Question application configuration files

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
Are application configuration files and the parameters contained in them subject to change by the software applications that use them OR are they "supposed to be" basically objects which are READ by the applications for use in their executions, i.e. are they NORMALLY not written to by and during the execution of the applications.

The reason I am asking this is because back in the day when I was still working (and actually I still see this occur occasionally when running application today) we would be using applications like Microsoft Office Suite to do our daily task and once the applications were installed and configured like we wanted them to function, sometimes just out of the CLEAR BLUE (no intervention by the user), certain parameters/settings in the Office Suite software would be found to have changed settings and I don't think this was from any outside influence, hacking, etc.

Am trying to understand how this software misbehavior is possible.

Thanks.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You talking about INI files? These were/are definitely both READ and WRITE, while the application is OPEN. The app may LOCK those files, so that they cannot be modified by an OUTSIDE program or user, while the program is RUNNING. Hence the need to close applications, before using 3rd-party "Tweak" programs.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Nowadays most application read/write settings using Windows Registry, ini files have been used less and less.

The problem that settings will be changed from what you set, the reason most likely is software developers just did not read write those settings correctly, either in application startup or shutting down, the software probably will use some settings that's written in the code, not reading settings that's been set in registry, or forgot to write settings back to registry when software closes.

Software are designed by human, and software always have bugs, that's life.

==

Some apps use xml files now, they don't use Windows registry or ini files, it all depends on software developers.

Last edited:
Reactions: VirtualLarry

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
The last line of your reply also reflects my thinking, software is being asked to do to much and not enough time is being taken to "proof test it" !!!

Me thinks that the further into the future we go, software will get less and less dependable.

Thanks.