Apple moving to Qualcomm chips?

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by Bateluer, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/14/exclusive-the-future-of-the-ipad-2-iphone-5-and-apple-tv-and/

Interesting that there's an SD slot on the iPad 2, at least, on prototypes and engineering samples anyway. Should be good business for Qualcomm. Wonder if AMD regrets selling their mobile division to them? Granted, AMD was in dire financial straits then and probably wouldn't have been able to develop any of the products that Qualcomm has from the tech they acquired . . .

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Apple moving Qualcomm Forum Date
    Apple Ipad Pro Gamer \ Samsung Galaxy Tab Gamer \ Microsoft Surface Pro Gamer Mobile Devices & Gadgets Mar 1, 2017
    Does Apple have a Google Now equivalent? Mobile Devices & Gadgets Dec 16, 2016
    Class Action Lawsuit against Apple iPhone 6 Mobile Devices & Gadgets Oct 8, 2016
    If I buy an Iphone 7+ at the Apple store... Mobile Devices & Gadgets Sep 28, 2016
    Apple releases "Move to iOS" Android app. Android users' heads collectively implode. Mobile Devices & Gadgets Sep 17, 2015

3. Patranus

Patranus Diamond Member

I wonder if Apple is bringing their own chip design (or modification) to the table or using the stock chipsets Qualcomm offers.

4. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

The Engadget article makes it sound likes they're just using their radio and modem chips? I believe Apple intends to develop their own SoC, and possibly CPU architecture.

5. senseamp

senseamp Lifer

Just baseband chip, the CPU will still be Apple's. I don't know what AMD regrets, but Imageon would not have been as useful to them as it is to Qualcomm. GPU cores are integrated into SOC's now, and AMD does not have a mobile SOC business, nor the resources to start one.

6. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

The A4 is a Samsung designed SoC with a PowerVR SGX 535 GPU. Only thing Apple added were some instruction sets they acquired from Intrinsity.

7. akugami

akugami Diamond Member

Apple in recent years bought out PA Semi (specialize in power efficient PowerPC) as well as Intrinsity (specialize in power efficient ARM). I wouldn't put it past Apple to make custom ARM processors. I don't know how much IP they retain from the original PowerPC agreement with IBM and Motorola but it's not out of the question for Apple to enter into ARM CPU designs when it's such an important part of their future product lines (iPod, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV).

8. Pliablemoose

Pliablemoose Lifer

Wait, no one is freaking out about removable memory on the iPad 2?

Cats and dogs are playing together here people, combined with the mass bird deaths, this could be another sign of the apocalypse.