Apple really has run out of ideas, hasn't it?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Looking at the most recent product announcements, it really seems like they've completely run out of new ideas and are just stealing business expansion plans from other tech companies at this point.

Google and Amazon have a streaming video service? Well, we better get one of those.
Amazon has it's own credit card? We better get one of those, too.
Microsoft, Sony, and now Google have their own online gaming services? Yeah, we better get one of those as well!
Google and Microsoft have their own news aggregation services? Oh... we better get on that bandwagon.

Come on Apple, you have something like a trillion dollars of cash in the bank. You should be able to develop a self driving flying car or fully functional AI robot butler with that kind of R&D money, but instead you just copy ideas from everyone else.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Looking at the most recent product announcements, it really seems like they've completely run out of new ideas and are just stealing business expansion plans from other tech companies at this point.

Google and Amazon have a streaming video service? Well, we better get one of those.

We knew for a while Apple was dabbling in this area. It make sense since so much of what is done on an iPhone and iPad is content consumption. My issue with this is not so much that there's a new competitor, it's that there doesn't seem to be someone to fix the problem of having to subscribe to 5 different places to get the content I want.

Amazon has it's own credit card? We better get one of those, too.

Apple seems to have a credit card that is providing some innovation in terms of security.

From what I understand about Amazon's credit card, it's a fairly standard branded credit card with a few reward perks, namely 5% off Amazon purchases. Other than that, it's nothing special.

The Apple credit card on the other hand seems very security oriented. Sure, it has a few rewards perks, but no visible CC# or CVV code, and Apple's claim that it doesn't track your data (you should always read the fine print of course). No mention of whether this has a magstripe, but I would assume no. The negative is there is no Android compatibility. It's pretty much strictly Apple only as the card is closely tied to the Apple Wallet app.

Microsoft, Sony, and now Google have their own online gaming services? Yeah, we better get one of those as well!

In fairness to Apple, practically every industry is moving towards some kind of SAAS (software as a service) model at this point, or even HAAS (hardware as a service). Especially anyone that is remotely games related. MS, Sony, and Nintendo all have SAAS game subscription services.

Google and Microsoft have their own news aggregation services? Oh... we better get on that bandwagon.

Apple has had a news aggregator for a while now. It just seems like they've taken it to the next level with paid subscriptions to different magazines and news outlets. So while nothing new to Google or MS, it's also not exactly new for Apple and more of an extension of something Apple was already dabbling in.

Come on Apple, you have something like a trillion dollars of cash in the bank. You should be able to develop a self driving flying car or fully functional AI robot butler with that kind of R&D money, but instead you just copy ideas from everyone else.

Apple has rarely been on the forefront of developing new technology. I've always likened them to someone who is in the 2nd wave. They may use cutting edge tech, but they rarely develop cutting edge tech. Their best talents, at least under Steve Jobs 2.0, was always to see different technologies and integrate it into a polished product.

Overall, out of all the announcements, I'm only mildly interested in Apple TV, but I'm most interested in the new Apple credit card.

Reactions: RGN

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Doesnt affect me at all. I use every other service except what apple offers.

Reactions: Zaap

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Apple pretty much had to do something with streaming video, but I wonder if it is too late. They probably should’ve bought Netflix or Disney and been done with it.

Someone else covered their credit card - I do think the rest of the credit card industry will move in the same direction over the next couple of years.

Also as mentioned, Apple has had a News aggregator for years. News+ gives you access to 300 magazines and newspapers for $9.99/month. Personally, I think it is a pretty good deal given that there are several magazines included that I enjoy, and you can share your subscription with up to 6 people. My wife has already found stuff she likes too.

At the end of the day, Apple’s announcements on Monday were no surprise and are exactly what they had to do given that their hardware sales are flatlining. They had to get into more services. I think the one hardware device they have which will continue seeing huge growth is the Apple Watch - it is an amazing device.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I just wonder what someone like Elon Musk could do with that kind of cash in the bank. If he was the CEO of Apple, we would probably have fully self driving electric cars by the end of 2025, and flying rocket cars soon after that.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
I just wonder what someone like Elon Musk could do with that kind of cash in the bank. If he was the CEO of Apple, we would probably have fully self driving electric cars by the end of 2025, and flying rocket cars soon after that.

Well, let's wait 10 years and you'll see. I am sure Tesla will get there.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Well, let's wait 10 years and you'll see. I am sure Tesla will get there.

Or Tesla will be like Apple in a position where everyone has caught up and the hardware doesn't stand out as much as it used to. In the end, the software and services are becoming the differentiate in this space and could be in transportation. I'm not convinced that either Tesla or Apple will be the winners in that aspect, and that's coming from someone who left Android/Google and buying a model Y.

slashy16

Mar 24, 2017
I am an apple user(iphone) and yes, ever since 2 years after steve jobs died they have literally done nothing. They missed the boat on buying Netflix and Disney and should have and still could buy Tesla but, they won't because they don't think big any longer. I always thought integrating the Tesla\apple store would be a great idea.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Its funny. I've been in IT for over 30 years and when the first apple computer came out, we in the field said it would never catch on, and it pretty much never did. Im not talking social media devices, im talking computes running either windows or macos. Its still only around %10. I own many apple devices, pretty much at least one of each. I just don;t use them. I learn how they run and charge people to fix their apple products.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Its funny. I've been in IT for over 30 years and when the first apple computer came out, we in the field said it would never catch on, and it pretty much never did. Im not talking social media devices, im talking computes running either windows or macos. Its still only around %10. I own many apple devices, pretty much at least one of each. I just don;t use them. I learn how they run and charge people to fix their apple products.

For awhile (2012 to 2017), the Macbook Pro was THE laptop to have if you were a "cool" developer or DevOps guy.

I'd argue the that the latest generation of Windows 10 Ultrabooks have caught up with both performance and the "coolness" factor, though. They cost less, too.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Following Apple closely since the early 80s, they really have become the big, cynical, monopolistic (over their sphere) anti-consumer behemoth they were born to rebel against.

In the early days, they were the anti-IBM. Big blue were the bullies, lacking in imagination and attempting to brute force their control of the market. Incredible hubris and chock full of unfriendly policies, only somewhat undone by looking at the emerging PC business as a hardware arena vs a software/ecosystem one. Their licensing of MS DOS vs outright buying it was catastrophic from their side of things, but made the PC a dynamic and innovative place in an ironic twist. Later trying to recapture a proprietary control via MicroChannel and Warp was too little too late.

Apple OTOH, went from creative and often brilliant designs into ever more predictable stagnation. Worse, they've been on a downward trajectory for quality and flexibility. Soldered+glued together disposable junk in a pretty shell to sell at ludicrous prices to loyal brand acolytes.

The price for a great phone, a great laptop, it keeps falling while competitors improve in quality. Keeping people tied into their walled gardens is their passion, but they may need an eventual come to Jesus moment if their reputation degrades much more. iDevices and Macs need to be more compelling, with wider price flexibility, if they're going to weather the next major financial crisis. They always come, and while your typical 1%er may still happily buy ever increasing $1k+ phones, the average Joe and especially emerging markets customers will be quick to prioritize such expenses way down the list vs core necessities.

I'll never give up my old IIe though :)

Reactions: bigi

barbdveg

Jun 11, 2019
Buy Disney.
you are funny as hell. but i agree with you as well. your comment seriously is the best. i just died laughing at work. people really going to think me a lunatic but it is so worth the laugh. thank you my day was made!

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
My biggest gripe with Apple is how much their devices cost these days. I was recently looking to replace my aging 2010 Macbook Air, and after seeing the starting price of $1500 Canadian for the Retina Macbook Air, I laughed, and said hell no, despite there being no one around to hear me. Eventually caught a great deal on a Lenovo Flex 14 with Ryzen 3500U, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD and 1080p IPS display for a mere $570 all in price.

As much as I want to claw my eyes out when I see Apple's asking prices, I do like the iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch. I don't really care for the Android ecosystem. As nice as it is to have the latest models, I will have to accept the fact that I will have to look at last year's or refurb models to hit my price points.

Reactions: RGN

swanysto

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
My biggest gripe with Apple is how much their devices cost these days. I was recently looking to replace my aging 2010 Macbook Air, and after seeing the starting price of $1500 Canadian for the Retina Macbook Air, I laughed, and said hell no, despite there being no one around to hear me. Eventually caught a great deal on a Lenovo Flex 14 with Ryzen 3500U, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD and 1080p IPS display for a mere $570 all in price.

As much as I want to claw my eyes out when I see Apple's asking prices, I do like the iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch. I don't really care for the Android ecosystem. As nice as it is to have the latest models, I will have to accept the fact that I will have to look at last year's or refurb models to hit my price points.

That is a big part of it for me too. On the other side of the innovative coin, I am not a big fan of some of the stuff they do. I bought a 2014 macbook pro instead of a newer one not only cause of the cost, but the ports and the keyboard. I realize they are all about getting smaller and sleeker, but the 2014 model is plenty sleek enough for me, and I still have cameras that use SD cards. I don't like dongles. And am I the only one that prefers the magnetic charging port?

That being said, you would be hard pressed to find a 15" laptop with the size, power, screen, and battery life of the retina macbook pros in the form a windows laptop, even today. I know it is not as fast as some of them, but still works fantastic. I wish they would just take the 2015 macbook pro, and upgrade the processor and ram and be done with it. Maybe make the bezels a bit smaller if possible.

Reactions: Arkaign and Oyeve

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Dude, Magsafe was THE main feature I ever wished I could have from an Apple laptop lol. Trip on a cable? No problem lol.

The new Nvidia notebooks look like they'll leave the MBP permanently in the rear view in every respect.

Reactions: swanysto
Feb 25, 2011
Dude, Magsafe was THE main feature I ever wished I could have from an Apple laptop lol. Trip on a cable? No problem lol.

The new Nvidia notebooks look like they'll leave the MBP permanently in the rear view in every respect.

What model(s) exactly are you talking about? It looks like nvidia is just advertising other peoples' machines that use their GPUs?

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Following Apple closely since the early 80s, they really have become the big, cynical, monopolistic (over their sphere) anti-consumer behemoth they were born to rebel against.

In the early days, they were the anti-IBM. Big blue were the bullies, lacking in imagination and attempting to brute force their control of the market. Incredible hubris and chock full of unfriendly policies, only somewhat undone by looking at the emerging PC business as a hardware arena vs a software/ecosystem one. Their licensing of MS DOS vs outright buying it was catastrophic from their side of things, but made the PC a dynamic and innovative place in an ironic twist. Later trying to recapture a proprietary control via MicroChannel and Warp was too little too late.

Apple OTOH, went from creative and often brilliant designs into ever more predictable stagnation. Worse, they've been on a downward trajectory for quality and flexibility. Soldered+glued together disposable junk in a pretty shell to sell at ludicrous prices to loyal brand acolytes.

The price for a great phone, a great laptop, it keeps falling while competitors improve in quality. Keeping people tied into their walled gardens is their passion, but they may need an eventual come to Jesus moment if their reputation degrades much more. iDevices and Macs need to be more compelling, with wider price flexibility, if they're going to weather the next major financial crisis. They always come, and while your typical 1%er may still happily buy ever increasing $1k+ phones, the average Joe and especially emerging markets customers will be quick to prioritize such expenses way down the list vs core necessities.

I'll never give up my old IIe though :)

Show me a Windows laptop that can match my 15" MacBook Pro in terms of ecosystem (Apple Watch + iPhone), build quality and support through AppleCare+. They don't exist. They are overpriced, sure, but you can't get that whole package anywhere else. Not saying its perfect, but its as close to seamless as you can currently get. I could have bought a $500 Android and $1K laptop instead of a $1K phone and $4K laptop but it isn't the same.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
What you call an ecosystem, I call a proprietary trap. I have no problem rolling with a variety of cloud storage, music, email, and applications across a breadth of devices, none of which tie me to a particular brand of vendor.

Build quality, I suggest you to check out Louis Rossman. Apple 'build quality' is mediocre to terrible beyond aesthetics.

Apple Care+ is ok, but expensive, and not even that convenient. They'll still tell you that your data is irrecoverable unless you had it in iCloud/etc (blatantly untrue, as proven by Rossman).

Now what works for you, works for you. There's no argument against that, nor would I want you to change what is suitable for what you're used to. However, it's not even close to the only way to do things with ease, convenience, and performance.

Errorfatal

Jul 27, 2019
Thought he was losing money very fast. You think Tesla's fault is lacking capital or that Tesla is doing great?

Errorfatal

Jul 27, 2019
Show me a Windows laptop that can match my 15" MacBook Pro in terms of ecosystem (Apple Watch + iPhone), build quality and support through AppleCare+. They don't exist. They are overpriced, sure, but you can't get that whole package anywhere else. Not saying its perfect, but its as close to seamless as you can currently get. I could have bought a $500 Android and $1K laptop instead of a $1K phone and $4K laptop but it isn't the same.
What does apple watch and iphone have to do with a laptop? You require the devices to constantly sync with each other? I have Rolex and omega with galaxy 10 should I be worried?

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Speaking of running out of ideas, other than a camera and SoC update, it doesn't look like there's much to look forward to with this years iPhone release. I'm bummed that I seriously doubt that my 6S will survive until next year.