Apple really has run out of ideas, hasn't it?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
There are sizeably larger batteries in all the new phones, so you should have more longevity overall. Apple definitely isn't referring to audio playback!

Yeah, that definitely appears to be the case with the tear downs that we've seen. I did hesitate quite a bit, and in the end, I did upgrade the phone. Although, as expected, I do miss 3D Touch still, and find myself consistently trying to use it.

I do like the better battery life and I haven't had a chance to try out the dark mode just yet, but I'd like to see how well that works.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I tried a few shots in low light mode, but there seems to be a lot of banding and noise.

1569333391825.png
1569333502999.png

1569333663262.png

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
h
Yeah, that definitely appears to be the case with the tear downs that we've seen. I did hesitate quite a bit, and in the end, I did upgrade the phone. Although, as expected, I do miss 3D Touch still, and find myself consistently trying to use it.

I do like the better battery life and I haven't had a chance to try out the dark mode just yet, but I'd like to see how well that works.

At first I was very unhappy with the removal of 3D touch - but to be honest the haptic touch works well enough now. The UI needs to be cleaned up a bit but I’m happy that I can just select the space bar, do a long press and get back my beloved 3D touch scroll. I’m still on a 7 plus but I have no issues now in updating to an 11

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
At first I was very unhappy with the removal of 3D touch - but to be honest the haptic touch works well enough now. The UI needs to be cleaned up a bit but I’m happy that I can just select the space bar, do a long press and get back my beloved 3D touch scroll. I’m still on a 7 plus but I have no issues now in updating to an 11

The scrolling part is fine, and I'm not too bothered by having to use it on the space bar instead of anywhere. It's really losing the ability to select that bums me out. I found the 3D Touch select mechanism to be a simple way to just delete everything in my current text box. It's also an easy way to select a bit of text to copy rather than having to deal with the screen dragging mechanism. I've caught myself trying to select everything a few times out of habit.

I'll be honest... this is the first time I've ever really had buyer's remorse over an iPhone upgrade, and I've upgraded every one since the 4S. Given that I already had an XS Max before, I'm tempted to just return the 11 Pro Max to Verizon and keep my original phone. The only other time I can recall being this hesitant over a feature change was losing the home button with its TouchID and having to use FaceID. Although, where the removal of FaceID lost the ability to easily use it on a desk (i.e. unlocking while not facing the phone), it did provide the benefit of unlocking it with gloves on.

I tried a few shots in low light mode, but there seems to be a lot of banding and noise.

I wonder if they'll be able to fix any of that with software upgrades? Supposedly, iOS 13.1 is already well underway (likely due to having to solidify an iOS 13.0 build for loading the new iPhones), and we'll probably see it in a month or two.

Reactions: JJChicken

Arx Allemand

Sep 24, 2019
Low light is nice but LED lighting has flickering that can mess up your results. This is particularly noticeable in slomo.

I like the 11 Pro Max. The camera would have looked better if the raised square part was blacked out. The lighter colored phones look like they have holes in them and some are turned off by this. The night mode countdown and real time exposure shown is nice. Samsung's night mode is basically hold and pray (and wait) until it's done!

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Just got my 11 Pro Max, and I'm loving it so far. 13.1.1 is out now for those with issues.

Feb 4, 2009
I like the os notice “check out the new maps”
Basically maps now has simple 3D outlines of major buildings, just like Nokia maps had around 2006

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I like the os notice “check out the new maps”
Basically maps now has simple 3D outlines of major buildings, just like Nokia maps had around 2006

Heh, it's more than that, but it depends on where you are. I've seen some side-by-side comparisons that showed more detailed parks and nature, among other things... basically, it's decidedly less abstract. Not as much of a go-to as Google Maps, but it's increasingly easier to use Apple Maps as the default.

Feb 4, 2009
Heh, it's more than that, but it depends on where you are. I've seen some side-by-side comparisons that showed more detailed parks and nature, among other things... basically, it's decidedly less abstract. Not as much of a go-to as Google Maps, but it's increasingly easier to use Apple Maps as the default.

Yeah it’s a definite upgrade but I saw maps very similar to them on my Nokia E61 in 2006(?)

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007

For me - the issue with Apple maps has never been the map per se. The issue is that the app is under featured and gives crappy directions. Waze has a lot more features, but it too has a tendency to send me off on a wild goose chase. That leaves google maps for me, which thankfully is pretty reliable. At least in rural NH and Maine.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I wish they would fix ios 13.1.x. All of my users are calling me bitching about all the crap that's broken in the email app and wifi disconnects. I tell them to get an android.