Arctic Freezer 64 Pro -- attaching 2nd fan to the back?

Oct 30, 2004
In order to improve cooling on the Arctic Freezer 64 Pro, has anyone ever attached a fan to the back (blowing out)? What size did you use (92 mm or 120 mm?) and how did you attach it? Would it be a problem if the back fan were blowing at max speed all of the time (plugged directly into power supply) when the stock fan on the front of the heatsink wasn't blowing at full speed continuously? Did it rattle a lot and make noise?

I wonder if there might be some sort of a way to attach a fan securely using zip ties.

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007
IMO both fans should be working with the same speed.

I attached a fan to my Northbridge with a Drywall screw (don't laugh! LOL), carefully screwing it between the heatsink fins, to pry them open a little, just enough to "bite in" a bit.
Just find a screw with the diameter close to the distance between the fins.

Good luck!

Oct 30, 2004

Screws--I hadn't thought of that. What would happen if the fan that sucks air out of the heatsink pushed air at a faster rate than the one that blows the air over the heatsink? Why would that necessarily be so bad?

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007
IMO, it could disrupt the airflow.

The slower fan would act more like a baffle for the faster fan trying to push/pull the air thru.

If they work in sync, you practically double the airflow.

But again - it might be verified only by the trial and error approach.

jjmIII

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
I don't think it would help.
Give it a try, and let us know.

Oct 30, 2004

What would happen if you had two fans at 90 degree angles to one another; the stock fan plus an 80mm fan, not on the back, but on one of the two sides? I'm probably not going to try anything; just wondering if anyone else had tried.