Archeage Thread

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
That was fixed within the first 3 days of launch. You're way late to the party. :p

Yeah, I was thinking of trying it but so many complained about not being able to get online so I figured I'd wait. So, yeah. late to the party. LOL

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
Game must be popular, people are fleeing Rift in droves.

It is, but unless they're paying for it, they will probably be back to Rift after too long. F2P are going to get crushed after level 30 simply due to not having enough labor points to open the coin purses dropped in combat to afford AH gear and the astounding number of LP needed to craft anything like new gear.

The only hope they'll have is trade routes, which is going to turn off a lot of people who want instant gratification.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
OK, played it this afternoon.

Do not like. Way too japanophile and KAWAII!! If I wanted that kind of nonsense I'd play Final Fantasy 17 or whatever the hell it is.

Figures, I finally jump on Rift when they have it nice and polished, and people start leaving.
And I bet they dont come back. They will get sick of Archage, take a break from MMO's, and do something else entirely.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
OK, played it this afternoon.

Do not like. Way too japanophile and KAWAII!! If I wanted that kind of nonsense I'd play Final Fantasy 17 or whatever the hell it is.

You don't know much about Archeage, do you. The game's been out for some time. It's a Korean MMO. Trion didn't build it. They simply licensed it for western and euro audiences.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Man i been having a blast lately with it. I got level 50 finally, the game has lots of time sinks. But when they told me sport fishing was addicting i was like "sure..sounds real fun "sarcastically. I'm so addicted. lol

I also grew 30 pine trees in wild and no one found them. cha ching!

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
I haven't started to grow anything or do trade packs. Is there something I missed as I seem to have missed this entirely.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
I haven't started to grow anything or do trade packs. Is there something I missed as I seem to have missed this entirely.

The Blue [something] Brotherhood or whatever in your quest log. That's the trade quest line. If you do the first two quests from this group, you get a donkey mount to use while trading (can't use other mounts and you walk slow as balls).

That should get you started.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I assume the games fun the way people talk about it, but it's one of the first times graphics have really turned me off. You look at some stuff at the right angle and it looks ok, but then other things look a bit off... and then you look at stuff from a bad angle and it's just WTF terrible 2005 graphics. That and the way stuff tends to pop-in and out when I was watching people's videos just way beyond bad. It's like they only cared about a very short narrow field directly in front of you so they could take some good screenshots and said fuck it to everything else. If it was just mediocre all around, it wouldn't bother me so much, but the way it's constantly shifting in quality and so jarring just irritates me.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
I assume the games fun the way people talk about it, but it's one of the first times graphics have really turned me off. You look at some stuff at the right angle and it looks ok, but then other things look a bit off... and then you look at stuff from a bad angle and it's just WTF terrible 2005 graphics. That and the way stuff tends to pop-in and out when I was watching people's videos just way beyond bad. It's like they only cared about a very short narrow field directly in front of you so they could take some good screenshots and said fuck it to everything else. If it was just mediocre all around, it wouldn't bother me so much, but the way it's constantly shifting in quality and so jarring just irritates me.

There are graphical problems if you turn the settings way way down. If you leave the settings at the highest or high settings, these things don't generally happen.

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005

I have to say, this is the most beautiful game I've played and I've played them all. It does use the crytek engine and looks amazing at high settings which my PC handles just fine at 1920*1080.

I'm using an i5 2400 and an AMD 270.

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
The Blue [something] Brotherhood or whatever in your quest log. That's the trade quest line. If you do the first two quests from this group, you get a donkey mount to use while trading (can't use other mounts and you walk slow as balls).

That should get you started.

Awesome thanks!

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011

I think you're way off. This is the most beautiful and engaging MMO world I've seen in a looooong time. The CryEngine is slightly dated (it's the same one that Aion used, and Archeage has been out in Korea for years already) but it still looks fantastic overall. The water shaders are among the best I've ever seen.

Wildstar came out earlier this year and it looks like absolute garbage in comparison. The Koreans are way ahead of us when it comes to world building in MMOs.

gerald95

Oct 16, 2019
Tried it a few years ago. When it just started growing but I've read that it's kind of a pay to win game and that made me sceptical about Archeage. Anyway how is it really? Is it worth playing or should I just stick to hoping that WoW will get good again sometime?

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
It's fairly active with 6 servers up and most having a queue to get in, all pay2win has been removed.

Dannar26

Mar 13, 2012
Probably, but in theory it does remind me of the only MMORPG I ever enjoyed which was SWG.

Tell me more!

I played SWG back in 2003 or so...long before space ships and everybody being a Jedi. I was into crafting, and remember running around setting up my auto-mining operations and bringing back the goods to my randomly placed house out in the middle of the Tatooine desert. I really liked how there were trade offs to what you could and couldn't do, and how the crafting was very deep.