Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Cool; I used to freaking love Gauntlet.

KT

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Love that game, dropped many quarters into in then played a bunch when you could get it on console.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Okay, that looks friggin awesome. Definitely a four-pack buy. My and my two sons are going to have some fun.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
meh

I think the modern HackNslash has kinda killed the old style. But I suspect this will find users who became tired of Get Medieval a while back.

cleggholdfast

Oct 30, 2012
meh

I think the modern HackNslash has kinda killed the old style. But I suspect this will find users who became tired of Get Medieval a while back.
Haha, good to see someone else remembers Get Medieval. That and Claw (Captain Claw) by Monolith were great throwback games at the time. Now we are throwing it back again! This new Gauntlet looks great.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Is it just me, or is this what Diablo 3 should have been... :D

this is exactly what i thought when i started viewing the gameplay, lol.

Also, this woulda been super duper cool if it was the original 8 bit with online multiplayer :)

i loved playing that original as well as gauntlet for n64

angminas

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2006
Oh my.

I always used to play the Valkyrie, but in this one I'm thinking Warrior.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
loved gauntlet. I think I rented it several times for the NES, and it ate up several quarters in the arcade.

I still recall a random password that worked for NES, just putting in phrases that actually worked: Poo Poo Pee. (WE WERE 9 YEARS OLD!). Anyway, that sent you to level 50 something with an elf. :D

CRV

Apr 8, 2014
I played all the series. Can't wait, hopefully it's controller compatible and has same screen co-op play.

Mar 11, 2004
I saw this a little while ago, surprised it just now got a thread. It looks...I'm not sure. Not bad, but I don't know that it looks that enticing either. The key point is the co-op though, and I'm glad to see they seemed to emphasize that as I think that's basically a requirement for hack 'n slash. We'll see how it turns out, could be good, although it kinda looks like the modern hack 'n slash, which I think needs a good kick in the pants and for someone to do something really interesting with it. I feel like the whole genre is ok (I'd even be willing to admit it might be a relative silver age for it as there's several solid games), but it could just use some real innovation. I don't think it would even take that much either as there's several ways they could achieve it (some really great analog control would go a long way to upping the involvement in the gameplay).

Speaking of hack 'n slash memories, did anyone else play the Hunter The Reckoning games? Those were decent and had more character than the glut of zombie shooters that popped up on like Xbox Live.

loved gauntlet. I think I rented it several times for the NES, and it ate up several quarters in the arcade.

I still recall a random password that worked for NES, just putting in phrases that actually worked: Poo Poo Pee. (WE WERE 9 YEARS OLD!). Anyway, that sent you to level 50 something with an elf. :D

I remember having the 4 player splitter and me and a couple of friends playing it on the NES when we were like 6. I have this really vivid memory of it. "____ needs food badly" was even awesome back then.

Gauntlet Legends didn't do the trick?

We also played that on N64 (same friends, a couple of others too). I believe it was supposed to be a mediocre port of the Arcade version but we still had a blast playing it co-op.