Aquarium Question

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
I have about a 20-25 gallon aquarium, not exactly sure since its from quite some time back, that has been running for about 2 weeks with 3 "starter" fish. Well, today I noticed a really small snail in there too. What is this from? I do have 3 small live plants, but I haven't seen it till today. Is it possibly something from those plants or could it have formed somehow else?

MrAwesome

Aug 31, 2003
Snails are known to spontaneously spawn from nothing. Kinda like ugly children who nobody wants to claim.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: AgaBooga
Thanks xchangx and DAWeinG :D

NutBucket, why no aquarium?

I've had the worst damned luck with aquariums. Every single one I've had has leaked. I've already got a nice stain on top of my dresser from it (luckily its covered up by lots of stuff 'n junk). So I'm a bit weary about buying another one. Right now I kinda want to get a pond going in the backyard and get some koi in there. At least if it leaks it won't ruin more furniture:)

sharkeeper

Lifer
Jan 13, 2001
I've had the worst damned luck with aquariums. Every single one I've had has leaked. I've already got a nice stain on top of my dresser from it (luckily its covered up by lots of stuff 'n junk). So I'm a bit weary about buying another one. Right now I kinda want to get a pond going in the backyard and get some koi in there. At least if it leaks it won't ruin more furniture

Purchase a proper stand designed to support the aquarium and make sure it's level. I've had glass tanks from 2 1/2 through 750 gallons and never had a leak outside of a bulkhead issue which only applies to large, drilled tanks.

For larger tanks, acrylic is desired.

As for the original question, be on the lookout for more snails. They can quickly overrun a small aquarium.

Cheers!

TofBnT

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2003
Snails can be carried in in the water for the fish, get him out fast it only takes one to reproduce hundreds.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: TofBnT
Snails can be carried in in the water for the fish, get him out fast it only takes one to reproduce hundreds.

Yeah. Get that sucker out immediately.

They will spawn and you will have a tank filled with them. Its pretty nasty once it happens too. Your glass will be covered in slimy snail eggs.

BTW: I still have a 70 gallon tank and stand available free in Northern NJ if anyone wants it.

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
From my understanding, aquarium snails need a mate to reproduce.

I have one in my tank , he's a handy clean up crew.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Doggiedog

Yeah. Get that sucker out immediately.

They will spawn and you will have a tank filled with them. Its pretty nasty once it happens too. Your glass will be covered in slimy snail eggs.

BTW: I still have a 70 gallon tank and stand available free in Northern NJ if anyone wants it.
You're in Fort Lee? I'm interested! Would you mind posting the dimensions? Pics? :D

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Azraele

They are hermephroditic. They can and will reproduce alone.

I take it you have a larger snail. A tank I once had had these small snails about the size of rice. Those things were monsters. I was always squishing them against the glass. They left slime everywhere.

BTW, RayH has dibs on the tank and equipment.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Doggiedog
Originally posted by: Azraele

They are hermephroditic. They can and will reproduce alone.

I take it you have a larger snail. A tank I once had had these small snails about the size of rice. Those things were monsters. I was always squishing them against the glass. They left slime everywhere.

BTW, RayH has dibs on the tank and equipment.
NOOOOOO!!! :(

I call second dibs if he doesn't follow through! :)

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
NOOOOOO!!! :(

I call second dibs if he doesn't follow through! :)

Sorry, you have third dibs mgourlay has seconds.

Why does everyone want my tank now? I offered it a while ago and no one wanted it.

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
I checked a website, if this snail is an apple snail aquarium snail, it can't reproduce by itself.
In spite the fact that many snail species are hermaphrodite (being male and female at the same time) apple snails are definitely not hermaphroditic: they have separated sexes (gonochoristic) and a male and a female are needed for reproduction.
For more info about the anatomy of apple snails: take a look at the anatomy section of this site.