Archeage Thread

Rinaun

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2005
Starting an Archeage thread since this MMO has become pretty big. Here's a few links you should watch about Archeage, along with a quick blurb:

ArcheAge is a medieval fantasy massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) developed by Korean studio XL Games. The game has been licensed to Trion Worlds for the NA markets.

Main Website: http://www.archeagegame.com/en/

Alpha gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=209G_PEf7bk

Features:

Huge Persistent World
Territory Control / Keeps
Mass Siege PvP & Naval Warfare
Non-instanced Housing
Crafted Housing, Boats, etc
Farming (Crops & Livestock)
Gliding, Sailing, Mounts, Combat pets

I'll update this sometime this week with robust links to class/character info and other stuff. Back to finals!

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
I've been keeping an eye on this one for the last few years. I've seen some neat things with it. But I've also been scared away because of some goofy Asian nonsense. If I remember right, I've seen cars in the game? Like VW Bug. I don't know if it was a joke/photoshop, etc.

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
I'm interested in this one. I don't know why it's taken/taking so long to bring it out here in NA but I'm glad it's finally coming.

I'm sure as hell not going to pay >$100 for their founder's pack garbage that gives you alpha access. That's the most blatant cash grab I've ever seen anywhere.

mcjonesy

May 22, 2012
I've been keeping an eye on this one for the last few years. I've seen some neat things with it. But I've also been scared away because of some goofy Asian nonsense. If I remember right, I've seen cars in the game? Like VW Bug. I don't know if it was a joke/photoshop, etc.

That wasn't a bug, it was a feature.

tuco404

Jul 10, 2011
ArcheAge is coming out in a few days, head start is this Friday! We're super pumped for it. It has a fresh approach to open world PvP, land ownership, naval warfare and crafting. After playing so many onrails type MMOs a truly open world game with world PvP, player driven crafting, a beautiful world for exploration and player-built cities is a breath of fresh air.

http://images.mmorpg.com/images/galleries/full/132013/0c70d664-8fa5-4380-a513-4d24c8910d90.jpg
http://mp4vod-archeage.x-cdn.com/preview_en/res_1/images/siege/bg.jpg
http://www.gameguyz.com/sites/default/files/pictures_images/01.09.2012/1346469207_12.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/77sau.jpg

I'm part of a PvP focused guild that's built a reputation for victory. Our goal is to claim villages, islands and a castle in the north and defend it against any who would seek our destruction.

www.prx-guild.com

http://youtu.be/6IMNbzdvcuw

We began in August 1999 in Ultima Online and have competed in every major MMORPG, on the respective hardcore PvP servers, since that time. For a more detailed account of our accomplishments, see our Combat Statistics or our History. 100 members of our team have been with us over 6 years, we have 100+ testers in Alpha.

We look forward to the same success in ArcheAge and are always looking for a few good gamers and people. Note that we are closing recruitment on Wednesday so we can prepare our members for battle on Friday.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
ArcheAge is coming out in a few days, head start is this Friday! We're super pumped for it. It has a fresh approach to open world PvP, land ownership, naval warfare and crafting. After playing so many onrails type MMOs a truly open world game with world PvP, player driven crafting, a beautiful world for exploration and player-built cities is a breath of fresh air.

http://images.mmorpg.com/images/galleries/full/132013/0c70d664-8fa5-4380-a513-4d24c8910d90.jpg
http://mp4vod-archeage.x-cdn.com/preview_en/res_1/images/siege/bg.jpg
http://www.gameguyz.com/sites/default/files/pictures_images/01.09.2012/1346469207_12.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/77sau.jpg

I'm part of a PvP focused guild that's built a reputation for victory. Our goal is to claim villages, islands and a castle in the north and defend it against any who would seek our destruction.

www.prx-guild.com

http://youtu.be/6IMNbzdvcuw

We began in August 1999 in Ultima Online and have competed in every major MMORPG, on the respective hardcore PvP servers, since that time. For a more detailed account of our accomplishments, see our Combat Statistics or our History. 100 members of our team have been with us over 6 years, we have 100+ testers in Alpha.

We look forward to the same success in ArcheAge and are always looking for a few good gamers and people. Note that we are closing recruitment on Wednesday so we can prepare our members for battle on Friday.

Question - are you receiving any sort of compensation, financial or otherwise, for promotional posting such as this? Are you being encouraged by the publisher?

pathos

Aug 12, 2009
I didn't know anything about this, but did download and try it during the open beta.

Won't be a game I buy and play though, since it is a pvp focused game, and I don't like pvp.

A shame though, really. The visuals of the game are ok, and the class system seems pretty deep (on the surface anyway, since that's all I touched on during my brief stay).

I do wonder, however, out of all the different types of builds you could make in the game, how many of them are actually viable.......

Well, the answer won't doesn't seem like it will matter to me in the end, since I'm already done with it.

tuco404

Jul 10, 2011
Question - are you receiving any sort of compensation, financial or otherwise, for promotional posting such as this? Are you being encouraged by the publisher?
Nope! Just getting the word out about the game!

jruchko

May 5, 2010
Your post reads like you are part of the comany so if possible I would like to ask a question.

Do you have any plans to change your current pay-to-win model, or have you already fixed those issues in the last few days? I am talking about the insanely low drop rate for Archeum, and the fact that 90% of your max daily labor points come from cash shop potions.

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
Your post reads like you are part of the comany so if possible I would like to ask a question.

Do you have any plans to change your current pay-to-win model, or have you already fixed those issues in the last few days? I am talking about the insanely low drop rate for Archeum, and the fact that 90% of your max daily labor points come from cash shop potions.

I will answer that for you.....

No, that is how they make money.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005

Mmm it has no pay to win model. The only thing a subscription gets you is houses/land. Even then they can add you to list of people who can use house. I got to level 42 and hardly used labor points other than opening packs.

The endgame is pvp..you don't need to subscribe to that.

jruchko

May 5, 2010
I will answer that for you.....

No, that is how they make money.

It will actually most likely lose them money overall because a lot of people left the game once those changes were put in place. I am sure there will be a few people who stick around because they can buy their way to victory and they like that, but most people will not touch a game that is pay to win.

@imaheadcase - Crafted gear is the best in the game, and you need labor points for almost everything in the game besides actual combat. If you pay, you get better gear then everyone who doesn't pay. I really don't get how this can be viewed as anything OTHER then pay to win.

Last edited:

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
is it a grindfest like every other korean mmo?

It takes some time, but its not a grind fest, I play maybe a hour a day and got to level 23 in a week. The questing in the game is same old MMO, pretty boring in that regards so its easy to level.

If you are not into PvP, this game is not for you though.

tuco404

Jul 10, 2011

I imagine they'll use the 1.2 version for a few months then once they need a boost and finish the translations they'll put out the 1.7 version.

In KR many of the changes in 1.2 basically killed the game for the reasons you've stated. 1.7 alleviated a lot of that with a few features. I wouldn't expect any changes to occur in the next couple months sadly, which sucks because the archeum bugs and some of the marketplace items are really frustrating.

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
I've played in all the beta weekends and the open beta last week and I'm looking forward to release. It's a great game, and a breath of fresh air in the MMO realm.

I agree the archeum drop rates are a problem for the crafting system. But it sounds like Trion recognizes the issue and is working with the developer to fix it.

I don't agree that labor potions are particularly game breaking. Yes it sounds a little P2Win'ish to sell them in the cash shop but having extra labor doesn't really = winning in my opinion. Sure a big spender could level up his crafting skill faster but he still has to farm/mine/gather all the materials to make stuff, and most of the good materials are pretty hard to get.

Labor pots also allow Trion to make money that would otherwise be going to gold farming companies. Players who want to "buy gold" can get labor potions from the store and sell them on the Auction House.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
So I looked into this game today and there seems to be a lot of complaining going on amongst the players. People are saying Trion did go to a pay to win set up now. Something about the crystals not dropping in mobs and in game much anymore but you can buy them in the store for money. The money goes straight to Trion. You can buy as much as you need or want. Players have to buy the crystals or go without looks like. People are saying that is pretty much the only place you can get the crystals now. Not a good sign if you ask me. I liked the look of the characters in this game but the grumblings are putting me off of it. I think I'll pass on this one.

damocles

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I am quite interested in this game and even tried to buy a Founder's pack. But, like a lot of other people, there are issues with Glyph and I couldn't do so. Customer support is terrible (we will respond to you in 4-5 days...)

If a game cant even take money from a willing customer it doesn't bode well for its readiness for release.

I am also a bit concerned by all the stories of people being hacked. I'll revisit it in a while to see how it is doing but giving it a miss for now.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I am quite interested in this game and even tried to buy a Founder's pack. But, like a lot of other people, there are issues with Glyph and I couldn't do so. Customer support is terrible (we will respond to you in 4-5 days...)

If a game cant even take money from a willing customer it doesn't bode well for its readiness for release.

I am also a bit concerned by all the stories of people being hacked. I'll revisit it in a while to see how it is doing but giving it a miss for now.

Worked for me but it did take a while, finally worked through the Glyph interface...

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
One friend of mine has been riding pretty high on this game for a while. I might give it a try if there's a free option/trial at some point but I'm really not in the market for a MMO.

Punter

Jul 21, 2006
It is free to play but you cannot own land without paying. A lot of people won't own land anyway if you believe the official forums. Posters alleging most of the land was claimed early on day one of head start. Hopefully in a couple weeks the power-leveling folk will be bored enough to quit the game opening land for others.