applebred, not to shabby

touchmyichi

Golden Member
May 26, 2002
I know that a lot of you are going to come in here saying that a 1700+ is a much better value, but think about it. For 43 bucks you get a chip that has been reporting oc's at 2.2-2.3 ghz. When you get a 1700+, most of the time u get a DUT3C, which cannot do anywhere near that. Add that to the fact that it can be modded to an xp and you got yourselves another hot oc'er. I don't know about you guys, but I'm surprised this chip hasn't really gotten many buyers yet. C'mon, does anyone in the forums here want to give it a shot? (C'mon shimmy, do u hear your calling :p)

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
The chip is targeted at third world countries, but did you say modded to an XP? Please elaborate...

touchmyichi

Golden Member
May 26, 2002
The crazy guys who started the 9500 non pro to 9700 mod were able to get it the cache to be modded to 256.

Giscardo

May 31, 2000
Info on how to mod an applebred Duron into an XP with 256K of cache can be found here. It's a matter of connecting a bridge on the cpu packaging, but the success rate still seems to be un-guaranteed, much like modding a 9500np Radeon. But this may change once we get more people trying. Seems silly to do though, considering the XP processor is only about 20$ more.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
how high do the applebreds go?

i got my 1800 + ecs m/b over a month ago from frys for 59 total. it hit 2.4ghz on very quiet air. it wasn't a dutc even back then. then again it was retail chip. hotdeals threads reported most everyone got the good stepping from frys. should still be the same. retail chip = sealed in see through container, can see stepping through plasic.

the applebred would have to be awesome o/c'er and much cheaper for it to compete considering how cheap xp combos are here.