Arctic Accelero Mono Plus installed on a GTX 670 and GTX 680 reference

The_Golden_Man

Apr 7, 2012
Here is from a Swedish forum at sweclockers.com - GTX 670 reference

http://www.sweclockers.com/forum/125-geforce/1116541-gtx-670-arctic-cooling-accelero-mono-plus/

E8Wip.jpg

And here is the same cooler mounted on a GTX 680. From overclock.net

http://www.overclock.net/t/1255896/gtx-680-accelero-mono-plus

IGWoG.jpg

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Man, the 670 looks ridiculous with that thing. Plus the VRM's are only cooled by heatsinks which isn't ideal...VRM temps are a big factor in high overclocks. GPU cooling is half the story.

Go big or go home with water IMO :p

The_Golden_Man

Apr 7, 2012

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
How can two GPUs that perform within 5-10% of eachother have so different reference PCBs ... weird.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Yeah, my 670 looks way better with the Twin Turbo II :whiste:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2249721

I would really like to see a reference GTX 670 with the Accelero Xtreme III :eek:

You will never see a 670 or 680 with a accelero extreme 3 because it doesn't work on reference boards, lol. Kind of ridiculous that they even made a product out of it when it only works on boards that have aftermarket coolers already (without stacked power connectors)

Plus for that price is nearly the price of a block anyway....

The_Golden_Man

Apr 7, 2012
You will never see a 670 or 680 with a accelero extreme 3 because it doesn't work on reference boards, lol. Kind of ridiculous that they even made a product out of it when it only works on boards that have aftermarket coolers already (without stacked power connectors)

Plus for that price is nearly the price of a block anyway....

It will work on a reference 670, since it does not have stacked power connectors. However, it would look totally ridiculous :oops:

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
It will work on a reference 670, since it does not have stacked power connectors. However, it would look totally ridiculous :oops:

Hmm, that would be pretty interesting to see. The extreme coolers are around 11 inches long if memory serves, how long is the reference 670 PCB? Aesthetics and color scheme are the most important things for picking PC components!

The_Golden_Man

Apr 7, 2012
Hmm, that would be pretty interesting to see. The extreme coolers are around 11 inches long if memory serves, how long is the reference 670 PCB? Aesthetics and color scheme are the most important things for picking PC components!

the PCB is just 6.8125-inches long!

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
Man, the 670 looks ridiculous with that thing. Plus the VRM's are only cooled by heatsinks which isn't ideal...VRM temps are a big factor in high overclocks. GPU cooling is half the story.

Go big or go home with water IMO :p

The GTX 670 doesn't even have them installed and in the link for the GTX 680 install the guy complained of insufficient cooling for the VRMs.

Last edited:

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I gave thought of using my Xtreme II with my 670 but water is so much easier and space saving

Plus water looks better

photobucket-7838-1338675563514.jpg

you should get the swiftech block thats coming out this month. Gabe @ swiftech says it should be ready soon, and that will be full coverage to cool the VRM's more.

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
you should get the swiftech block thats coming out this month. Gabe @ swiftech says it should be ready soon, and that will be full coverage to cool the VRM's more.

If the price is right im definitely in for it. Vrms get very hot on this card even with a 120mm fan blowing right on the heatsink.

Any links on it?

Last edited:

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011
I don't see a point for extreme cooling on GTX 670's and GTX 680's. Unless you can mod the volts the things won't produce enough heat to really need a monster cooler, or even water for that matter.

Big coolers would work better on the 7970.

The_Golden_Man

Apr 7, 2012
I don't see a point for extreme cooling on GTX 670's and GTX 680's. Unless you can mod the volts the things won't produce enough heat to really need a monster cooler, or even water for that matter.

Reason is silence and lifespan of card. I'm running The Witcher 2 at only 45c degrees now, and cannot even hear the Twin Turbo II fans. With stock cooler it was terrible loud and 80c LoL!

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011

I max out at 36c at 1250 boost core with my 670 on ultra. That's why she's on water.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Don: I agree with your use of a water cooler. I think the best alternate cooler is a full water block which also addresses the vram heat. Accellero does a great job on the GPU but relies on passive heatsinks for the vram. My experience is that the vram temps are higher with the Accellero cooler than the stock reference cooler eventhough the Accellero does a better cooling job of the GPU. With the cost of these new video cards and the ability to OC ram ( and the resultant higher heats) I would make certain than the Vram has a better cooling system. Thus a FULL water block for both the vram and GPU may be the safest way to go if you replace the reference cooler.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
I also think part of the problem is that people who use the Accellero only look at the GPU temp change and NOT the Vram temps. If you really search the forums, that's a reoccurring theme with aftermarket coolers - GPU temp is cooler BUT if they check the Vram temp it is higher.

May 13, 2009
I also think part of the problem is that people who use the Accellero only look at the GPU temp change and NOT the Vram temps. If you really search the forums, that's a reoccurring theme with aftermarket coolers - GPU temp is cooler BUT if they check the Vram temp it is higher.

The windforce is the only non reference that I know of that cools the vrm, memory, and gpu with the same heatsink. Even the asus dcii is using passive heatsinks which is fail IMO.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
The windforce is the only non reference that I know of that cools the vrm, memory, and gpu with the same heatsink. Even the asus dcii is using passive heatsinks which is fail IMO.
Great point and perhaps why it is such a popular and overclockable card.:cool:

The_Golden_Man

Apr 7, 2012
Infact, a cooler like the Accelero Twin Turbo II will cool the RAM much better VS the stock cooler. First of all I use heatsinks on all appart from 2 chips. Secondly the two Twin Turbo fans blow air all over the PCB to cool the RAM chips even better.

Several years ago I owned a 8800GTX. This card had temp monitors for many components of the board. vrm's with the stock cooler exceeded 90c and all temps were very high across the board. Then I changed to the Thermalright HR03 Plus. This cooler is similar to many of the Arctic Accelero coolers... The temps dropped tremendously across the the card. Not just the GPU temp.

Also, the GTX 670's reference cooler have no cooling of the RAM chips. Only core and blowing hot air through the vrm heatsink.

Even the ram chips on the backside of my card are much cooler now vs with stock cooling. This is because the card in itself (pcb) is much better cooled and because I have heatsinks on the chips.

With the stock cooler I burnt my finger when holding on the RAM chips under load. With this cooler they are just a little bit warm to the touch.

Even the vrm heatsinks are only warm to the touch, and not superhot. As I've said, the two fans are blowing through the Twin Turbo heatsink and cooling down the card. Also, I have a sidecase fan blowing fresh air directly towards the card and feeding the Twin Turbo fans with fresh air. But even without this, the card is nice and cool.

So people, stop assuming if you don't know.

And those stock coolers like GTX 580 and 680's use, are the same principle as the coolers used for 8800GTX/Ultra. They have heatplates with thermal pads covering all RAM chips, VRM's and all that stuff. This is in no way a good solution. They trap more heat than actually cooling the chips. My best proof was with the 8800GTX, since it had so many sensors, I could monitor all temps.

It is much better to have a naked PCB with sinks on everything and fans blowing directly down on the PCB to cool everything even better.

Had I changed the stock cooler of my now dead Gigabyte GTX 570 (reference) card, to a good Arctic Accelero Cooler, I'm sure the card would have still been up and kicking. The card's pvm simply overheated and burnt with the stock cooler (Same cooler as the reference GTX 580 and similar to many other stock coolers, with that heatplate and thermalpads covering the whole pcb).

And my old 8800GTX with the HR03 Plus I sold to a boy several years ago. He is still gaming on it very often. That card was bought in the beginning of 2007 if I remember correctly. I'm sure that card would have been dead a long time ago hadn't I changed cooler. I'm sure of it.

Last edited:

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
"So people, stop assuming if you don't know."

The Golden Man: My vram temps slightly increased when I used the Accellero on my 8800GT. I know, I checked. I made sure the passive heatsinks were cooled with a fan. Your experience may be different than mine.

My point is to be careful with aftermarket coolers that you not think that just cooling the GPU will do.

"It is much better to have a naked PCB with sinks on everything and fans blowing directly down on the PCB to cool everything even better."

A qualified yes. IF the heatsinks are properly applied and good ones - yes it makes a difference.

Last edited:

The_Golden_Man

Apr 7, 2012
"So people, stop assuming if you don't know."

The Golden Man: My vram temps slightly increased when I used the Accellero on my 8800GT. I know, I checked. I made sure the passive heatsinks were cooled with a fan. Your experience may be different than mine.

My point is to be careful with aftermarket coolers that you not think that just cooling the GPU will do.

"It is much better to have a naked PCB with sinks on everything and fans blowing directly down on the PCB to cool everything even better."

A qualified yes. IF the heatsinks are properly applied and good ones - yes it makes a difference.

Did that 8800GT have reference cooling? And what type of Accelero was it? I find it very strange you did get higher temps on the vram when using heatsinks and fans blowing on them.

dac7nco

Jun 7, 2009
I know of no enclosure that would fit a side panel on with that clunky, fugly cooler.

Daimon

boiler1990

Apr 2, 2011
Is the Mono Plus a dual or triple slot cooler? I have a 560Ti that was under water (replaced by a 670 ;)) and I need a cooler for it. Hoping to put it in a mITX build for my brother, but I think a triple slot cooler will be too large.