Apples - Which are the best

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Just bought some Pink Lady's, they are pretty good probably my second favourite now. Pricewise the pink lady's where a penny more than the honeycrisps (Organic 20c)

1.Honeycrisp
2.Pink Lady
3.Fuji

us3rnotfound

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
I just get the gala or Fuji at Kroger, whichever is on sale. Never red delicious nor Granny Smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I just get the gala or Fuji at Kroger, whichever is on sale. Never red delicious nor Granny Smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Red Delicious I can see as they are meh, but you even had a Granny Smith before? They one of the best Apples around.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Are there local papayas in California or are they all imported? Imported tropical fruits suck.
I am pretty sure they don't grow papayas in CA. Imported tropical fruits is the only way we get them: Bananas, mangoes, papayas, pineapples (my local largish indy supermarket-produce emporium stocks others, many others, but I ignore that stuff). I don't care for most of the mangoes for sale here, the pineapples aren't as good as the ones I used to pick for free in Hawaii, but some are pretty good. Used to get great free mangoes there too, they just fell to the ground from huge wild trees. I don't buy papayas. I'm not all that high on them. I ALWAYS have eatable bananas in the kitchen. I think they are generally grown in Ecuador. Even a very green banana will usually ripen pretty well, just takes longer. Warmth helps, and the gas they give off, it helps the process, so having several together speeds up ripening (e.g. in a bowl or even a bag). And remove the tape they put over the ends, that's to prevent that gas from exiting, effectively slowing the ripening process... or leave it on, if you want them to ripen more slowly.

Last edited: