another position (since I thought it might not be measuring the temp at the right spot). It's still slightly above the hieght of the socket, since the CPU sits high when I put it in. I have to press the CPU down and lock it to get it flat so I think there's good contact on the backside. Put back on the CPU with RS paste and Alpha and now I'm reading 36C under load. Wow!! (sarcastically).
I think I must have damaged the probe. I now 36 for a Duron 950 is too low. Maybe it was that damn sticker. Maybe those things are heat sponges. I think I may have been measuring the temperature of the sticker. Man do those stickers get hot! I would recommend removing any stickers under the CPU!
I followed those cleaning instructions. I don't know about quality, but it's a degreaser.
At lease my temps are lower now...RIGHT!!!
I'm off the deep end now...look at me swim!

ogn

Mar 17, 2000
Here's where my story ends...I broke the thermal probe underneath the socket. I cannot measure cpu temperature anymore...thanks Arctic Silver. THE END.

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
Thanks Artic Silver? WTH does that mean? Artic Silver somehow magically broke your thermal sensor?

Mike

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
It appears to be so! :p

I have an Alpha pal with the newer clip, and man that thing is a 5lut to get on onto a BP6...

ogn

Mar 17, 2000
I was just a little frustrated about the whole ordeal. Arctic Silver, at least for me, has not lived up to its claims. I'm running with the RS paste again, and although I don't know the exact temperature anymore, I still know what ballpark it's in. If it was the probe misreading the temperature, then good thing it broke anyway.

Now does anyone know how to replace a thermal diode? Can I just solder another one on? And where can I get one?

kingink

Apr 24, 2000
Arctic silver worked for me. I had a five degree C temp drop under seti (50C to 45C). Cool running man. I am going to do use this on all my processors and hestsinks. Oh yeah, a little and I do mean a little goes a long way. IN other words, be careful because it gets everywhere.