[April Fools] Phys-X & CUDA on ATI Cards is now possible

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Uh... maybe he's just been setting this up as the most epic april fools ever? Like, setting up for the last 2 years...

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
What a clever day to release it

i hear Nvidia is planning a joke of their own to disable it
Given that it states you have to use an older version of the PhysX runtime, I don't think Nvidia could do jack aside from a C&D which would be summarily ignored.

After all, Nvidia disabled GPU PhysX at the driver level for mixed-card setups, but that can be bypassed by rolling back the drivers.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Given that it states you have to use an older version of the PhysX runtime, I don't think Nvidia could do jack aside from a C&D which would be summarily ignored.

After all, Nvidia disabled GPU PhysX at the driver level for mixed-card setups, but that can be bypassed by rolling back the drivers.

it sound like a hack job
--if you *really* want PhysX, get a GeForce

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Well, then you want physics .. not PhysX
- why would you even *want* a proprietary Nvidia solution to run on an AMD card?
One more reason to not buy a NVIDIA graphics card? For the two games a year that use it, seems like a good idea to me.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
One more reason to not buy a NVIDIA graphics card? For the two games a year that use it, seems like a good idea to me.

OK .. let me try again.

If you hack your PC to allow a Nvidia proprietary solution to run on an AMD card with old drivers, do you really think you are getting the same experience?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
OK .. let me try again.

If you hack your PC to allow a Nvidia proprietary solution to run on an AMD card with old drivers, do you really think you are getting the same experience?

If you could hack your PC with an ATI card to allow you to get any experience of proprietary Nvidia crap at all, I ask again, why WOULDN'T you?

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
If you could hack your PC with an ATI card to allow you to get any experience of proprietary Nvidia crap at all, I ask again, why WOULDN'T you?

Because then you couldn't justify paying $100 extra dollars for buying nVidia over ATI

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

i tell you what, if this April 1 joke ever gets off the ground i will try it and compare to the real thing.

Howz' that? Fair enough?
- so, yeah;; your're right .. i'd *try* it

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
i tell you what, if this April 1 joke ever gets off the ground i will try it and compare to the real thing.

Howz' that? Fair enough?
- so, yeah;; your're right .. i'd *try* it

I'm not trying to pressure you into doing such a thing. I'm just saying for the sake of logical argument - get something for nothing? Who wouldn't?

shangshang

May 17, 2008
You do realize I was being sarcastic.

You AMD fanboy? AMD is partly financed by middle easterners some of whom could be terrorists? Oh nevermind, I'm just closeminded as you are. see I can do it too.

We're done with this line of thought.

-ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator: