Arc Flashlights is back :Q

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
Originally posted by: mobobuff
Originally posted by: Eli
As long as people are still stupid enough to spend more than $50 on a flashlight, they should be fine.
n00b.

Don't make me give you a massive concussion with this huge ass ugly Maglite.

That's about all stock mags are good for.

My MiniMag sized SureFire puts out more than a 6 cell mag (120 vs 106 lumens).

Viper GTS

Yeah, I suppose that's impressive... but how much did it cost? And are lumens kinda like MHz, more doesn't necessarily mean better?
No, lumens are not like MHz.

It's a direct measurment of light output.

MHz is not a direct measurment of computational power.

Well yeah, it's a direct measurement of light output... but does it define as well as a non-LED flashlight would? Does it show colors as accurately as a non-LED would? Are shadow-puppets warm cheery and inviting, or cold and bitter :(?

I guess I'll just stick with this little guy for my LED needs. He cost about $7 IIRC. A nice spread but it doesn't focus very well. I suppose if I actually had the cash to blow, I'd splurge for a high-quality LED flashlight like the SureFire, just to say I have one. But what I'd really like is one of those high-powered green laser pointers. Talk about throwing power :Q.

The really high output lights are not LED's, my Surefire is not.

Surefire does have some LED lights but for sheer output the non LED are far brighter. Unfortunately they eat batteries like candy.

And yes a green laser would be damn entertaining. Down to $100 on ThinkGeek IIRC.

Viper GTS

Are they incandescent then? Some type of xenon?

I think a lot of my hesitance towards these high-end flashlights is that I'm so used to impure light, yellowish light like lightbulbs, the sun, regular flashlights... etc.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo
Originally posted by: Ikonomi
I honestly think color reproduction is much better with a good bin Luxeon as compared to an incan. My XO3 in particular has the purest white LED I've ever used. As manufacturing progresses, Luxeon Is and IIIs are getting whiter and whiter, with less blue, yellow, and cat urine green.

Of course, if you're looking for pure white, the Nichias in the Arc AAA are the wrong place to look.

Lumens are lumens, but that output could be in the form of long throw or a wide flood, depending on the flashlight. Which is better depends on what you're doing with the light. There are times when I'd prefer a wide flood with less total output to a long distance spotlight with more, but I'd probably be even happier with more lumens in that flood beam.

That's true, although you won't find a Luxeon based light in the size of an Arc, which is the main reason I want it.

What a comparable (in terms of price and size) Luxeon based light>

ARC had their LS, which ran off of one CR123.

Hopefully ARC intends to resurrect that as well.

It's shorter & fatter, don't recall the price.

Viper GTS

Arc is going to end up emptying my wallet :p

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Well yeah, it's a direct measurement of light output... but does it define as well as a non-LED flashlight would? Does it show colors as accurately as a non-LED would? Are shadow-puppets warm cheery and inviting, or cold and bitter :(?

I guess I'll just stick with this little guy for my LED needs. He cost about $7 IIRC. A nice spread but it doesn't focus very well. I suppose if I actually had the cash to blow, I'd splurge for a high-quality LED flashlight like the SureFire, just to say I have one. But what I'd really like is one of those high-powered green laser pointers. Talk about throwing power :Q.
If anything, true white LED flashlights have better color rendering ability than regular incandescent bulb flashlights.

I think a lot of my hesitance towards these high-end flashlights is that I'm so used to impure light, yellowish light like lightbulbs, the sun, regular flashlights... etc.
Err... Sunlight is what everything else is based on...

Noon sunlight is pure white.. 5000 - 6500ºK.

I've also been trying to buy only "Daylight" compact fluorescents. Usually 5500ºK.

The difference is night and day..... Incandescent bulbs just look like sh!t.

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004

If anything, true white LED flashlights have better color rendering ability than regular incandescent bulb flashlights.

Err... Sunlight is what everything else is based on...

Noon sunlight is pure white.. 5000 - 6500ºK.

I've also been trying to buy only "Daylight" compact fluorescents. Usually 5500ºK.

The difference is night and day..... Incandescent bulbs just look like sh!t.

Oh, my bad... I'm never outside at noon. :)

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Way to go, Peter Gransee! (I hope I spelled that right.)

And Fvck you, MagLite, for suing him and ruining his business--what gives you the exclusive right to make an aluminum AAA keychain light? Your Mag solitaire is useless after like 5 minutes of battery time, but the Arc AAA is good for 3-5 hours. Fvck any company with the "litigate, don't innovate" business model. (BTW, I do like my Mag Charger, but only because I paid $20 instead of $80-100 for it--and it's your newest model flashlight--now about 10 years old.)

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
anybody who pays 40 bucks for a triple a flashlight is nuts

Dessert Tears

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2005
Can most high-end LED flashlights adjust flood/focus like the Maglites? Also, what's the difference between a candella (candela?) and a lumen?
I didn't see these questions answered yet.

1) Typically not, but a parabolic reflector (Mag) really only has 1 point of focus, it's out of focus the rest of the time. Most high-end flashlights have reflectors/optics chosen for the proper balance of hotspot and spill, so you sort of have 2 useful areas of the beam, but you usually can't adjust on-the-fly.

2) candela => luminous intensity (light output/area), lumen => total output; I don't know the conversion factors.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
anybody else want to point out some other "high end flashlights"

Otaking

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2000
What kind of battery life do y'all get on one of these things? I really want to invest in an Arc or Surefire. They all look so good. :confused:

My cheapie LED from Fry's works OK, but that's the only flashlight I have, albeit I haven't changed the battery on that thing for a few years now. :)

Dessert Tears

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2005
http://www.lumileds.com/pdfs/AB15.PDF Page 3, graph labeled "WHITE"; I believe the dip around 490nm is red-orange. I would be interested if anyone could find a similar graph for various incandescents.

I briefly read into CRI measurements a while back, but I don't remember much, except that only exceptional incandescents, fluorescents, and true sunlight (i.e. no LEDs) get very good (high?) ratings.

White Luxeons are exceptional at making white walls look white instead of yellowish.

Dessert Tears

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2005
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis
anybody else want to point out some other "high end flashlights"
As of 6 months ago:
DSpeck Fire~Fly II - not really "high end", but a nice little light
McGizmo Aleph series
Mr. Bulk VIP, LionHeart
SureFire A2, E2e

I've heard of HDS, but I have no specific experience, and this is an Arc thread.

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Otaking
What kind of battery life do y'all get on one of these things? I really want to invest in an Arc or Surefire. They all look so good. :confused:

My cheapie LED from Fry's works OK, but that's the only flashlight I have, albeit I haven't changed the battery on that thing for a few years now. :)

No idea on the Surefire.. but for my Arc AAA, I only changed the cell after 3 months. If you run it consecutively, it will run at full brightness for about 5 hours, and then becomes dim for the next god knows how many hours

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
after some research, couldn't resist anymore. I just placed an order for ARC-AAA premium edition. well, I need a keychain light exactly like this one.

Minjin

Platinum Member
Jan 18, 2003
Actually, ARC doesn't exist as a company any more. The scenario that happened is kind of like if Bentley went out of business and some other company bought their brand name to capitalize on the hordes of loyal followers. ARC Flashlight is just a brand thats being made by another company (MTD), now. PG appears to be one of their engineers and the main PublicRelations/Figurehead guy. He's not running the show any more (which is probably a good thing).

Nit picky? Maybe, but its worth noting. Especially for a flashlight thats supposed to have a lifetime warranty and has gone out of business once now...

As for flashlights being worth this kind of money, they are tools. Some people think their $5 chinese made toolset is enough. Others have hundreds and hundreds (if not thousands) into Craftsman, SnapOn, Mac, and SK/Facom items. Tools make life easier and save time and money down the road. When it comes to flashlights, the majority have simply never experienced a quality tool and how much more value you get from them.

Mark