Apple September 9th event

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
If you flip through the Geekbench scores, the 6S is about as fast as base model MacBook Retina. Granted that's at stock (non-turbo) clocks, but it's still impressive. In the last 5 years, the iPhone has grown in power by a magnitude of 20 times. Mobile right now is sort of where desktop computing was in the 1990s. Blink and it's obsolete.

I don't think it will entirely replace desktops or laptops in the foreseeable future. Those systems are far better at performance tasks (pro video, CAD) and have fewer compromises. For day-to-day use though, I think we're at the point now where mobile can comfortably replace those devices.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
And if you don't have unused space?
Then (only then) it would have to revert to the current-standard behavior.

It does. In RAM.
Insufficient to keep doing it the current way. It's a serious problem that causes you to lose work. It's simply unacceptable on iPhone 5s/6/6-Plus, iPad mini 2/3, iPad Air 1, and iPod touch 6th gen.

Anyway, it's much less common with Purify Blocker installed in iOS 9. Damn bloated ads...I can't stand thinking about how long I was forced to endure the bullshit caused by them.

Last edited:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I just got a call while responding to an upset eBay buyer. I only saw the call screen for a moment before it got reduced to a banner and the app reloaded. I watched as the message I was typing slid off the screen and the screen behind it faded to white and back to the start screen. I had no reason to stay in the app now so I hit the banner and answered the call. I switched back to the eBay app during the call and went back to messages and hit "Reply" to see if it would offer the option to recover a draft. It didn't. When the caller hung up it did the exact same thing (reply slid off, fade to white and back to the main page).

Blame it on eBay all you want, Rakhelion, but Apple is ultimately responsible for ensuring consistent and predictable multitasking behavior. Why can't an iPhone handle being a phone and a computing device simultaneously a little more elegantly than this?!

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I just got a call while responding to an upset eBay buyer. I only saw the call screen for a moment before the it got reduced to a banner and the app reloaded. I watched as the message I was typing slid off the screen and the screen behind it faded to white and back to the start screen. I had no reason to stay in the app now so I hit the banner and answered the call. I switched back to the eBay app during the call and went back to messages and hit "Reply" to see if it would offer the option to recover a draft. It didn't. When the caller hung up it did the exact same thing (reply slid off, fade to white and back to the main page).

Blame it on eBay all you want, Rakhelion, but Apple is ultimately responsible for ensuring consistent and predictable multitasking behavior. Why can't an iPhone handle being a phone and a computing device simultaneously a little more elegantly than this?!

Why would Apple be responsible for that? Developers have access to how apps react on focus loss, initial start up, etc. If they choose not to bother saving state when you leave focus, but don't close the app, that isn't for Apple to deal with.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Why would Apple be responsible for that? Developers have access to how apps react on focus loss, initial start up, etc. If they choose not to bother saving state when you leave focus, but don't close the app, that isn't for Apple to deal with.
They approved it. They allowed it to steal focus from the incoming call screen (never seen an app do that before). They did not create or enforce program design guidelines for that contingency despite creating a walled garden that they have full control of.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002

I had a glitch with the same app today on my 6s Plus.

While in the eBay app, I could not return to the call screen. I would tap the glowing green bar, see the call screen for a split second, and get dumped right back to the eBay app. I did it repeatedly. I left the eBay app to the home screen. Only then, it allowed me to get back to the call screen.

It's up to the operating system to make sure apps can't prevent me from getting back to my call. I had some other bizarre glitches related to call management while I was in the eBay app other times today, but I can barely even begin to describe what it did. At one point, it was stuck ending call forever and I was forced to reboot my device.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
I had a glitch with the same app today on my 6s Plus.

While in the eBay app, I could not return to the call screen. I would tap the glowing green bar, see the call screen for a split second, and get dumped right back to the eBay app. I did it repeatedly. I left the eBay app to the home screen. Only then, it allowed me to get back to the call screen.

It's up to the operating system to make sure apps can't prevent me from getting back to my call. I had some other bizarre glitches related to call management while I was in the eBay app other times today, but I can barely even begin to describe what it did. At one point, it was stuck ending call forever and I was forced to reboot my device.

Is this only happening in the ebay app? While I understand your larger point, I feel like if ebay is the only app causing the trouble then clearly they're doing something very wrong as well.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Is this only happening in the ebay app? While I understand your larger point, I feel like if ebay is the only app causing the trouble then clearly they're doing something very wrong as well.

I've been having problems with the eBay app, it says I have a message, I click on it, message window remains blank, and app freezes.