Question Application install .exe files

Shin Kairi

Sep 10, 2022
Stupid question.

For years of using Windows now, every time I had to switch computers, either because I had to reset mine or because I purchased a new one, I always went online to look for my programs in order to download them again on the new system. Not only did I have to try and remember all the programs that I was using, but it was also a pain in the ass to have to go to each website and download the .exe file.

My stupid question is, could I have, all this time, just backed up or copy pasted to an external USB thumb drive or hard drive, the downloads folder where all my .exe applications are usually stored, and connected that drive to the new system and re-install everything from the folder?

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
You can copy/paste your download folder to an external drive if you want. I prefer fresh updated versions of most software I use so I download the newest versions. You could always bookmark the official sites of all the software you use and then backup your bookmarks. I've even taken screenshots of my desktop and start menu so I can remember what programs I have installed.

If I don't go to the official software site for downloads I use majorgeeks or softpedia for downloads.

Also take a look at ninite which can auto install common apps of your choosing.

Shin Kairi

Sep 10, 2022
You can copy/paste your download folder to an external drive if you want. I prefer fresh updated versions of most software I use so I download the newest versions. You could always bookmark the official sites of all the software you use and then backup your bookmarks. I've even taken screenshots of my desktop and start menu so I can remember what programs I have installed.

If I don't go to the official software site for downloads I use majorgeeks or softpedia for downloads.

Also take a look at ninite which can auto install common apps of your choosing.

Many thanks. One more thing. Is there any difference between programs in their normal program version from the site as they used to be downloaded for decades, and their more recent (since windows 8), "app" counterpart found in Windows Store? Do the programs perform exactly the same? Say VLC for example, any difference in getting it the old fashioned way vs through the windows store?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
could I have, all this time, just backed up or copy pasted to an external USB thumb drive or hard drive, the downloads folder where all my .exe applications are usually stored, and connected that drive to the new system and re-install everything from the folder?
Affirmative, cowboy.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Many thanks. One more thing. Is there any difference between programs in their normal program version from the site as they used to be downloaded for decades, and their more recent (since windows 8), "app" counterpart found in Windows Store? Do the programs perform exactly the same? Say VLC for example, any difference in getting it the old fashioned way vs through the windows store?
Good question. I honestly don't know the answer but I'm going to go with no they are not the same. I found this note below in the windows store about VLC. I would download the full normal version from their site. https://www.videolan.org/vlc/#download

VLC is the ultimate media player, ported to the Windows Universal Platform.

⚠ ⚠ Beware! This VLC does not feature all the features of the classic VLC! It does not support DVD or Blurays! Use the desktop version instead! ⚠⚠

VLC media player is a portable, free and open-source, cross-platform media player and streaming media server written by the VideoLAN project. VLC is available for all operating system, desktop, mobiles or TVs.

VLC media player supports virtually all video and audio formats, including subtitles, rare file formats and streaming protocols.