Apple September event

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Watch live: (1pm EST)

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2018/

Gizmodo live blog:

https://gizmodo.com/our-apple-iphone-event-liveblog-will-be-right-here-1828972409

Wish it had the same fanfare as it did back in the Jobs days! I miss that. Apple's own website already leaked the new stuff:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/09/12/apple-website-leak-iphone-xs-iphone-xr/

1. iPhone XS
2. iPhone XS Max
3. iPhone XR

Looks like the iWatch (yeah and I say Jif too, get over it lol) is in for some size upgrades as well:

https://gizmodo.com/here-are-some-last-minute-leaks-ahead-of-apples-big-eve-1828993204

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Apple Watch Series 4:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/09/12/apple-watch-series-4/
  • A next-gen accelerometer system is not only much more precise but also smart enough to detect hard falls -- it'll offer an emergency call if it thinks you've tumbled
  • This is the first over-the-counter, FDA-approved device with a built-in electrocardiogram sensor. Put your finger on the crown to create a closed circuit (the sensor is on the bottom of the case) and the watch will give you an ECG that could identify heart conditions.
  • 40mm and 44mm models packing larger displays (35 percent and 32 percent, respectively) that run much closer to the case edge.
  • Series 4 will still have the same claimed 18-hour battery life, Apple said, but you now have six-hour longevity for outdoor workouts.
  • Pre-orders start September 14th with prices of $399 for GPS models and $499 for LTE-equipped models. They'll arrive on September 21st. And if that's too rich for your blood, don't worry: Series 3 is sticking around at a lower $279 price.

eikelbijter

Aug 27, 2009
Just read a couple of dozen comments on MacRumors.com: endless bickering about how 'ridiculously' expensive all the new I(diot)Phones are! It's just beyond hilarious! America is getting more and more pathetic with every new cycle..

R

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Just read a couple of dozen comments on MacRumors.com: endless bickering about how 'ridiculously' expensive all the new I(diot)Phones are! It's just beyond hilarious! America is getting more and more pathetic with every new cycle..

R

There were some rather cruel rumors that Apple was going to drop the price of the 5.8 OLED phones by $100. I hate to admit that I had my hopes up for that.

The phone I want, 5.8 inch 512MB is $1349. Before Tax. Before Apple Care.

Thirteen
Hundred
Dollars

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
$1,450 for a 6.5" 512GB iPhone Xs Max...dang! I've owned cars cheaper than that! :D

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The only part that annoys me is that the bottom tier is still 64GB. I'm one of those people that likes music on their phone, and my music takes up about 30GB. Including apps, photos and videos, that could quickly fill up the 20-something GB that's remaining (including base-10 to base-2 conversion and OS space). With that, 64GB is just a bit too small, but 128GB is absolutely fine. However, it goes from 64GB to 256GB, and I really don't need that much space.

Although, looking at my phone, it says that I'm using 101.9GB, so I either need to clear some things out, or maybe I need more. :p

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
iPhone "excess" is how I read "XS" and that is why I was sure they won't name it such. Heh

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
My mother needs a new phone and she liked the iphone she has currently (it's a 6s)so maybe the XR will be good for her upgrade this year. I already have an X and aside from a bigger screen I don't see any significant upgrade for me. I do like the XS Max but why did they ditch the all black color option? I may actually get the new Apple Watch though. Never owned a smart watch but I think I could find some of its features pretty useful.

So I think I'll sit on my X for another year and try to grab an XR for my mom's upgrade.

Last edited:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
There were some rather cruel rumors that Apple was going to drop the price of the 5.8 OLED phones by $100. I hate to admit that I had my hopes up for that.

The phone I want, 5.8 inch 512MB is $1349. Before Tax. Before Apple Care.

Thirteen
Hundred
Dollars

Trillion dollar valuations ain't for nothin

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Trillion dollar valuations ain't for nothin

I was thinking they would drop the price $100, and that the memory upgrade would be $100, and that the base would be 128mb, and there would be a single upgrade to 512mb for $100.

So, $1,000 for a 5.8 inch with 512mb, instead of $1,350.

In other news, I'm the dumbest motherfucker alive.

Reactions: Eug and Ns1

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
iPhone "excess" is how I read "XS" and that is why I was sure they won't name it such. Heh

Yeah, when I saw that it was called the iPhone XS, I was thinking the same thing. XS, as in "iPhone eXcessively expenSive". The big screen model maxed out on storage costs what... $1,500? They are smoking crack if they think I'm spending much on a phone.

The XR seems more reasonably priced, hence the iPhone X Reasonable edition :)

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
@Blackjack200 There was a rumor yesterday that the XS would start at $900 so you weren't completely delusional. I didn't really believe the rumor, as the $999+ iPhone X has sold very well. Thinking Apple would be reasonable about upgraded storage is pretty optimistic. :p

They aren't going to discontinue any of the older models? Isn't it time to put the two year old iPhone 7 out to pasture?
Not really, they need older models to hit lower price points. Also, it aids their economies of scale. They've been ordering iPhone 7 components for a while so higher volume helps their gross margin. The alternative would be to not have semi-affordable products, have higher component costs, and concede even more market share to Android. None of these are in Apple's favor. Finally, smartphone advancement is leveling off, so 2 year old devices with excellent OS support are quite future proof. Even though I knew the dated iPhone SE was being discontinued soon, I recently wanted to buy one as a spare phone (there have been some ridiculously cheap deals on them) for my dad.

And yes, today they did discontinue the SE and 6s models which share the same SoC (but are different in other ways).

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Yeah, I was really hoping for a new iPhone SE type model, since I liked the form factor on it. The XR looks like a good replacement for my iPhone 6, though.

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Glad I got my 8. Last of its breed with touchID. I have no idea what I’ll do in 3-5 years when I replace it.

Tbh, this presentation was a huge nothingburger in my mind. I didn’t even realize it happened until I got home after work and was reading the news. It’s sad what apple has become in the innovation department...everyone expects a pitiful incremental upgrade and higher price, and apple did not disappoint in that respect. Yeah, yeah, AAPL...wutever

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Glad I got my 8. Last of its breed with touchID. I have no idea what I’ll do in 3-5 years when I replace it.

Tbh, this presentation was a huge nothingburger in my mind. I didn’t even realize it happened until I got home after work and was reading the news. It’s sad what apple has become in the innovation department...everyone expects a pitiful incremental upgrade and higher price, and apple did not disappoint in that respect. Yeah, yeah, AAPL...wutever

Yeah I wasn’t following and didn’t know the event was today. I expected an Apple event in September but this one wasn’t really big in terms of new product. Phone development has pretty much plateaued to the point where OS and software support is more important than pure specs. Most phones from the past couple years have plenty of life left as long as you have continued OS support for them. This is a very insignificant upgrade from the iPhone X but for those with an older model it can be a huge step up. Obviously the cost is a factor but with many people making monthly payments on a device or part of the iPhone forever program or something similar the cost may not be something many people think about.

baydude

Sep 13, 2011
I have the iPhone X and T-mobile’s Jump on demand plan. Should I upgrade to the XS?

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
I have a 6S. None of the new phones thrill me, especially the price. If I need a new phone, I'll get an 8; more than good enough for my needs. If I want to get back into photography, I'll buy a DSLR.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
How can apple claim the XR as having the largest LCD in the industry?