Apple Watch - Case/Protection, replacement band?

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
Picked up an Apple watch 3rd gen. Looking to bling it up a little bit. Something that looks a little more elegant and at home in the corporate boardroom vs. the cheap silicone band/Casio IronMan motif it comes with.

Full case with screen protection would be a plus. I can see the rounded edges of the glass getting scuffed up pretty easily.

Everything I've found on Amazon is about a 1-2* rating. Figured I'd see what ideas the AT community could recommend?

Thanks!
-JR

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Did you get the aluminum or steel version?
For bands, go to Best Buy, Target, Walmart or wherever and pick ones you like. I have a couple of legit Apple bands and a couple of knockoffs. The Apple bands are much nicer, but the knockoffs are SO much cheaper. Apple charges $150 for their milanese loop, and it is REALLY nice. But you can get a knock off that's almost as good for 1/5th the cost. Same goes for all of the bands. 1/4-1/5th the cost of Apple's but almost as nice.

I have no recommendations for case/screen protectors. I have the stainless steel watch which has a sapphire display, and is therefore hardier than the aluminum's ion-x display.

Reactions: JoLLyRoGer

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
Did you get the aluminum or steel version?
For bands, go to Best Buy, Target, Walmart or wherever and pick ones you like. I have a couple of legit Apple bands and a couple of knockoffs. The Apple bands are much nicer, but the knockoffs are SO much cheaper. Apple charges $150 for their milanese loop, and it is REALLY nice. But you can get a knock off that's almost as good for 1/5th the cost. Same goes for all of the bands. 1/4-1/5th the cost of Apple's but almost as nice.

I have no recommendations for case/screen protectors. I have the stainless steel watch which has a sapphire display, and is therefore hardier than the aluminum's ion-x display.

I have the aluminum apparently. It says ion-x so must be.

Thanks for the info!

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Picked up an Apple watch 3rd gen. Looking to bling it up a little bit. Something that looks a little more elegant and at home in the corporate boardroom vs. the cheap silicone band/Casio IronMan motif it comes with.

Full case with screen protection would be a plus. I can see the rounded edges of the glass getting scuffed up pretty easily.

Everything I've found on Amazon is about a 1-2* rating. Figured I'd see what ideas the AT community could recommend?

Thanks!
-JR

I'd skip the case. Virtually every Apple Watch case I've seen is the opposite of elegant, like adding a bug deflector to a Bentley -- they're meant to be used 'naked.' See if you can get a screen protector you can apply without too much trouble if you're really concerned, although I've had Apple Watches since the original and haven't had a problem just by being careful (i.e. don't bang it against walls or go raving with it).

For bands, I'd be tempted to go with Pad & Quill. They're not cheap, but they're considerably cheaper than Apple's and, importantly, can be had with metal that matches the Watch you have.

I wouldn't knock the Sport Band too much -- it's really well designed and harkens back to Ikepod's classic band (mainly because Ikepod creator Marc Newson helped design it). It's just not what you'd call posh.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Can't imagine why you would need a case unless you are doing extreme sports with it. My wife has worn it past year during her job as a nurse, still looks perfect.

She just bought several cheap bands off ebay, they look fine though she just needs function over fashion so the sport style bands is all she uses.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Amazon has lots of nice, affordable bands for the Apple Watch. I personally like the Milanese loop (matching the watch color) as well as a leather band, lighter brown if it's the silver watch, and darker if it's the space gray one.

You don't need a case, it would make your watch look very un-stylish which defeats the point of buying a nicer band for it.