Apple: Puerto Ricans Aren't Americans (NOT what Apple said)

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Last edited by a moderator:

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Looks like time for Puerto Rican residents to file a class action suit against Apple.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
I don't see how the sensationalist title came about. Apple's response had nothing to do with "you're not an American" and everything to do with "you're living in an international address."

Puerto Ricans are Americans but their location would, by most, be considered international. Just like someone who lives in the US Virgin Islands, American Samoa, or Guam would be considered as being from an area that would be "international" even if the citizens living and being born there are American citizens.

This seems more a case of the automated address checker in Apple's database classified Puerto Rico as an international location. Just like Canada and Mexico are international locations.

Crappy move by Apple though. They shoulda just made an exception.

EarthwormJim

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2003
I don't see how the sensationalist title came about. Apple's response had nothing to do with "you're not an American" and everything to do with "you're living in an international address."

Puerto Ricans are Americans but their location would, by most, be considered international. Just like someone who lives in the US Virgin Islands, American Samoa, or Guam would be considered as being from an area that would be "international" even if the citizens living and being born there are American citizens.

This seems more a case of the automated address checker in Apple's database classified Puerto Rico as an international location. Just like Canada and Mexico are international locations.

It's not an international address according to the Post Office, and should not be considered one by any address checker. Just because it's not a state doesn't make it an international address.

Puerto Rico is even included in ATT's nationwide plans. That should be the real determinate factor right there.

Last edited:

GTSRguy

Sep 21, 2009
Thanks for the dumbass article, im getting really tired of all the slanted Apple propaganda.

How about i start posting random shit from other companies, like Verizon, Microsoft?

Last edited:

gsaldivar

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2001

Puerto Rico isn't an international address........................

gsaldivar

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2001
Thanks for the dumbass article, im getting really tired of all the slanted Apple propaganda.

How about i start posting random shit from other companies, like Verizon, Microsoft?

Sure thing.

But please explain how addresses in Puerto Rico qualify as international destinations first....

:D

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

Shit, by your standards, Hawaii must be outer space.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Apple actually has a comprehensive list of people they don't consider Americans on their website ( http://store.apple.com/us/help/shipping_delivery ) :

American Samoa
Armed Forces Africa
Armed Forces Americas
Armed Forces Canada
Armed Forces Europe
Armed Forces Middle East
Armed Forces Pacific
Guam
Northern Mariana Islands
Palau
Puerto Rico
U.S. Virgin Islands

Why doesn't Apple care about people in the military?

Last edited:

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
705_image_10.jpg

APPLE, OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Not by the US Post Office...............

Understood but some shipping companies do list all US territories outside of the 50 states as international.

My beef was with the article somehow making the stupid claim that Apple is claiming Peurto Ricans are not Americans.

No need to reply twice to the same comment in different posts.

Sure thing.

But please explain how addresses in Puerto Rico qualify as international destinations first....

:D

It is not officially part of 50 states that make up the United States of America. It's not attached to the lower 48 states. Which is probably why UPS and FEDEX classify those destinations as international.

Shit, by your standards, Hawaii must be outer space.

Yes, Hawaii is in outer space. As are the brains of a lot of people.

Make a constructive comment or not at all. No need to be a jerk.

Apple actually has a comprehensive list of people they don't consider Americans on their website ...

Why doesn't Apple care about people in the military?

Invalid link so I can't see what the wording is.

My problem is where does Apple claim those people are not Americans? They are only claiming that those addresses are considered international. I could live in China and even though I'm an American citizen they won't ship to me. Not because I'm not American. I am. But because I'm shipping to an address in China. Now, the fuzzy part is that Peurto Rico is a US territory but some companies consider them as being part of an international address.

Ask FEDEX or UPS if the US Virgin Islands or Peurto Rico are international addresses. Yes, I understand what many are saying but there's no clear cut standard on what is an international address or not.

Not shipping to the military is f*ed up. I have relatives in the military.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
can u imagine what buffy and chet fagpack tourst wuld think if some old san juan subhuman woz using the same phone as them

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Any bets on how long before Apple gives in and starts treating their iPhone 4 users in PR like actual customers?

I'm betting 3 days.

It is not officially part of 50 states that make up the United States of America. It's not attached to the lower 48 states. Which is probably why UPS and FEDEX classify those destinations as international.
Quick question: is the UK part of the USA or would it be classified as international?

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/34519/apple-free-bumpers-now-uk

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Quick question: is the UK part of the USA or would it be classified as international?

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/34519/apple-free-bumpers-now-uk

That's very interesting. From what I understood the bumper/case plan was only for the USA. If they opened it to UK then great for the UK. In fact, I think Apple should give free bumpers with all of their iPhone 4's.

But it still doesn't change two things:

1) It is not clear cut that Puerto Rico is or isn't international. It's a grey area.

2) No one has explained to me where and how Apple is denying Puerto Ricans are Americans.

It's not clear that Apple intentionally meant to shaft Puerto Ricans. Their office probably classifies Puerto Rico as being international. A lot of companies that do business internationally have specific rules and regulations they must follow for international markets because local laws may differ.

That's one of the reason why free giveaways are usually open only to residents of the 50 states. Go look at the Anandtech giveaway rules. Holy crap. It excludes Puerto Rico. I guess Anandtech.com must hate Puerto Ricans too. They don't exclude the other US territories after all. Those damned Puerto Ricans aren't Americans in the eyes of Anandtech.com either. Boo. Hiss.

The Consumerist is by nature a sensationalist site. They do a lot of good but sometimes they go overboard. In this case, while I think Apple are being total dipwads, there is no evidence to suggest that Apple is somehow discriminating against Puerto Ricans and denying they are Americans.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I'm pretty sure Apple will sort it out, they promised cases to everyone...

At least this isn't another antenna thread...

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Apple doesn't care about brown people :p

Wait a minute, so UK and other international ppl don't get free bumpers? hahaha holy shit, international Iphone 4 users must be pissed.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Apple doesn't care about brown people :p

Wait a minute, so UK and other international ppl don't get free bumpers? hahaha holy shit, international Iphone 4 users must be pissed.

Yeah, I guess people aren't Americans in the UK either...

http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/case-program/

I guess even the title pisses me off, "American's" is a damn stupid way of saying United States citizen, and it likely pisses off the rest of the continent...